mens dress shoe advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
laxbrah420

Re: mens dress shoe advice

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:The only shoe you'll ever need. Hell, you already have at least $100k in student loans, what's another $425???

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bruno-magli ... ts-_-1_4_B

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalo ... oup=528739
These are the exact same and you can go take a date out to dinner with the savings...

Actually they're not the exact same. One is a captoe and one isn't. Kind of a big difference.

Huge difference
--LinkRemoved--

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue May 21, 2013 7:32 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:You guys are implying I said people should be "hunting" for bargains. I didn't say this. I said people should spend 5 minutes of research before literally gifting over $150 to a shoe company.

LOL it only takes 5 minutes? you're getting ridiculous with your premises and assumptions on this one...sometimes you gotta know when to admit you might of said something incorrect and move on..save dignity over face or youre as superficial as those you condemn

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nordstrom+anniversary+sale

and what if you happen to be shopping the 300-330+ days that the sale isn't going on? give it a rest bro seriously. we're not shit talking and we're not making progress on the argument. we're just being boring now. I dont like to be boring.

Alright, bro. I'll give it a rest. Go with Christ.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue May 21, 2013 7:37 pm

/thread

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 21, 2013 8:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you read my posts ITT and took that away from the conversation, then... I just... I don't even...

You're reeding comprehenshun is not to gud.

It's impossible for you to justify buying expensive shoes and not think that other people (who can afford them) should also buy them, no? If this is true, you're obviously implying there's something wrong with people who can afford expensive shoes who don't buy them. Don't pretend like you've been treating this as some sort of benign shoe hobby (like an interest in vintage cars or something) when you're saying shit like this:

I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance.

Not a single one of my posts ITT has been "implying there's something wrong with people who can afford expensive shoes who don't buy them." I only entered the conversation to explain why I thought Relic's post was ridiculous. The quote you just pulled out of context there was explaining that it is silly to say no one can tell the difference between nice shoes and crap shoes, because they can. You said as much yourself.

I also said I understand why some people can't/won't spend a lot of money on decent shoes and threw out some alternatives that are passable. But again, they may be passable, but 1) it isn't hard to tell the difference between nice vs. cheaper shoes, 2) they won't last as long, and 3) it is possible or even likely that the more expensive pair is a better investment in the long run. Nothing about what I said is some kind of snobby judgment about people with cheaper shoes. You're the only one being a judgmental ass about this (well, and Relic too).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Huge difference
--LinkRemoved--

I'm not trying to be nitpicky or anything, but those shoes are not all the comparable to a pair of Bruno Maglis. They have rubber soles, and even in the stock photo, they look poorly made. The vamp area (the top of the shoe), especially where the stiching meets, looks like mediocre to poor leather and already has some minor wrinkling. The quarter (the back part on the side) looks the same way. This is the stock photo, the "fries popping out of the box next to an extra fizzy soda pop being poured into a glass full of perfect ice cubes" type of photo, and it still looks cheap .This isn't to say that Cole Haans aren't passable or they are a categorically bad brand; I own numerous pairs and I love my pair of Air Colton brown suedes. But they simply aren't in the same league as AE, Alden, Magli, Meermin, Ferragamo, etc.

As others have said, it doesn't make much sense to spend $150-200 for a pair of Cole Haan shoes when you can get a brand new pair of AE Park Avenues for ~$225 at the Nordstrom semi-annual, or a pair of Brooks Brothers AEs or factory seconds on sale for under $200, or a pair of lightly used Aldens/AEs/Maglis for $100-200 on Ebay.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:14 pm

ya i didnt look long.
these are 180 full leather
--LinkRemoved--

comparing sale prices to full msrp is kind of a joke. i'm sure you can find these on sale at nordstroms at an annual sale too, and as you pointed out, it's not like shoes are something that last a super long time anyways. not like you're getting a nice belt that's gonna last 10 years. cole haan quality will last you 2 years, AE maybe 30 months?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:AE maybe 30 months?

