Belt-Buying Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Re: Belt-Buying Advice

Postby Bronte » Thu May 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This has zero to do with employment. You posted this in the wrong forum.

Disagree. I am starting to think it has everything to do with whether I will remain employed.

Bronte -- so I should be trying to get as close to the leather color as possible with the laces? E.g., orange-ish brown rather than a semi-contrasting darker chocolate brown?

I think either of those would be fine, orange-ish brown or a darker brown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 pm

With darker brown laces, would it work well with this belt?:

http://www.orionleathercompany.com/32mm ... govblk.htm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Stop posting anonymously. It's absurd.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With darker brown laces, would it work well with this belt?:

http://www.orionleathercompany.com/32mm ... govblk.htm

That's not really appropriate for work (biz or biz cas)

Srsly, just go to BB

Look at the brown belts

And get that belt or a belt just like that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only belts worth buying:

http://www.ferragamo.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... duct/27657

Lol at 300+ for a belt

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 6:59 pm

kaiser wrote:

Lol at 300+ for a belt

That's the way its done in BIGLAW bro.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Lol at 300+ for a belt

That's the way its done in BIGLAW bro.

Not at all necessary for big law.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This has zero to do with employment. You posted this in the wrong forum.

Disagree. I am starting to think it has everything to do with whether I will remain employed.

Bronte -- so I should be trying to get as close to the leather color as possible with the laces? E.g., orange-ish brown rather than a semi-contrasting darker chocolate brown?

This shouldn't be anonymous. And you are an idiot for thinking this will keep you employed.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Just buy this in black:

http://www.trafalgarstore.com/item/Brod ... lable/1620

All you need, price is right, and it will last forever.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Just buy this in black:

http://www.trafalgarstore.com/item/Brod ... lable/1620

All you need, price is right, and it will last forever.

I like that bro

OP get one of those

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 pm

They may great belts. I remember when I bought my first one being pissed off at paying $95 for a belt when I could get one at Old Navy for like $18. I think I was 21 or 22 then. Still have it, and it still looks just as good as it did then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Black for the belt -- not dark brown?

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm

If you want a good, cheap belt, go to Nordstrom Rack. Also, there's already a thread for mens' dress clothes. Go there and ask the question, or use the search feature, since it's already been asked.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Yes, black over dark brown.

And can an admin please out OP since this is the most ridiculous continuous use of anonymous posting in the history of ever?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed May 29, 2013 2:22 pm

kalvano wrote:And can an admin please out OP since this is the most ridiculous continuous use of anonymous posting in the history of ever?

I'd typically agree, but revealing the OP would reveal who bought those horrendous shoes; I think anonymous posting is warranted here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 pm

These shoes aren't my style but I think people are overplaying how bad they are. At my biglaw firm they wouldn't be nearly the ugliest shoes, and maybe not in the bottom 25%. The old ass partners are particularly bad with fugly rubber bottom shoes that look like cheap loafers with running shoe soles.

If you're a Summer, go get leather laces that are the same color as the shoes or fairly close. Then go to Ross/tj max/ Marshalls /some outlet mall and buy a plain leather dress belt that is from a name brand and that matches your brown shoes. I have a polo dress belt that I bought for $25.

If you're full time, save up and buy a conservative pair of black shoes and a plain black belt.

The goal is to wear plain conservative clothes until you (a) figure out how to dress and (b) figure out the culture of the firm.

horseradish

Postby horseradish » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:These shoes aren't my style but I think people are overplaying how bad they are. At my biglaw firm they wouldn't be nearly the ugliest shoes, and maybe not in the bottom 25%. The old ass partners are particularly bad with fugly rubber bottom shoes that look like cheap loafers with running shoe soles.

If you're a Summer, go get leather laces that are the same color as the shoes or fairly close. Then go to Ross/tj max/ Marshalls /some outlet mall and buy a plain leather dress belt that is from a name brand and that matches your brown shoes. I have a polo dress belt that I bought for $25.

If you're full time, save up and buy a conservative pair of black shoes and a plain black belt.

The goal is to wear plain conservative clothes until you (a) figure out how to dress and (b) figure out the culture of the firm.

Come on, belt has to match the shoes - brown belt, brown shoes; black belt, black shoes

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Lasers wrote:
kalvano wrote:And can an admin please out OP since this is the most ridiculous continuous use of anonymous posting in the history of ever?

I'd typically agree, but revealing the OP would reveal who bought those horrendous shoes; I think anonymous posting is warranted here.

Truth. That would be extremely embarrassing for OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 11:36 pm

horseradish wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:These shoes aren't my style but I think people are overplaying how bad they are. At my biglaw firm they wouldn't be nearly the ugliest shoes, and maybe not in the bottom 25%. The old ass partners are particularly bad with fugly rubber bottom shoes that look like cheap loafers with running shoe soles.

Come on, belt has to match the shoes - brown belt, brown shoes; black belt, black shoes

Of course. Did I say something different than that? I posted from my phone so sometimes that garbles up my posts.

horseradish

Postby horseradish » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
horseradish wrote:

Of course. Did I say something different than that? I posted from my phone so sometimes that garbles up my posts.

I must have misread. Apologies

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Tanicius wrote:Have a brown belt and a black belt.

This.

Tanicius wrote:You can get a fine-looking belt at Wal-Mart even.

Not this.

Trafalgar, Cole Haan, or similar will look great and get the job done for years. Go to an outlet mall or discounted high-end dept store (Nordstrom Rack, NM Last Call etc.)

Return to “Legal Employment”