Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Shoot.

Jimbo_Jones
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu May 23, 2013 11:05 pm

What separates the good SAs from the bad ones?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Jimbo_Jones wrote:What separates the good SAs from the bad ones?


Enthusiasm helps a lot. I don't expect them to know anything, to have time to learn anything, to stay late, or to care. But if they gripe, or don't seem to have at least some interest in learning, it can be kind of a buzz kill.

Something some don't realize is that while they get to pick and choose firms/lunch dates/practice groups, I do what I do, theoretically forever. They don't have to love it, but it's still not going to win them any points to talk about how they hate/couldn't see themselves doing my job.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Cade McNown » Thu May 23, 2013 11:14 pm

If a SA is doing a longer-term (2+ week) assignment for you, how often should he/she give you progress reports.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Cade McNown wrote:If a SA is doing a longer-term (2+ week) assignment for you, how often should he/she give you progress reports.


I could care less. I didn't give them anything I couldn't do myself from start to finish between when I asked for it and when it actually needs to be done, if it needs to be done at all.

On the flip side, occasional check-ins with intelligent questions are reassuring because it fills me with the naive hope that I might not have to do the work I gave them from scratch after I get it.

Of course, all of this assumes the work I gave them actually has to be done, which maybe isn't always true.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm

have you ever contributed to the no-offering of a summer associate and why

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:39 pm

In general or specific terms, what do you expect out of the SA's that you work with?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have you ever contributed to the no-offering of a summer associate and why


I cover for my summers. Our recruiter flat out asked me about a potential screw up / attitude issue with one, and I smoothed it over. Not my job to make this environment any more stressful or competitive unless somebody truly screws the pooch.

jrsbaseball5 wrote:In general or specific terms, what do you expect out of the SA's that you work with?


Enthusiasm, signs of thinking, timeliness, and a lack of sloppiness. I want it to be obvious that you put in effort, did your best to do so while hitting the deadline, and engaged with the project even though you aren't likely to have the experience to do it properly or efficiently (yet).

For the most part, everyone meets or exceeds those standards.

6lehderjets
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby 6lehderjets » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for doing this. Do you notice any difference in the work quality between the SAs who have prior substantive (legal or non-legal) work experience opposed to K-JDs SAs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Thanks for doing this. Do you notice any difference in the work quality between the SAs who have prior substantive (legal or non-legal) work experience opposed to K-JDs SAs?


Sort of. I definitely notice when somebody has years of relevant experience, but I'm younger myself so I also notice and appreciate people closer to my age on a personal level. What you bring from your background will always pale in comparison to what you learn on the job, at least doing what I do though.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 am

ajax adonis wrote:Have you ever had SAs older than you? How was that? Different in any way?

Do you ever prejudge SAs based on what school they go to?

Can you tell the difference between SAs that might have gone to a TTT school vs. a T10 school? Any correlation between school rank and quality of SA?

Any funny stories?

Thanks.


The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. I work at a firm on the "prestigious" end of the scale, and our hiring is heavily concentrated at top schools or the absolute top of the class at other schools.

There are some students from top schools (read: Yale) who clearly have their heads in academic or other clouds, but (rightly) assume they can enjoy an awesome, highly-compensated summer. Generally they're smart and neurotic enough that they aren't doing awful work, but they don't have the same "I must get this job" fervor that the #1 student from the local TT/TTT does.

And for the record, there's no discernible difference in intelligence or talent - just commitment to the summer cause.

I'm not saying it's good or required to give 110% all summer, just that the person from a T100 school is, on average, more likely to than the person from HYS.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Peyton » Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. I work at a firm on the "prestigious" end of the scale...

That post was absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately, posters pretending to be “V-whatever Associates” are not a rarity. Yesterday Dailygrind banned a bogus poster for pulling everyone’s chain. Given your idiotic post, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are that same poster going anonymous.

Please do not come back and claim you “really are” an associate at a firm. It would be way too laughable.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 am

Peyton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. I work at a firm on the "prestigious" end of the scale...

That post was absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately, posters pretending to be “V-whatever Associates” are not a rarity. Yesterday Dailygrind banned a bogus poster for pulling everyone’s chain. Given your idiotic post, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are that same poster going anonymous.

Please do not come back and claim you “really are” an associate at a firm. It would be way too laughable.

Smart kids at shitty schools? MADNESS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 am

ajax adonis wrote:Have you ever had SAs older than you? How was that? Different in any way?.

