Summer Receptions/ Open House announcements in Symplicity

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Receptions/ Open House announcements in Symplicity

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 pm

What is the deal with these receptions (obviously a meet and greet sort of thing but I dunno)? How important are they for a rising 2L to attend? I only ask because my summer internship is in a different state than where the law firm/ reception is being held, and attending would require a day off (or two) and a flight home.

This firm is in my home market, and I would consider going if it increased my chances at securing a 2L SA next summer.

rad lulz

Re: Summer Receptions/ Open House announcements in Symplicity

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I wouldn't pay for a flight. If your parents want to cop or something and you want to take a lil vacay and you're internship isn't all that rigorous then go for it.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay for a flight. If your parents want to cop or something and you want to take a lil vacay and you're internship isn't all that rigorous then go for it.

This. I didn't get much gain out of it beyond the free food (which was always good.) The busier ones are more annoying because the students crowd around the attorneys and it's hard to have a good conversation/make a connection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 7:24 pm

jbiresq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay for a flight. If your parents want to cop or something and you want to take a lil vacay and you're internship isn't all that rigorous then go for it.

This. I didn't get much gain out of it beyond the free food (which was always good.) The busier ones are more annoying because the students crowd around the attorneys and it's hard to have a good conversation/make a connection.

That makes sense. I suppose it's high enough in the V# to draw a large crowd. Based on your response, it sounds like the gains are probably not high enough to justify the cost of attendance.

Probably wont go unless there is a convincing reason to attend.

Return to “Legal Employment”