NYC SA Dress Code: Pantyhose for the Ladies?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sea Urchin Ceviche

NYC SA Dress Code: Pantyhose for the Ladies?

Postby Sea Urchin Ceviche » Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I believe the answer is obvious for interviews, but what's the verdict for day-to-day suiting? (Sorry, but couldn't find a straight-forward answer via search.)

Assume the firm is formal. Perhaps this is yet another "err on the side of conservatism, then observe and adapt as necessary" situation. But I'd rather not be that one dweeb who shows up in 'hose if it could have been avoided...

berkeleykel06

Re: NYC SA Dress Code: Pantyhose for the Ladies?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Sea Urchin Ceviche wrote:I believe the answer is obvious for interviews, but what's the verdict for day-to-day suiting? (Sorry, but couldn't find a straight-forward answer via search.)

Assume the firm is formal. Perhaps this is yet another "err on the side of conservatism, then observe and adapt as necessary" situation. But I'd rather not be that one dweeb who shows up in 'hose if it could have been avoided...

I worked at a pretty stuffy firm in NYC last summer and very few people wore pantyhose, so I'm pretty sure you'll be completely fine without them. I weirdly like wearing pantyhose but I felt really out of place in them.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Just ask someone at your firm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am

I wore them because my office was cold and I like wearing them. If your firm is business formal, maybe wear them the first day and see what other associates do? I don't think it's something to stress about though. I really doubt anyone will judge you for wearing them.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 am

keg411 wrote:I wore them because my office was cold and I like wearing them. If your firm is business formal, maybe wear them the first day and see what other associates do? I don't think it's something to stress about though. I really doubt anyone will judge you for wearing them.

Yep, wore hose the first day with my suit, but after that most people ditched them. I kept wearing them because my office is cold and it keeps my skirt from bunching. No worries.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 6:45 pm

I wore hose because I preferred to err on the side of formality. My firm is pretty formal. Among the associates I would say half wore hose. The female partners always wore hose.

Return to “Legal Employment”