When to tell firm about clerkship in 2 yrs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to tell firm about clerkship in 2 yrs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous for obvious reasons. I'm wondering if any current associates who are clerking a year or two into their V20 jobs can tell me when is the best time to inform your firm of your clerkship. I just got a clerkship for a couple of years from now and am waiting to tell my firm until I have more info.

There are a couple of distinctions between clerking right after law school before starting at your firm and clerking after working for a couple of years.

(1) Your firm is investing time and money into training you before you leave and potentially won't come back.
(2) Your firm could be hesitant to staff you on long-term projects or substantive work as your clerkship start date approaches.

My worst fear is to be let go and my second to worst fear is to be given shit work. On the other hand, not telling the firm until close to my start date is douchey and could make them not want to take me back. Moreover, if they don't mind and/or approve, it could be a good thing to let them know I will soon acquire badass credentials. Current plan is to try to stealthily get a lay of the land by casually asking around about clerkships without mentioning that I already have one lined up until it becomes clear that they don't mind. Good plan or any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: When to tell firm about clerkship in 2 yrs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 pm

V20s are generally pretty happy when their attorneys get clerkships, as it reflects well on them. I'd say just tell them now. Since you're not leaving in 6 months but in a few years I doubt it'll affect your staffing for now. Obviously if a big case comes in the door 6 months before you leave, you're probably not going to get on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 pm

At my firm it's fairly standard for associates to bring it up two or three months in advance. I'm not sure what (if anything) would happen if they brought it up earlier, however.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm

If you have a clerkship now, there's no harm in telling them now (and it might hurt you in coming back to the firm if they find out you kept the clerkship a secret for a long time). If you try to keep it a secret for too long to avoid "shit work", you'll only hurt yourself and your reputation at the firm. Imagine if you gave someone important long-term projects where you were relying on them, and they bailed to go clerk on short notice when they knew about the clerkship for a year or more. You'd be pissed.

Return to “Legal Employment”