FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Does anyone have any information about post-graduation/bar passage (entry level attorney) hiring for the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection? When to apply; how to apply; how many people are typically accepted; are the people chosen mostly from the summer class or not; etc. There's a lot of information on TLS and elsewhere about the Bureau of Competition, but not much on the Bureau of Consumer Protection.

For example: This page (regarding the summer law clerk program), http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/lawclerk/index.shtm, mentions that summer law clerks may get offers for full time post-graduation employment. But the Bureau of Consumer Protection legal job opportunities page (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/recruit/jobs.html) points you to usajobs.gov to find job openings and provides little additional information. Contrast that with the Bureau of Competition which tells you specific date ranges they accept applications and what to include in your application packet. There is no similar information for the Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Any information anyone has would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 am

Bump. Anyone...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I am also interested in this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Hopefully someone out there has info on the BCP. Maybe BC is just bigger than BCP, hence the information disparity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Anyone at FTC BCP have any information about their position and hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm not sure this is 100% true, but I'd say I'm 97% certain they only hire people straight from law school if you were a part of their summer intern program. BC hires post-grads who were not apart of their summer program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure this is 100% true, but I'd say I'm 97% certain they only hire people straight from law school if you were a part of their summer intern program. BC hires post-grads who were not apart of their summer program.

Yes, I believe TITCR. I applied to FTC BC and BCP through my schools OCI, and both schedules stated that they fill their incoming entry-level class primarily with people that were a 2L summer clerk. IIRC, it was something small like 8 spots... but I dunno if that number is set in stone.

otherwise, work for a larger firm that has a significant antitrust practice and lateral into either Bureau.

edit: just saw you were looking for a current BCP attorney. HTH anyways.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm interested too. Am Jur'd my Info Privacy class, and I'd like to see what the job market is like in consumer protection and info privacy.

Why do people have to post this stuff anon?

Return to “Legal Employment”