Cook County ASA Class of 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cook County ASA Class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Does anyone known a good place to get an apartment? I'm willing to spend about $1400 a month, but I feel like there are good neighborhoods that are closer to work that don't cost as much. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because I already know about Palos Heights and some other suburbs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone known a good place to get an apartment? I'm willing to spend about $1400 a month, but I feel like there are good neighborhoods that are closer to work that don't cost as much. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because I already know about Palos Heights and some other suburbs.

Kinda depends on what you are looking for. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Might have to give more details before suggestions can be made.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 pm

I am also interested in this. I don't mind a commute. I am looking for a nice neighborhood that is safe. I am willing to spend $1500 per month. I also would like parking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone known a good place to get an apartment? I'm willing to spend about $1400 a month, but I feel like there are good neighborhoods that are closer to work that don't cost as much. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because I already know about Palos Heights and some other suburbs.

Kinda depends on what you are looking for. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Might have to give more details before suggestions can be made.

I'm looking for a two bedroom apartment in a relatively safe neighborhood, and I don't mind commuting so long as its not longer than thirty minutes one way. Access to really good preschools would be a plus too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:03 pm

I mean, there are a lot of neighborhoods nearby. Everywhere in Chicago is accessible via the el (train). Don't know if you plan to drive to get around (good luck with parking) but there are a ton of neighborhoods within 30mins or less via train ride. Maybe check out the Lincoln Park/ Near North Side areas? Those tend to be a little nicer and are very close to downtown. I would probably say don't go too south and don't go too north. The western part of the city is up and coming and accessible via the blue line. Maybe check out Wicker Park or Bucktown. Just a few suggestions on neighborhoods you may be interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for the help. I am going to check out the neighborhoods you mentioned. Is there an area most ASAs live in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm looking for a two bedroom apartment in a relatively safe neighborhood, and I don't mind commuting so long as its not longer than thirty minutes one way. Access to really good preschools would be a plus too.

Do you want to live in Chicago or the suburbs? As far as a two bedroom for $1,400 a month you probably won't find that in Lincoln Park/Near North side. I don't know where good preschools are, but I recommend you look in Uptown/Edgewater/Andersonville (North side). I've heard that this area is family friendly, lots of parks. If you're right by the train, the commute into downtown is about 40 minutes. Or you can look out west: Bucktown, Logan Square (although I'm not sold that that neighborhood is safe), stay out of Humboldt Park. I grew up in Logan Square, right by Humboldt Park, and I'm never going there again. I just got a two bedroom in Uptown. The area is gentrifying quickly. Very family friendly, although I admit some parks SEEM sketchy because they still look old. But areas that are gentrifying tend to have spots like that. Right by the Lake too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Awesome! Great job. I still have not got mine back but I will as soon as I get my score. Congrats your hard work is paying off!

I want to work with this person!! I'm loving the encouragement!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey Awesome! Great job. I still have not got mine back but I will as soon as I get my score. Congrats your hard work is paying off!

I want to work with this person!! I'm loving the encouragement!

Your welcome! I also got my essay and received a 4 and breathed the same sigh of relief! Good luck with your move.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to live in Chicago or the suburbs? As far as a two bedroom for $1,400 a month you probably won't find that in Lincoln Park/Near North side. I don't know where good preschools are, but I recommend you look in Uptown/Edgewater/Andersonville (North side). I've heard that this area is family friendly, lots of parks. If you're right by the train, the commute into downtown is about 40 minutes. Or you can look out west: Bucktown, Logan Square (although I'm not sold that that neighborhood is safe), stay out of Humboldt Park. I grew up in Logan Square, right by Humboldt Park, and I'm never going there again. I just got a two bedroom in Uptown. The area is gentrifying quickly. Very family friendly, although I admit some parks SEEM sketchy because they still look old. But areas that are gentrifying tend to have spots like that. Right by the Lake too.

A quick word of caution about Uptown: it is indeed gentrifying - in part because of an alderman who is trying to drive the homeless out of his ward through various controversial measures. However, while the neighborhood is in transition it still sees its fair share of violence, so if you have preschool-aged kids you might want to wait a year or two before considering Uptown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to live in Chicago or the suburbs? As far as a two bedroom for $1,400 a month you probably won't find that in Lincoln Park/Near North side. I don't know where good preschools are, but I recommend you look in Uptown/Edgewater/Andersonville (North side). I've heard that this area is family friendly, lots of parks. If you're right by the train, the commute into downtown is about 40 minutes. Or you can look out west: Bucktown, Logan Square (although I'm not sold that that neighborhood is safe), stay out of Humboldt Park. I grew up in Logan Square, right by Humboldt Park, and I'm never going there again. I just got a two bedroom in Uptown. The area is gentrifying quickly. Very family friendly, although I admit some parks SEEM sketchy because they still look old. But areas that are gentrifying tend to have spots like that. Right by the Lake too.

A quick word of caution about Uptown: it is indeed gentrifying - in part because of an alderman who is trying to drive the homeless out of his ward through various controversial measures. However, while the neighborhood is in transition it still sees its fair share of violence, so if you have preschool-aged kids you might want to wait a year or two before considering Uptown.

