First day as an SA at a midsize firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm starting an SA position at a midsize firm in NYC on tuesday... its not very structured like a big firm, and there will only be one or two other SA's maximum. What should I expect when I walk in the first day? Will I probably just be sent to a partner that has work and immediately get started, or will there be some meet and greet formalities?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Curious about this as well. Starting at a smaller satellite office of a bigger firm (about 20 attys, 2 SAs) and would appreciate some insight.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 26, 2013 3:21 pm

They'll show you your office, walk you through the office to meet the partners, associates, etc. Then they will set up your email/computer, teach you how billing works, likely take you all out to lunch that day, and then you'll sit there for like 5 mins before a random attorney walks in and asks you to research if spreading cremated ashes over the sea is a EPA violation, not because its for a client, but because they are "just wondering" (true story).

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Lincoln » Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:They'll show you your office, walk you through the office to meet the partners, associates, etc. Then they will set up your email/computer, teach you how billing works, likely take you all out to lunch that day, and then you'll sit there for like 5 mins before a random attorney walks in and asks you to research if spreading cremated ashes over the sea is a EPA violation, not because its for a client, but because they are "just wondering" (true story).


That's the best story of a first day so far.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Lincoln wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:They'll show you your office, walk you through the office to meet the partners, associates, etc. Then they will set up your email/computer, teach you how billing works, likely take you all out to lunch that day, and then you'll sit there for like 5 mins before a random attorney walks in and asks you to research if spreading cremated ashes over the sea is a EPA violation, not because its for a client, but because they are "just wondering" (true story).


That's the best story of a first day so far.


I had an entire internship consist of the attorney who pointed at list of assignments and told me to start writing a research memo on the one that seemed most interesting and then work my way through the others. About halfway through the list, I asked what it was a list of. He said it was things he had always wondered about, but never had time to research for himself.

Itinerant
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Itinerant » Sun May 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Lincoln wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:They'll show you your office, walk you through the office to meet the partners, associates, etc. Then they will set up your email/computer, teach you how billing works, likely take you all out to lunch that day, and then you'll sit there for like 5 mins before a random attorney walks in and asks you to research if spreading cremated ashes over the sea is a EPA violation, not because its for a client, but because they are "just wondering" (true story).


That's the best story of a first day so far.


midsize firm/regional biglaw here.

expect some unbillable assignments as favors for friends of partners.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:49 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:They'll show you your office, walk you through the office to meet the partners, associates, etc. Then they will set up your email/computer, teach you how billing works, likely take you all out to lunch that day, and then you'll sit there for like 5 mins before a random attorney walks in and asks you to research if spreading cremated ashes over the sea is a EPA violation, not because its for a client, but because they are "just wondering" (true story).


That's the best story of a first day so far.


I had an entire internship consist of the attorney who pointed at list of assignments and told me to start writing a research memo on the one that seemed most interesting and then work my way through the others. About halfway through the list, I asked what it was a list of. He said it was things he had always wondered about, but never had time to research for himself.
This actually seems kind of awesome (at least for a while). Learn to produce a good product on projects that don't matter, so you're not fucking up anything important, but that your supervisor actually is interested in so your work is appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I didn't do jack shit during my first 2 days as a SA last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't do jack shit during my first 2 days as a SA last year.


Same for me this year. Nothing really for the first two days after orientation. Work picked up a bit towards the end of the week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I was the only SA at a midlaw firm. From my experience, the first day will involve meeting a lot of support staff whose names you'll immediately forget, and then being taught how to use the billing system but not what block billing is and that you need to not do it (this will later be held against you in a performance review). Then you'll get a couple of pretty basic research assignments while people figure out if you're smart enough to trust. If you have halfway decent Westlaw skillz, you should be just fine on that one. You will drop a footnote into a memo indicating that a particular piece of legal jargon would be a sweet name for a death metal band, and then be chastized for unprofessionalism when that memo is sent to a client without first having been proof-read. That night, you will go out with the other associates and get Charlie Sheen drunk. This will be the first of many such instances. In about 10 weeks, you will briefly be surprised upon discovering that you were no-offered, but, upon further reflection, you'll realize that you can't really blame them.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was the only SA at a midlaw firm. From my experience, the first day will involve meeting a lot of support staff whose names you'll immediately forget, and then being taught how to use the billing system but not what block billing is and that you need to not do it (this will later be held against you in a performance review). Then you'll get a couple of pretty basic research assignments while people figure out if you're smart enough to trust. If you have halfway decent Westlaw skillz, you should be just fine on that one. You will drop a footnote into a memo indicating that a particular piece of legal jargon would be a sweet name for a death metal band, and then be chastized for unprofessionalism when that memo is sent to a client without first having been proof-read. That night, you will go out with the other associates and get Charlie Sheen drunk. This will be the first of many such instances. In about 10 weeks, you will briefly be surprised upon discovering that you were no-offered, but, upon further reflection, you'll realize that you can't really blame them.


Footnote plz

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: First day as an SA at a midsize firm

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
I had an entire internship consist of the attorney who pointed at list of assignments and told me to start writing a research memo on the one that seemed most interesting and then work my way through the others. About halfway through the list, I asked what it was a list of. He said it was things he had always wondered about, but never had time to research for himself.
This actually seems kind of awesome (at least for a while). Learn to produce a good product on projects that don't matter, so you're not fucking up anything important, but that your supervisor actually is interested in so your work is appreciated.


Yeah, this was an internship where they made clear there was no job at the end. So that made it a bit less fulfilling.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.