mens dress shoe advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mick Haller

Re: mens dress shoe advice

Postby Mick Haller » Sat May 18, 2013 11:11 pm

If you want something a little cheaper, Cole Haan makes nice, really comfortable dress shoes. You can find them for ~100 at Nordstrom rack. I got a nice brown pair for 70$ at the Saks outlet in Milpitas.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Mick Haller wrote:If you want something a little cheaper, Cole Haan makes nice, really comfortable dress shoes. You can find them for ~100 at Nordstrom rack. I got a nice brown pair for 70$ at the Saks outlet in Milpitas.

Said a horny young girl from Milpitas,
"My favorite sport is the coitus."
But a sprinter from State
made her period late,
and now she has athlete's fetus.

But seriously, +1 on Cole Haans. I'm a fan of the plain toe: http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-mad ... st=fcl%3A0

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Sun May 19, 2013 4:23 am

These are some expensive ass shoes. I've never spent 50 dollars on a pair of shoes ever. Should I invest in these 300+ dollar shoes you are all suggesting?

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun May 19, 2013 5:00 am

Okay the shoes posted in the OP were terrible. But paying 200-400 for fucking shoes is just stupid. No one is looking at your shoes. I have used 40-80 dress shoes for the last two summers and it worked out great. No one notices what the brand is as long as the style is right. Just don't buy really crappy shoes and no one will be able to tell the difference.

LOL at posting Brooks Brothers shoes. What a waste of money. If you are a partner or an associate that has paid their student loans off then go nuts and splurge on BB shoes. Otherwise get some quality knock offs and put your money towards your loans.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun May 19, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Okay the shoes posted in the OP were terrible. But paying 200-400 for fucking shoes is just stupid. No one is looking at your shoes. I have used 40-80 dress shoes for the last two summers and it worked out great. No one notices what the brand is as long as the style is right. Just don't buy really crappy shoes and no one will be able to tell the difference.

LOL at posting Brooks Brothers shoes. What a waste of money. If you are a partner or an associate that has paid their student loans off then go nuts and splurge on BB shoes. Otherwise get some quality knock offs and put your money towards your loans.

I get it, ya don't want to get outed for wearing cheap shoes.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote: No one is looking at your shoes.

This is not true. I know many attorneys and businessmen that can peg a person by looking at his shoes, suit, knot, and watch... Gotta know who you are dealing with :D

Protip (from a successful trial attorney): don't wear an expensive watch during a jury trial... You don't want the jury thinking you are some rich attorney, you want them on your side, a man of the people ... Wear a sports watch or something low key

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay the shoes posted in the OP were terrible. But paying 200-400 for fucking shoes is just stupid. No one is looking at your shoes. I have used 40-80 dress shoes for the last two summers and it worked out great. No one notices what the brand is as long as the style is right. Just don't buy really crappy shoes and no one will be able to tell the difference.

I said get something like the Brooks Brothers shoes, and posted them as examples. Any 1) non-patent-leather captoe, 2) in black or brown, 3) without a ton on perforation, 4) and with thin leather soles is fine. Some people spend more on shoes and replace them less often; some people spend less on shoes and replace them more often. Personally, I buy mediocre suits (but get them well tailored), wear cheap shirts, and quality shoes and ties. I don't spend a fortune. I don't look cheap. And I don't look ostentatious.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

I get it, ya don't want to get outed for wearing cheap shoes.

:lol:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm

RELIC wrote:Okay the shoes posted in the OP were terrible. But paying 200-400 for fucking shoes is just stupid. No one is looking at your shoes. I have used 40-80 dress shoes for the last two summers and it worked out great. No one notices what the brand is as long as the style is right. Just don't buy really crappy shoes and no one will be able to tell the difference.

Don't abuse anon to post nonsense.

I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance. Shoes are the easiest men's article to discern cheap vs. expensive. I can also guarantee you that if they don't look worn and crummy yet, they will soon. And I can guarantee you that once its all said and done, my Aldens and Edmonds will last longer and will be a better financial investment than your $50 shoes.

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Sun May 19, 2013 2:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance. Shoes are the easiest men's article to discern cheap vs. expensive. I can also guarantee you that if they don't look worn and crummy yet, they will soon. And I can guarantee you that once its all said and done, my Aldens and Edmonds will last longer and will be a better financial investment than your $50 shoes.

I agree with all of this.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Jimbo_Jones wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance. Shoes are the easiest men's article to discern cheap vs. expensive. I can also guarantee you that if they don't look worn and crummy yet, they will soon. And I can guarantee you that once its all said and done, my Aldens and Edmonds will last longer and will be a better financial investment than your $50 shoes.

I agree with all of this.

+1. I've worked in both finance and biglaw (non-attorney I'm an 0L) and this is absolutely credited in both the business and legal industries.

