Cover Letters & Mentioning Personal Connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover Letters & Mentioning Personal Connections

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm getting applications ready for the next swing of applications and I wondered if there was a consensus on mentioning when you've met with or know people at the firm in a cover letter?

I suppose you could include it as an explanation for your interest? In meeting with X and Y during my visit to your office I enjoyed X Y and especially the free coffee?

I'm not talking about I met you once at a networking type contacts, but people you have a relationship with. For large firms obviously that participate in an OCI / jobfair type situation.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacksonmead

Re: Cover Letters & Mentioning Personal Connections

Postby jacksonmead » Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Also interested in this, if you've met an associate for an informational interview should you mention that in your cover letter? What about a partner?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes to both. "John Smith suggested I apply when he kindly met with me to discuss my interest in [whatever law the firm practices]," or something along those lines. (Only if they actually did suggest you apply, though - otherwise, something like "I became especially interested in your firm after meeting with John Smith and hearing about [all their wonderful work in whatever area of law].")

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm

I think you normally at least ask if you can mention them in the CL...but maybe not

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 am

+1

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes to both. "John Smith suggested I apply when he kindly met with me to discuss my interest in [whatever law the firm practices]," or something along those lines. (Only if they actually did suggest you apply, though - otherwise, something like "I became especially interested in your firm after meeting with John Smith and hearing about [all their wonderful work in whatever area of law].")

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:57 am

lolwat wrote:I think you normally at least ask if you can mention them in the CL...but maybe not

Yes to both. "John Smith suggested I apply when he kindly met with me to discuss my interest in [whatever law the firm practices]," or something along those lines. (Only if they actually did suggest you apply, though - otherwise, something like "I became especially interested in your firm after meeting with John Smith and hearing about [all their wonderful work in whatever area of law].")

That is essentially what I wrote. I didn't really ask, so much as to send them a quick email that I was going to send the cover letter that mentions our meeting. Wasn't really a problem. Don't really know how helpful it was since I ended up with an offer at the place I had no connection to at all.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 am

Yeah, some kind of heads up makes sense.

Return to “Legal Employment”