UK LLB + US LLM v UK LLB + JD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
oakhan22

UK LLB + US LLM v UK LLB + JD

Postby oakhan22 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:28 am

About to get done with my LLB in less than a week. I hope on working in the US, but I am conflicted as to opt for the LLM in the US or the JD. LLM will fulfill the 1 year in an American law school requirement for the NY bar, but will it actually lead to employment opportunities, or is spending 3 more years on legal education necessary? The arguments I can come up with in favor of the JD is the environment and the aspect of interacting with people from the legal profession and the internship opportunities which eventually lead to job opportunities, but the financial constraints are a major concern since an LLM would cost a lot less. Also, I was hoping if having done my LLB I would be exempted from certain courses in the JD allowing me to complete it in less than 3 years time.

guano

Re: UK LLB + US LLM v UK LLB + JD

Postby guano » Mon May 27, 2013 12:37 am

First question is, what kind of work are you looking to do?

Generally, a JD is far more marketable than an LLB+LLM, though this depends on the schools involved

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am

LLMs have extremely little marketability. Most foreign LLMs graduating even from the very best US LLM programs have no job offers in the United States at any level and return to their home countries. The exceptions are pretty much exclusively people who had highly in-demand, marketable skills before the LLM and used the LLM solely for US eligibility. Since you're only just graduating from your LLB program, that's not you.

If you want to work in the US, you have to do the JD. (Of course, only some JDs are worthwhile.)

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I chose the JD, got into a much better school than I would have for an LLM, am working at a V10 this summer, and generally have much better opportunities now than when I graduated from my LLB or than I would have with an LLM. No regrets.

Prohairesis

Postby Prohairesis » Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey dood, couple of things you might be interested to hear..

Your LLB alone makes you eligible for the NY bar, as long as you didn't go to like... Open University. Unfortunately, bar passage won't particularly help your job prospects.

Also, do some hardcore attorney searching (or PM me) around London offices of top US firms. You'll find a number of cases where people went Oxford BA (well, you know what that means) --> Harvard/Chicago/Duke LLM ---> top US firm in London. I think LLMs at most other t14s are a bit older on average. IIRC, there's one Vandy and one GW LLM in the mix too.

I'm not talking about the people doing TC's either. 4 years of education and a US biglaw (or government) salary is pretty hot. You can also just take the QLTT after working for 2 years once you've passed the NY bar so as to make use of both law degrees. The barrier to entry for biglaw via this method seems to be an Oxford degree.

Also, the JD programs at Chicago, Yale, Penn, and Duke allow you to get a year of advanced standing through your LLB.
You could probably make an LLM work, you just have to be ridiculously distinguished.

I'm an American doing a UK LLB, for the record.

oakhan22

Postby oakhan22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Prohairesis wrote:Hey dood, couple of things you might be interested to hear..

Your LLB alone makes you eligible for the NY bar, as long as you didn't go to like... Open University. Unfortunately, bar passage won't particularly help your job prospects.

Also, do some hardcore attorney searching (or PM me) around London offices of top US firms. You'll find a number of cases where people went Oxford BA (well, you know what that means) --> Harvard/Chicago/Duke LLM ---> top US firm in London. I think LLMs at most other t14s are a bit older on average. IIRC, there's one Vandy and one GW LLM in the mix too.

I'm not talking about the people doing TC's either. 4 years of education and a US biglaw (or government) salary is pretty hot. You can also just take the QLTT after working for 2 years once you've passed the NY bar so as to make use of both law degrees. The barrier to entry for biglaw via this method seems to be an Oxford degree.

Also, the JD programs at Chicago, Yale, Penn, and Duke allow you to get a year of advanced standing through your LLB.
You could probably make an LLM work, you just have to be ridiculously distinguished.

Knew about my eligibility for the NY bar. Also know that giving the bar wont effect my employment prospects. One of th reasons I want to go for the JD is because London has no employment oppertunities for internationals (Note: Not a UK citizen, but my country's legal system is a common law derivative so an English LLB is looked at more favourably). Also, there is the fact that I am of the opinoin that my law school experience was rather abysmal, and I hoping to compensate for that with a JD.
London based attourney searches are pointless for me. UK demarcates lawyers into Barristers and Soliciters, with litigation restricted only to Barristers. And not to sound pathetic, but I have never seen a non-white Barrister. I went to University College London. Its right beneath Oxbridge in the rankings. But its not Oxbridge. Trust me that isnt really an option.
I am looking at JD programs that give me an advance standing though. Thanks a lot.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:15 am

If your goal is to find work in the US, then you should do a JD. The only people I know of doing LLMs are established lawyers in their home countries who plan to return.

That said, as an international, anything below T14 is extremely risky and financially unwise. Options outside of biglaw (midlaw, government, etc.) do not exist for you and me. I remember you wrote in another thread that your first attempt at the LSAT was 151, so if you intend to go ahead with applying to JD programs, you'd better get 170+.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Advanced standing at most of these places is discretionary, and likely to mess up the recruitment calendar.

Also, be aware of visa and financial aid issues if you're not a citizen. IIRC, only H & Y provide aid on an equal basis for domestic and international.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

oakhan22 wrote:

Knew about my eligibility for the NY bar. Also know that giving the bar wont effect my employment prospects. One of th reasons I want to go for the JD is because London has no employment oppertunities for internationals (Note: Not a UK citizen, but my country's legal system is a common law derivative so an English LLB is looked at more favourably). Also, there is the fact that I am of the opinoin that my law school experience was rather abysmal, and I hoping to compensate for that with a JD.
London based attourney searches are pointless for me. UK demarcates lawyers into Barristers and Soliciters, with litigation restricted only to Barristers. And not to sound pathetic, but I have never seen a non-white Barrister. I went to University College London. Its right beneath Oxbridge in the rankings. But its not Oxbridge. Trust me that isnt really an option.
I am looking at JD programs that give me an advance standing though. Thanks a lot.

I've seen some Indian barristers, but not so many other non-white ones. The bar's diversity leaves a lot to be desired.

Return to “Legal Employment”