Edited for shitty grammar.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Not a huge fan of these, but they're probably the best you'll find for under 150 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Melton-Oxford-Black/dp/B000UUGP18/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1368909858&sr=1-1&keywords=johnston+and+murphy

Got these for OCI. It worked out.

jmjones

Postby jmjones » Sun May 19, 2013 2:59 pm

LeDique wrote:To the ones you posted: fuck no.

To the one posted by the other anon user: maybe. The toebox looks weird to me but it might be the photo, and I think the best cheap shoe is something from Bostonian.

This is dealt with in-depth here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63606

Good use of the anon feature though bros.

Fuck no is TTCR.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sun May 19, 2013 3:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:
RELIC wrote:Okay the shoes posted in the OP were terrible. But paying 200-400 for fucking shoes is just stupid. No one is looking at your shoes. I have used 40-80 dress shoes for the last two summers and it worked out great. No one notices what the brand is as long as the style is right. Just don't buy really crappy shoes and no one will be able to tell the difference.

I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance. Shoes are the easiest men's article to discern cheap vs. expensive. I can also guarantee you that if they don't look worn and crummy yet, they will soon. And I can guarantee you that once its all said and done, my Aldens and Edmonds will last longer and will be a better financial investment than your $50 shoes.

This is all correct, but not everyone has $$$$ to invest in shoes among other things as a 1/2L. Now that I know I'll have some income yea I'm upgrading to real shoes, but back then I (and many other 1Ls going into OCI) simply don't have the resources to buy top-notch everything, so I got what looked best in the short run to look passable for the week.

dood

Postby dood » Sun May 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Antrim wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

This is all correct, but not everyone has $$$$ to invest in shoes among other things as a 1/2L. Now that I know I'll have some income yea I'm upgrading to real shoes, but back then I (and many other 1Ls going into OCI) simply don't have the resources to buy top-notch everything, so I got what looked best in the short run to look passable for the week.

poster asked about shoes for an associate. if you're a 1/2L, i absolutely 100% agree with you. and nobody can hate on bostonian for its limited purpose use. but an associate should consider something a little nicer.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sun May 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Ness Lee wrote:These are some expensive ass shoes. I've never spent 50 dollars on a pair of shoes ever. Should I invest in these 300+ dollar shoes you are all suggesting?

If you do any amount of walking, your feet will be killing you in 50$ shoes. I think you can get by on 50$ slacks and 40$ shirts, but nice shoes are essential.

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm

I somehow got a scratch on my nice shoes I bought for OCI, right above the toes. It's pretty noticeable. Only option is to buy new ones right? What blows is that I'm business casual day to day, so I don't even have to wear these shoes very often, but I have to have a pair.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun May 19, 2013 4:41 pm

dood wrote:poster asked about shoes for an associate. if you're a 1/2L, i absolutely 100% agree with you. and nobody can hate on bostonian for its limited purpose use. but an associate should consider something a little nicer.

This is totally reasonable, but the distinction is rarely made in these kinds of threads. 1L's gearing up for OCI have more than two years to go until they actually start at a firm full time, if they even land the job at all. There is no need for someone in that situation to get a single pair of $300 shoes, much less multiple pairs.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sun May 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I somehow got a scratch on my nice shoes I bought for OCI, right above the toes. It's pretty noticeable. Only option is to buy new ones right? What blows is that I'm business casual day to day, so I don't even have to wear these shoes very often, but I have to have a pair.

http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/how-to-repair-scratched-shoes/ or take them to a cobbler who can do it for you with the more professional-grade stuff. Sometimes you can just fill the scratch completely with kiwi polish (make it into a wet paste first) and let it harden, then brush, then shine like normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 am

OP here, it sounds like most people are recommending Aldens and Edmonds. I have loans for both law school and UG, so I'm looking to minimizing the cost while still "getting it right." Is this pair ok?

1. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-New ... en+Edmonds
2. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Pro ... en+Edmonds

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon May 20, 2013 7:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, it sounds like most people are recommending Aldens and Edmonds. I have loans for both law school and UG, so I'm looking to minimizing the cost while still "getting it right." Is this pair ok?

A) Brave brave use of anon.

B) Always either buy cheap or nice. Going middle of the road is the biggest waste of money ever.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, it sounds like most people are recommending Aldens and Edmonds. I have loans for both law school and UG, so I'm looking to minimizing the cost while still "getting it right." Is this pair ok?

If you're trying to stay under 150, go with the Melton from Johnston and Murphy.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

If you're trying to stay under 150, go with the Melton from Johnston and Murphy.

Are those significantly inferior to the AE Park Ave's?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 20, 2013 11:53 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Well, the leather is not even close to AE quality.

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Melton's are corrected grain whereas the Park Ave is full grain, so it won't be as durable or look as nice.

Return to “Legal Employment”