I've got a pair of AE Park Aves and a pair of AE 5th Aves that I've work probably a little less than once a week for the past two years (maybe ~100 wears?). The PAs were brand new, the 5th A's were lightly used, so I have no idea how old they are. With a shoe shine, they both look virtually brand new. I plan on both lasting me another couple of years of regular wear, at which point I'll send them in for recrafting. I have numerous other pairs of AEs and all are in great condition after weekly wear.

If you poke around the internet, you'll find people talking about shoes they've owned for 10, 20, 30 years. The idea that they have to be throwaway items is just flat out wrong. There's a reason people love AE and Alden: it's because they continue to produce great-looking, comfortable, American-made shoes that last a long time.

Again, I'm not trying to say that shoes like these are absolutely essential to the wardrobe of a budding young associate or law student. They're not, and few people are going to really care. But it's just wrong for people to say there's no difference, or that they don't last, or that no one will notice, etc.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you read my posts ITT and took that away from the conversation, then... I just... I don't even...

You're reeding comprehenshun is not to gud.

It's impossible for you to justify buying expensive shoes and not think that other people (who can afford them) should also buy them, no? If this is true, you're obviously implying there's something wrong with people who can afford expensive shoes who don't buy them. Don't pretend like you've been treating this as some sort of benign shoe hobby (like an interest in vintage cars or something) when you're saying shit like this:

I guarantee you that anyone with a semblance of fashion sense can tell your shoes are crap from a quick glance.

Not a single one of my posts ITT has been "implying there's something wrong with people who can afford expensive shoes who don't buy them." I only entered the conversation to explain why I thought Relic's post was ridiculous. The quote you just pulled out of context there was explaining that it is silly to say no one can tell the difference between nice shoes and crap shoes, because they can. You said as much yourself.

I also said I understand why some people can't/won't spend a lot of money on decent shoes and threw out some alternatives that are passable. But again, they may be passable, but 1) it isn't hard to tell the difference between nice vs. cheaper shoes, 2) they won't last as long, and 3) it is possible or even likely that the more expensive pair is a better investment in the long run. Nothing about what I said is some kind of snobby judgment about people with cheaper shoes. You're the only one being a judgmental ass about this (well, and Relic too).

Are you being serious, because I can't tell? You're making judgment calls about what is "passable" and in the same paragraph saying that I'm the only one being judgmental.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Wat

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I want to thank this thread for making me shine my shoes in the first time in a billion years.

My scratch on my Park Ave's is annoying me. But I bet everyone has sratches that you really can't see from eye level.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I want to thank this thread for making me shine my shoes in the first time in a billion years.

My scratch on my Park Ave's is annoying me. But I bet everyone has sratches that you really can't see from eye level.

I have a scratch on mine too that pisses me off. I think we both need to take them to a professional who will just fix it. Of course someone might tell me that this would be a decision of irreparable financial irresponsibility that will utterly ruin me.

PS I bought mine at the Anniversary Sale.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Don't skimp on shoes. Get nice ones...the best you can afford. Shoe quality really does improve with price, and colleagues and women will notice them.

Getting two or three of the best suits you can afford is also a smart investment. That's better than having five or six cheaper suits.

Get one black, one navy and one gray to start out. Add a brown, taupe or a blue pen stripe later and continue to build from there.

If you shop the sales, you can get $2,000 Armani, Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Zegna, Joseph Aboud, Scotch & Soda, Paul Smith, etc. for between $500-1,200, and they will last a lifetime. Believe me, the investment is worth it. If you want to go the Calvin Klein knockoff route, or buy Kenneth Cole, just be sure to get the higher end ones.

http://m.nordstrom.com/s/3173332/?origi ... ts-_-1_1_A

http://m.nordstrom.com/Product/Gallery/ ... in=product

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 pm

For the record, I love you all and I don't think any of you are stupid. <3

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:For the record, I love you all and I don't think any of you are stupid. <3

For my part I will say that while I did buy one pair of AEs at the Anniversary sale, I have definitely spent more than I should have on shoes. What a nice moment we're having.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 am

romothesavior wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:AE maybe 30 months?

