Belt-Buying Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Belt-Buying Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm thinking about buying this belt: http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/jv-star-ba ... ather-belt. This would probably not be a Mon-Thur belt, but it's one that I would hope to be able to wear to business-casual events and at business events where I want to look a little snazzy but not business formal (like maybe with dark jeans).

...thoughts? If it helps, I would probably pair it with these shoes (already purchased): http://www.amazon.com/BED-STU-Mens-Manh ... B006LHBYQU.

Any suggestions about what else the belt would look nice with? Or, for that matter, how to build an outfit using the shoes? I like the shoes a fair bit but am struggling to really work them into my wardrobe.

Thanks!

(anon because I'm terribly embarrassed about my lack of fashion sense)
(posted in this forum because I saw some similar questions here -- apologies if this is the wrong place for this question)

rad lulz

Re: Belt-Buying Advice

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I don't like the shoes or the belt dood

Just go to Brooks Bros and pick up a belt

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:I don't like the shoes or the belt dood

Just go to Brooks Bros and pick up a belt

both are bad. Dont order shoes off Amazon unless you've seen them in person before (especially if they only have 2.5 stars..). The belt is OK but it's hard to tell just from looking at a pic.

Brooks Bros is very nice but if that's too expensive just check out Banana Republic, Nordstroms (expensive but you can find some more normal brands), Nordstrom Rack is great if you have one near you, and other normal stores you'd find in a decently nice mall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Ha, well, for what it's worth I've already gotten the shoes -- too late on that one. So the verdict is no on the belt? Can I ask why?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ha, well, for what it's worth I've already gotten the shoes -- too late on that one. So the verdict is no on the belt? Can I ask why?

Send the shoes back

Don't buy the best

It looks cheap and is not cool

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 10:50 pm

I bought the shoes on gilt and they can't be returned (also, I've worn them twice). I don't think they're as bad as you think -- I've actually gotten a number of compliments on them from people who are less clueless about dress than me. But that's besides the point because it's too late for me to return the shoes.

If I were to look for a belt to go with those shoes, does anyone have other tips about possibilities?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 pm

How is this a thread. Have a brown belt and a black belt. You can get a fine-looking belt at Wal-Mart even.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 pm

The issue is that the belt looks too casual and the shoes are too busy. Even if you're going for that kind of look, you'd be better off with this kind of belt:
http://www.trafalgarstore.com/item/Alfo ... lable/3604

and something closer to these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Those shoes are phenomenally hideous. And just go to Saks and buy a basic black Tumi dress belt. They last forever and aren't too outrageously priced.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bought the shoes on gilt and they can't be returned (also, I've worn them twice). I don't think they're as bad as you think -- I've actually gotten a number of compliments on them from people who are less clueless about dress than me. But that's besides the point because it's too late for me to return the shoes.

If I were to look for a belt to go with those shoes, does anyone have other tips about possibilities?

Burn them then

Or eBay them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 pm

I have a black belt and a cherry-brown belt and shoes that match (that I think you all would approve of). I am going for a more fashion-forward, more casual alternative to that look. Maybe I screwed up in buying the shoes, but I'm stuck with them now. I guess I'm looking forward for help finding a belt that matches the shoes as well as tips on how to wear the shoes in a way that makes them socially appropriate. I assume that you aren't suggesting that I wear a black belt with these shoes? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a black belt and a cherry-brown belt and shoes that match (that I think you all would approve of). I am going for a more fashion-forward, more casual alternative to that look. Maybe I screwed up in buying the shoes, but I'm stuck with them now. I guess I'm looking forward for help finding a belt that matches the shoes as well as tips on how to wear the shoes in a way that makes them socially appropriate. I assume that you aren't suggesting that I wear a black belt with these shoes? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Those shoes are not appropriate in any way, shape, or form for any type of professional function. You are not entering a "fashion forward" profession, and even more relaxed professions would smite you for those shoes. There is no belt to complement them, and there is no way to make them appropriate. Do not wear them to anything even vaguely professionally related. At all. Ever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 11:53 pm

What would be an appropriate setting to wear the shoes?

(Really, one of my compliments of the shoes came from wearing them to a business-casual event at work! I think maybe they look better in person?)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:What would be an appropriate setting to wear the shoes?

Any place there is a high likelihood of them getting stolen.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:What would be an appropriate setting to wear the shoes?

everyone hates them because you were talking about wearing them to work when they are casual shoes, and also probably because of the orange

get better laces and you can rock them in casual settings

nordicsair

Postby nordicsair » Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 am

What would be an appropriate setting to wear the shoes?

(Really, one of my compliments of the shoes came from wearing them to a business-casual event at work! I think maybe they look better in person?)

If these are your style, then feel free to wear them outside of work. Wear them with jeans or to a summer wedding. These, obviously, aren't your shoes for interviewing.
The big issues with your shoes are the white laces and brightly colored soles, both of which scream casual. Those might be ok on the occasional Friday, but that's about it. If you're into that coloring and pattern, save some money, and invest in something like these:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1

If you're still trying to figure out what to pair those non-work shoes with, pants in various shades of blue would do fine. Their coloring is pretty neutral, so you could really wear them with most colors.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 am

Holy shit you paid $245 for those shoes

Just leave them at a bowling alley

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 am

i was about to say you guys are absolute dicks, but then i scrolled back to the OP and finally saw the shoes.

holy fuck balls.

$245...geezus. OP, you should have gotten some brown loafers if you were looking for a nice business casual change of pace.

as for a belt, get a clean and simple belt. really, you can find a very clean and appropriate belt for very reasonable prices (definitely far under 80 bucks) at almost any clothing store.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:16 am

Wow. Those shoes are like a crappy casual rip off version of the AE Strand.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 am

TTRansfer wrote:Wow. Those shoes are like a crappy casual rip off version of the AE Strand.

Strands are captoe not wingtips, and Allen Edmonds didn't invent brogues bud

OP, the shoes will look good worn casually as evidenced by the compliments you've received (just not to work)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Fortunately, I got the shoes on sale (<$150). What color laces would you recommended switching to?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

ITT: We offer no mercy for someone's bad taste.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu May 23, 2013 1:17 am

Oh man OP you really got roasted here. Just get some laces that match the leather, and for God's sake only wear them outside of work. "Holy fuck balls." Lol.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 am

This has zero to do with employment. You posted this in the wrong forum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm

This has zero to do with employment. You posted this in the wrong forum.

Disagree. I am starting to think it has everything to do with whether I will remain employed.

Bronte -- so I should be trying to get as close to the leather color as possible with the laces? E.g., orange-ish brown rather than a semi-contrasting darker chocolate brown?

Return to “Legal Employment”