Evaluations over the summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Evaluations over the summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Was curious what a normal firm is taking into account when deciding whether to extend an offer. Do they write reviews about everything you did? Do they ask your so called "mentor" or ask people who went out to lunch with you? Do they ask the staff?

I'm sure it's a combination, but was just wondering what to look for over the summer in terms of understanding how you're evaluated in that hiring committee room that last week.

Bronte

Re: Evaluations over the summer

Postby Bronte » Thu May 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Most big firms are not deciding whether to extend you an offer, but rather checking to make sure that you have not manifested any of the rare traits that warrant a no offer. This of course is not true at firms that use the SA as a true screening device, having offer rates substantially less than 100%. I can't speak to those firms.

Your post shows some early signs of SA psychosis. Do they ask the people you went to lunch with and the staff about you? I don't think so, but maybe someone will tell me different. Of course, you should be nice and normal to everyone, including at lunch and especially to the staff. But you should not get into a Big Brother mindset that they are watching your every move.

At my firm, your immediate supervisor on every matter you worked on submitted an evaluation of you to the person managing the summer program in your group. These evaluations were understood throughout the firm to be a softball thing, and essentially no one was going to write something negative about you on one of them unless you did something outrageous.

You should work hard and be nice. But try not to get paranoid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you! That is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 pm

I agree with Bronte. At my firm, no one asks the associates about their interactions with the summers, and I'm not going to waste the hiring partners' time discussing a summer's social behavior unless I observe something truly disturbing (hate speech, etc.). Anyone who assigns a project to a summer completes an evaluation, but those evaluations are mainly just there to show that the summer can follow directions, write in complete sentences, proofread, etc. If your firm typically gives 90%+ offers, you don't have anything to worry about as long as you don't do anything terribly stupid.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Just don't fuck up. With that said, there are levels of fucking up.

For instance, I fucked up at my 1L SA pretty badly. Did a really shit job of proofing something I handed out to an associate. I also managed to let myself get overloaded and miss a deadline. Both times I was admonished but invited back for next year. The proofing thing was one of my first assignments and the associate just laughed about it with me and told me to proof better. The time I missed the deadline did piss him off, but it wasn't a "hard" deadline and I was able to complete the assignment.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 pm

On a related note, where can we find out what a firm's offer rate are? aside from reputation/word-of-mouth

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 pm

mr.hands wrote:On a related note, where can we find out what a firm's offer rate are? aside from reputation/word-of-mouth

Nalp if they are listed. If they're not listed you're stuck with word of mouth afaik.

Return to “Legal Employment”