mens dress shoe advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: mens dress shoe advice

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 pm

BVest wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Wearing a watch is archaic. By the time we are in our 50s, literally no one will wear watches.

:?

Um, what?

Our Google glasses will tell us time.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 pm

For high-quality shoes, just remember the following names: Andrew Marc, Allen Edmonds, Ben Sherman, Bally, Bruno Magli, Cole Hann, Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana, Donald Pliner, Florsheim, John Fluvog, Gordon Rush, Hugo Boss, Boss Black, Oliver Sweeney, Mezlan, Magnanni, Gucci, Paul Smith, Prada, Michael Toschi, John Varvatos, John W. Nordstrom, Sassetti, Dsquared, To Boot NY, Salvatore Ferragamo, Santoni, Johnston & Murphy, Tods, and Polo Ralph Lauren...

Avoid the following: Aldo, Ecco, Rockport, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Steve Madden, 1901

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 pm

BVest wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Wearing a watch is archaic. By the time we are in our 50s, literally no one will wear watches.

Um, what?

How many dudes do you see walking into court with fedoras on? Times change. Fashion changes. It's obvious that watches are on the way out, not just because their utility is outmoded. I see fewer and fewer young biglaw partners with watches.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
BVest wrote:

Um, what?

How many dudes do you see walking into court with fedoras on? Times change. Fashion changes. It's obvious that watches are on the way out, not just because their utility is outmoded. I see fewer and fewer young biglaw partners with watches.

Exercising restraint.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm

BVest wrote:

Um, what?

Fedoras are still in bro

Girl gimme dat

unnhhhhh

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 am

rad lulz wrote:
BVest wrote:

Um, what?

Fedoras are still in bro

Girl gimme dat

unnhhhhh

cot dayum

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 am

PDaddy wrote:

For high-quality shoes, just remember the following names: Andrew Marc, Allen Edmonds, Ben Sherman, Bally, Bruno Magli, Cole Hann, Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana, Donald Pliner, Florsheim, John Fluvog, Gordon Rush, Hugo Boss, Boss Black, Oliver Sweeney, Mezlan, Magnanni, Gucci, Paul Smith, Prada, Michael Toschi, John Varvatos, John W. Nordstrom, Sassetti, Dsquared, To Boot NY, Salvatore Ferragamo, Santoni, Johnston & Murphy, Tods, and Polo Ralph Lauren...

Avoid the following: Aldo, Ecco, Rockport, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Steve Madden, 1901

oh man, i really hope you wear John Fluvogs around the office. That would be hilarious.

--ImageRemoved--

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 pm

So, with some regret, this thread (and others like it) have convinced me I probably ought to shell out for some real, grown up dress shoes, leather sole and all. But now I have questions. 1) Do I need galoshes? 2) If so, when do you wear them?

IB letscallthemrubbersandgiggle.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 pm

homestyle28 wrote:So, with some regret, this thread (and others like it) have convinced me I probably ought to shell out for some real, grown up dress shoes, leather sole and all. But now I have questions. 1) Do I need galoshes? 2) If so, when do you wear them?

IB letscallthemrubbersandgiggle.

Few people wear galoshes anymore. Some people will wear beater shoes in the rain and change when they get to the office. Others have shoes that are designed for rainier weather, like boots. I found a really good pair of Alden chamois leather boots that I wanted really badly on Leffot, but they were just too much.

And its great that you're thinking of investing in some decent shoes, but don't let it be a regret. Nice shoes will be comfortable, they'll look great, and they should last a good long while. You'll feel better about your entire wardrobe with a nice pair of shoes on, trust me. And while its good you're going to get decent shoes, remember that you can do it with an eye towards your wallet. Don't feel the need to go drop $300-500 or something. Wait for something in the right price range. Oh, and if you need any advice or anything, the Mens Style and Fashion thread is a great place to go for extra eyes and for good deals.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 am

First day starts on Tuesday....thinking about picking these up over MDW: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dr-m ... RS%3DSales & Discounts%26sp%3D3%26spc%3D115%26ruleId%3D19%26slotId%3D82

Thoughts?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:55 am

Edit due to double post.

dw3

Postby dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:56 am

OP you are highly advised not to EVER wear ANY of those shoes. And especially with a suit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Kage3212 wrote:First day starts on Tuesday....thinking about picking these up over MDW: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dr-m ... RS%3DSales & Discounts%26sp%3D3%26spc%3D115%26ruleId%3D19%26slotId%3D82

Thoughts?

Perfect professional shoe, just like everyone has been suggesting. Great eye.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat May 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Kage3212 wrote:First day starts on Tuesday....thinking about picking these up over MDW: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dr-m ... RS%3DSales & Discounts%26sp%3D3%26spc%3D115%26ruleId%3D19%26slotId%3D82

Thoughts?

holy shit, lol

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:51 pm

JFC this thread is awful.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon May 27, 2013 9:16 am

PDaddy wrote:

You forgot Doc Martens.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Did I get redirected to the Top-Dairy-Schools website by accident? All the shoes ITT are... hardy.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm

lisjjen wrote:Did I get redirected to the Top-Dairy-Schools website by accident? All the shoes ITT are... hardy.

It's just been trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 am

Just sharing an anecdote re: the nice shoe longevity issue.

I recently wore a pair of AE Strands while visiting my 90+ year old grandfather. He commented on them and immediately began pulling out similar Florsheims, etc. (from back when they were made to AE standards, and weren't Chinese made junk) that he bought in the 1950s and '60s. They still looked new.

You might be able to hold together a pair of Bostonians for five years. They will not look as good as they do today when you're retired (or resole them until there isn't enough upper left to attach new soles).

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 am

mrloblaw wrote:Just sharing an anecdote re: the nice shoe longevity issue.

I recently wore a pair of AE Strands while visiting my 90+ year old grandfather. He commented on them and immediately began pulling out similar Florsheims, etc. (from back when they were made to AE standards, and weren't Chinese made junk) that he bought in the 1950s and '60s. They still looked new.

You might be able to hold together a pair of Bostonians for five years. They will not look as good as they do today when you're retired (or resole them until there isn't enough upper left to attach new soles).

What are you talking about? Shoes made in the 1950s and '60s are becoming obsolete. By the time we're 60, literally no one is going to be wearing shoes from the 50s and 60s. We'll be walking in Google glass shoes.

justinp

Postby justinp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

I like wingtips better than captoes. Am I pleb? Or are good wingtips OK?

jkay

Postby jkay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am

This thread sucks, but wingtips are totally fine. Some will say that they are less than ideal for interviews where you want to not stand out by wearing "flashy" wingtips. But for anything other than an interview, go for it without worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 am

Threads like this got me all freaked out about not having the right shoes before my SA, so I went out and bought some AEs for $300. When I got to the firm (V50) it was clear no one gave two shits what anyone else's shoes looked like, so I switched to more comfortable, cheaper, less TLS-orthodox shoes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

Why was this abortion of a thread resurrected? We have two other threads on mens style and OCI clothing.

Return to “Legal Employment”