Following up on invitation to interview from networking?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Following up on invitation to interview from networking?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 9:24 am

I go to a T14 located far, far away from my hometown, a secondary market where I'm very intent on returning for personal reasons. I followed the advice of this post on networking and last month I had successful informational interviews with attorneys at two firms, one who I knew through family connections and one alumnus of my school. At the end of our conversations, one told me "If you'd be interested in working at [firm], pass along your resume and I can probably get you an interview" and the other said to follow up with him when I was next in town during recruiting season.

I've set aside a couple times when I'll be home this summer (I'm in a dual degree program so I have to spend most of the summer at school taking classes). How should I phrase my follow-ups with these people, given that they both invited me to apply/interview? Both of these firms are coming to my school's OCI, but I'd much rather go through the connections I've already made (one is a hiring partner, and the other is a senior associate who sits on the firm's recruiting committee) than take my chances with my school's lottery system for a screener interview with an attorney who probably doesn't work in the office I'm applying to. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

Re: Following up on invitation to interview from networking?

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am

What is complicated about this? Why not do what they suggested? Pass along your resume to the one. Go home, for whatever reason, and contact the other one. Send thank you notes when you're done.

Return to “Legal Employment”