I've got a pair of AE Park Aves and a pair of AE 5th Aves that I've work probably a little less than once a week for the past two years (maybe ~100 wears?). The PAs were brand new, the 5th A's were lightly used, so I have no idea how old they are. With a shoe shine, they both look virtually brand new. I plan on both lasting me another couple of years of regular wear, at which point I'll send them in for recrafting. I have numerous other pairs of AEs and all are in great condition after weekly wear.

If you poke around the internet, you'll find people talking about shoes they've owned for 10, 20, 30 years. The idea that they have to be throwaway items is just flat out wrong. There's a reason people love AE and Alden: it's because they continue to produce great-looking, comfortable, American-made shoes that last a long time.

Again, I'm not trying to say that shoes like these are absolutely essential to the wardrobe of a budding young associate or law student. They're not, and few people are going to really care. But it's just wrong for people to say there's no difference, or that they don't last, or that no one will notice, etc.

Wearing shoes once a week and counting that as longevity is a funny concept
"Buy these remarkable quality shoes!! Made right in the good 'ol USA! Everyone knows, proper shoe care means rotating shoes a lot. If you wear these once a year, they'll last FOREVER!"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 am

My dad has a pair of Park Avenue's that he wears every day and has for the past 15+ years. He's had them re-soled once, I think? Phenomenally durable shoes.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 am

kalvano wrote:My dad has a pair of Park Avenue's that he wears every day and has for the past 15+ years. He's had them re-soled once, I think? Phenomenally durable shoes.

The only reason I'd say don't spend your money now, is because a lot of lawyers don't really wear a suit all that often. You don't need durability when you only wear them 5 times a year. Even a mediocre brand will last forever that way.

Are they still doing $200 during the Nordstom's Annual sale? That's where I got mine. I wouldn't pay 340 or whatever they cost normally, unless you are wearing them several times a week.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 22, 2013 2:20 am

I would rather saw off my leg with a rusty pocket knife while fending off a rabid wolverine than go shopping for shoes. If I can get a pair of professional shoes that will last forever and never go out of style, I'd spend ridiculous amounts of money just to not have to shop for shoes for 20 years.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 am

kalvano wrote:I would rather saw off my leg with a rusty pocket knife while fending off a rabid wolverine than go shopping for shoes. If I can get a pair of professional shoes that will last forever and never go out of style, I'd spend ridiculous amounts of money just to not have to shop for shoes for 20 years.

Or you could be a retard like me and apparently kick nails or something when you aren't paying attention.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 am

I live in Dallas. We drive anything more than 20 yards.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How the fuck can any of you even tell the difference between an expensive pair of shoes and a nice but lower end brand you cop't at Nordstrom Rack?

I defy you to tell me you that you can actually tell my cole haan loafers aren't bruno magli.

I bet at least one aspie in this thread is strutting around with Park Ave's, poorly polished, in business casual clothing thinking he's shot shit.

Are Park Avenues not appropriate if you do not have a coat and tie on?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How the fuck can any of you even tell the difference between an expensive pair of shoes and a nice but lower end brand you cop't at Nordstrom Rack?

I defy you to tell me you that you can actually tell my cole haan loafers aren't bruno magli.

I bet at least one aspie in this thread is strutting around with Park Ave's, poorly polished, in business casual clothing thinking he's shot shit.

Are Park Avenues not appropriate if you do not have a coat and tie on?

They are too formal for business casual.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Or you could be a retard like me and apparently kick nails or something when you aren't paying attention.

I have a scratch on one of my shoes too :(

I guess kicking nails is better than stepping on them, at least.

They are too formal for business casual.

Yeah, loafers for business casual or whatever imo.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Wearing a watch is archaic. By the time we are in our 50s, literally no one will wear watches.

:?

Um, what?

Return to “Legal Employment”