Thanks for the information. I've heard nothing but bad things about Humboldt since I've been looking, even though they're trying to get people to go there because of the gut-rehabs. They look enticing, but whenever I see "Section 8 accepted," or "Section 8 ONLY" I tend to stay out of those areas and keep them off the list. So far, I'm look at Palos Heights and Hills, Downer's Grove, and Tinley Park. I am curious though; how far is "too north, and too south." I'm just curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:37 am

Were you the one saying you only want a 30 min commute? Downers Grove, Tinley Park, and Palos are starting to get pretty far out. No way you'll be anywhere near 30 min. In fact, if you want 30 min or less you'll probably have to stay within the city limits. Also, Downers Grove is not in Cook County, if you feel like that's important.

When people say don't go too far south or west, they're talking about the city, not the suburbs. So if you're just looking at 'burbs, it doesn't apply to you. But if you're looking at the city, I would say don't go much farther west than Western Ave, or much farther south than Roosevelt. Those are rough guidelines - of course there are neighborhoods outside of those boundaries that are fine, and neighborhoods inside that are not fine. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods, feel free to post them here. And maybe other people who have different ideas of boundaries can chime in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you the one saying you only want a 30 min commute? Downers Grove, Tinley Park, and Palos are starting to get pretty far out. No way you'll be anywhere near 30 min. In fact, if you want 30 min or less you'll probably have to stay within the city limits. Also, Downers Grove is not in Cook County, if you feel like that's important.

When people say don't go too far south or west, they're talking about the city, not the suburbs. So if you're just looking at 'burbs, it doesn't apply to you. But if you're looking at the city, I would say don't go much farther west than Western Ave, or much farther south than Roosevelt. Those are rough guidelines - of course there are neighborhoods outside of those boundaries that are fine, and neighborhoods inside that are not fine. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods, feel free to post them here. And maybe other people who have different ideas of boundaries can chime in.

I agree with the above post. Commute from the suburbs, unless you live right by a Metra line, will take you 1 hour at least. But if you live right by one of the Metra lines, you'll be fine. Also, keep in mind that I'm pretty sure we are required to live in Cook County technically. I don't know if they enforce this though.

I agree with the boundaries too. West of Western is Humboldt Park and it doesn't get much better if you go further west. South of Roosevelt starts getting sketchy. But there are some places like Bridgeport which are fine. As far as how far north within the city limits, the neighborhood's don't get dangerous like Humboldt Park, but the commute gets longer. I say if you stay south of Foster and right by an El station, you're commute will be around 45 minutes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:41 pm

With regards to the Metra, it will depend on your assignment. For example, I don't think any of the misdemeanors locations are very accessible by either the Metra or the El. You'll have to drive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for all the information. If I have to drive does the office provide parking? I am assuming probably not, but I thought I would ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:12 pm

If anyone is interested for commute purposes, here are the locations of all first assignments. My guess is there is free parking at all the 1st Municipal locations, which are attached to police stations, but probably not at Child Support or Appeals (which are downtown and easily accessible by public transit). Although maybe you'd get a discounted rate for a garage spot downtown if you prefer to drive. Not sure.

Child Support
28 N. Clark St.

Appeals
50 W. Washington St.

1st Municipal
Branch 23
5555 W. Grand Ave.

Branch 29
2452 W. Belmont Ave.

Branch 34
155 W. 51st St.

Branch 35
727 E. 111th St.

Branch 43
3150 W. Flournoy St.

Branch 46
2650 S. California Ave.

If you map out the locations, you can see that they are pretty spread out, so it might be tough to plan an apartment location based on commute. Although, Child Support and Appeals are both pretty central, and we have more of a chance of being assigned to one of those two locations than to any of the boonie locations of the 1st Municipal.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Your map is awesome and so helpful. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Seconded; that map is extremely helpful. I look forward to working with you folks, all of you are very helpful and encourage one another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 pm

So is everyone still alive after that simulated MBE?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re neighborhoods:

If you have a young family, I'd highly recommend looking at the NW side. Neighborhoods like Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park and Edgebrook. They have the top Chicago public schools, are extremely safe and very family-friendly. They are also accessible via CTA or Metra. Of those neighborhoods though, only Edison Park as any semblance of a nightlife (great restaurants & bars).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re neighborhoods:

If you have a young family, I'd highly recommend looking at the NW side. Neighborhoods like Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park and Edgebrook. They have the top Chicago public schools, are extremely safe and very family-friendly. They are also accessible via CTA or Metra. Of those neighborhoods though, only Edison Park as any semblance of a nightlife (great restaurants & bars).

Thanks a lot for the info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Has anyone received any information regarding test location/ venue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any information regarding test location/ venue?

GREAT question. Was just gonna ask the same thing myself. I haven't gotten my ticket yet...and it's getting pretty close to the wire right?

My BarBri materials say the test is administered in various locations within several blocks of Water Tower, and I know that's how it's been in the past for the July test. But the website seems to indicate that everyone's going to be at the UIC Pavilion. Does anyone else get that impression?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Also, has anyone heard anything back from Character & Fitness?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I have heard nothing from the character and fitness committee nor have I received my bar test admission ticket. I am guessing at the UIC pavilion because of the directions posted on the website. Good luck all I am trying not to pull out my hair with bar prep at this point. Barbri is killing me!

Return to “Legal Employment”