Working in Newark, NJ: where to live? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working in Newark, NJ: where to live?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 am

I will begin a job in Newark this September, but am unfamiliar with the NYC Metro area in general and the North Jersey area in particular. Where do people generally live when they work in Newark? Philip Roth notwithstanding, the city itself does not seem to have a stellar reputation (although I've heard good things about the Ironbound). Many people probably live in the surrounding suburbs, but that requires driving, and I will not have the luxury of so doing.

What's the read on Hoboken and Jersey City? They're both off the PATH train. My impression, so far, is that Jersey City is more of a Biglaw/Financial District bedroom community (at least the area adjacent to the PATH; please correct me if I'm wrong) whereas Hoboken skews more towards students, suggesting that the latter of the two would be more affordable. What about easy access to grocery stores, things like TARGET, and the like? Manhattan is a distant, but unlikely option, given the added expense and NY taxes (I'd love to live in Brooklyn, which I've heard is certainly possible, but it may be too much of a hassle. Queens is out of the question, it seems).

I'd love to hear what TLS members have to say about these areas.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Working in Newark, NJ: where to live?

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 am

Unless you're working dat Jersey biglaw, you're not really paying much in taxes for that to be part of your consideration. I'm doing the reverse commute this summer and it seems like as long as you stay on a line that attaches to a PATH line (or on a PATH stop) you should be fine. I know some PATHs stop in BK so if you move there just make sure you're close b/c J train to whatever, to path to NJ + walk would be annoying as hell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am

Jersey City is great and much more affordable than Hoboken. Look for something in walking distance of the Grove Street or Newport path stations. There are some nice neighborhoods in walking distance of Grove Street, like Van Vorst or Hamilton parks. Jersey City has a decent food/nightlife scene, good farmers' markets, arts and culture, really nice parks, and really quick to get into the city. Lots of young professionals and families. Hoboken is expensive and really bro-y and fratty so I guess it depends on your preference.

As for groceries, there is a ShopRite near downtown and lots of little markets. I also knew people when I lived there who would take the path into the city for Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

I'm an 0L but lived in Jersey City for a year after undergrad while working in Newark. I drove to work but I needed a car for my job at the time - commuting by path is definitely doable. The only thing I hated about Jersey City was the parking situation so if you don't have to worry about that, it's probably a good fit.

I knew a couple people who lived in the Ironbound, so that might be worth checking out as well. The Spanish and Portugese food there is amazing. Not sure how the public transportation within the city is though, depending on where your office is that you're working. Not sure if the Ironbound is in walking distance of downtown - and if it is, whether that's a walk you'd want to be doing.

Anyway, if you want any more info I'm happy to switch to email or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 am

Def Jersey City. I live there now and love it. I interviewed at a bunch of Newark offices and tons of attorneys came from Jersey City. Path is super convenient to there, you can walk through the skybridge once you get there to many of the major buildings, etc.

amitty1019

Bronze

Post by amitty1019 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 am

I have lived in Newark for the past two years, and there are some good options in the downtown area- the 1180 building is the nicest apartment complex, but you could also try Renaissance towers a block away. The Ironbound neighborhood is also nice, safe, and affordable, with some really great Spanish/Portuguese/Brazilian places. I would check out JC and Hoboken first though- there's more going on there/it's a shorter PATH ride into NYC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Jersey City is great and much more affordable than Hoboken. Look for something in walking distance of the Grove Street or Newport path stations. There are some nice neighborhoods in walking distance of Grove Street, like Van Vorst or Hamilton parks. Jersey City has a decent food/nightlife scene, good farmers' markets, arts and culture, really nice parks, and really quick to get into the city. Lots of young professionals and families. Hoboken is expensive and really bro-y and fratty so I guess it depends on your preference.

As for groceries, there is a ShopRite near downtown and lots of little markets. I also knew people when I lived there who would take the path into the city for Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

I'm an 0L but lived in Jersey City for a year after undergrad while working in Newark. I drove to work but I needed a car for my job at the time - commuting by path is definitely doable. The only thing I hated about Jersey City was the parking situation so if you don't have to worry about that, it's probably a good fit.

I knew a couple people who lived in the Ironbound, so that might be worth checking out as well. The Spanish and Portugese food there is amazing. Not sure how the public transportation within the city is though, depending on where your office is that you're working. Not sure if the Ironbound is in walking distance of downtown - and if it is, whether that's a walk you'd want to be doing.

Anyway, if you want any more info I'm happy to switch to email or something.
OP here. This is very interesting; much of what I had been hearing pointed me towards Hoboken, but this is a great defense of JC.

Re. "affordable": I suppose that the issue I was having was that the big buildings around the Grove St. and other PATH lines seemed to be luxury/expensive, whereas Hoboken was rife with semi-affordable walkups. What kind of monthly damage is reasonable to expect in Van Vorst or Hamilton parks, and what sort of to-PATH commute do they have?

Does the Ironbound avoid many of the second-only-to-Camden stereotypes that are whispered about Newark proper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 am

I live within 3 blocks of Grove St. Path and pay under 800 a month. I share an apartment with 2 other roomies in a nice and modern house that is just into the residential neighborhood (which starts about 2 blocks from Grove st. Station). Oh and keep in mind that Jersey City gets you directly to Newark in one shot. From hoboken, you have to switch trains.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I live within 3 blocks of Grove St. Path and pay under 800 a month. I share an apartment with 2 other roomies in a nice and modern house that is just into the residential neighborhood (which starts about 2 blocks from Grove st. Station). Oh and keep in mind that Jersey City gets you directly to Newark in one shot. From hoboken, you have to switch trains.

Excellent point...and not bad, pricewise.

Is JC similar to NYC in its reliance on brokers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I live within 5 blocks of Grove St. Path and pay under 800 a month. I share an apartment with 2 other roomies in a nice and modern house that is just into the residential neighborhood (which starts about 2 blocks from Grove st. Station). Oh and keep in mind that Jersey City gets you directly to Newark in one shot. From hoboken, you have to switch trains.

Excellent point...and not bad, pricewise.

Is JC similar to NYC in its reliance on brokers?
Nah I just used craigslist and found a ton of options. Went to visit a few places and found one that is perfect for me. Been living here 2 years, just 5 min from path, and I commute to school in the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”