I have one who won't shut the fuck up about what a baby I am/everyone else and how old and experienced she is. She's fucking 28, mind you.

User avatar
ragelion
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby ragelion » Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Have you ever had SAs older than you? How was that? Different in any way?.

I have one who won't shut the fuck up about what a baby I am/everyone else and how old and experienced she is. She's fucking 28, mind you.

Meant to not post this anon.

User avatar
ragelion
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby ragelion » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 am

Peyton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. I work at a firm on the "prestigious" end of the scale...

That post was absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately, posters pretending to be “V-whatever Associates” are not a rarity. Yesterday Dailygrind banned a bogus poster for pulling everyone’s chain. Given your idiotic post, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are that same poster going anonymous.

Please do not come back and claim you “really are” an associate at a firm. It would be way too laughable.

LOL at this.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Peyton » Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 am

I am on the Supreme Court and I remember my days of supervising SAs. There was this one who always turned my head.

Ohhhh no, I meant to post as anonymous.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 am

Peyton wrote:I am on the Supreme Court and I remember my days of supervising SAs. There was this one who always turned my head.

Ohhhh no, I meant to post as anonymous.

Please explain what was so unbelievable about kids at TTs being in the fights of their lives to cling to a job.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Peyton » Sat May 25, 2013 9:06 am

Danger Zone wrote:Please explain what was so unbelievable about kids at TTs being in the fights of their lives to cling to a job.

First, that is not what was said. So you do not have to figure out how to scroll up, here is what was written.

The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality.

If this is true then TTT/Cooley will all have a terrific new advertising slogan.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 am

Peyton wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Please explain what was so unbelievable about kids at TTs being in the fights of their lives to cling to a job.

First, that is not what was said. So you do not have to figure out how to scroll up, here is what was written.

The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality.

If this is true then TTT/Cooley will all have a terrific new advertising slogan.

Except he meant students at his firm, which only hires the very top of the class from the "TTT/Cooley."

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22826
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am

Peyton wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Please explain what was so unbelievable about kids at TTs being in the fights of their lives to cling to a job.

First, that is not what was said. So you do not have to figure out how to scroll up, here is what was written.

The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality.

If this is true then TTT/Cooley will all have a terrific new advertising slogan.

Dude, there's nothing remotely unbelievable about this statement (whether the OP is real or not, I have no idea). The point was that the crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality the work of the SAs at his/her firm, not the students from that school overall. The firm doubtless hires a tiny percentage of students from such schools, and there's nothing especially controversial in the idea that the top 1-5% of students at a crappy school can excel anywhere. Plus, given the firm is at the "prestigious" end of the scale, I highly doubt "crappy" in this context really means Cooley. It probably means Fordham.

ETA: And yes, yes, yes, someone will probably point out that it's the non-T14 people making these arguments. Doesn't make them wrong.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Peyton » Sat May 25, 2013 9:26 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:There's nothing remotely unbelievable about this statement (whether the OP is real or not, I have no idea).... I highly doubt "crappy" in this context really means Cooley. It probably means Fordham.

I suppose their advertising campaign will now have to read. The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. If you are at the top of your class, unless you attend Fordham.

Seriously, I am not doubting any SA/student that attends whatever school, but the poster (IMO) is as bogus as the one Dailygrind booted yesterday.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 am

Peyton wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:There's nothing remotely unbelievable about this statement (whether the OP is real or not, I have no idea).... I highly doubt "crappy" in this context really means Cooley. It probably means Fordham.

I suppose their advertising campaign will now have to read. The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. If you are at the top of your class, unless you attend Fordham.

Seriously, I am not doubting any SA/student that attends whatever school, but the poster (IMO) is as bogus as the one Dailygrind booted yesterday.

But your reason for believing the poster is bogus is asinine, which is why we are all laughing at you.

nucky thompson
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Big firm associate working with a team of summers; AMA.

Postby nucky thompson » Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am

Peyton wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:There's nothing remotely unbelievable about this statement (whether the OP is real or not, I have no idea).... I highly doubt "crappy" in this context really means Cooley. It probably means Fordham.

I suppose their advertising campaign will now have to read. The crappier the school, the more uniformly high quality. If you are at the top of your class, unless you attend Fordham.

Seriously, I am not doubting any SA/student that attends whatever school, but the poster (IMO) is as bogus as the one Dailygrind booted yesterday.



hey sherlock, how about you just GTFO of this thread? the guy may be fake, but other posters dont need you vetting any source they use to gather information




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.