mens dress shoe advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Anonymous User

Re: mens dress shoe advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 12:28 pm

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/modern-b ... Id=14335a4

During an informational interview a couple years ago before 1L, I asked the law firm partner (Vault ranked NYC firm if it matters) about shoes. He recommended the above to me as a good starter shoe

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 pm

To the ones you posted: fuck no.

To the one posted by the other anon user: maybe. The toebox looks weird to me but it might be the photo, and I think the best cheap shoe is something from Bostonian.

This is dealt with in-depth here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 23&t=63606

Good use of the anon feature though bros.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat May 18, 2013 12:33 pm

when you say "as an associate" does that mean you plan on wearing these with suits? For the love of god, don't wear these with suits (or anything else).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Your work shoes should never have rubber soles.

Get something like these in brown:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Perforate ... ntentpos=4

Get something like these in black:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Allen-Edm ... &cgid=0522

Basically, get black leather (not shiny, patent leather) shoe with a cap toe without perforation. Get a dark brown (dark brown, not oxblood or walnut) with a tiny bit of perforation. Pick up a matching belt for the brown shoes. If you get them at brooks brothers, open up a brooks card and sign up for the ABA membership and you can stack the discounts: 15% + 15%. You shop around for a less expensive shoe, but just make sure they look like what I've posted and that they DO NOT have rubber soles. I wouldn't go below $100/ shoe, because they'll likely give you blisters and murder your feet.

Edit: if you want, for your browns you could get something like these as well:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Penny-Loa ... ntentpos=2

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.% ... y%20viewed

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Classic-P ... &cgid=0522

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XU9x8G7khv0/S ... hoes-7.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat May 18, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm

None of the first 3 pairs you posted are "dress shoes," so they would not be advisable to wear to work. The OCI thread is a decent guide to dress shoes, although once you have the job you can wear some dress shoes (but they still have to be dress shoes!) that would not be appropriate to wear in an interview. For instance, I would not wear these to an interview, but own a pair and definitely plan on rocking them with a navy or light grey suit from time to time at work.

My go-to dress shoe (I have a pair in both black and brown) is the AE Clifton, which I would buy when Nordstrom has its next half-yearly/anniversary sale.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Sat May 18, 2013 1:06 pm

No way, never wear those Clarks. None of them are intended for a suit or dress pants. Here are some pointers:

1. You really should buy two pairs of shoes, one black and one brown. Try not to wear them two days in a row so that they can air out, you'll get a lot more life out of them that way. Also, brown tends to go very well with navy.

2. The shoes should be made of smooth leather, have laces, and be relatively simple.

3. Stay FAR away from square toes or really pointed toes. A simple rounded toe is what you want.

4. Store them with a cedar shoe tree inside to retain shape at all times when you aren't wearing them.

Don't be too afraid of spending 150 - 300 per pair either. It makes a huge difference in terms of comfort and longevity, and I've used my Aldens (not to be confused with Aldo, which are crappy) for about 6 years now and they still look and feel great.

You don't need to get these specific shoes, but here are a couple of recommendations to get you started in terms of understanding how they should look. Notice how these have the features I described above.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmon ... ts-_-1_2_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-a ... s-_-1_10_C

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:My go-to dress shoe (I have a pair in both black and brown) is the AE Clifton, which I would buy when Nordstrom has its next half-yearly/anniversary sale.
There have been some problems with the AE shoes at sold at Macys, Nordstroms, etc. during their "big sales." For the last two years the shoes have been AE stock that failed the AE factory inspection. There's a small stamp on the bottom of the sole that's code for "defective." If you see that stamp, examine the shoes carefully to make sure that the blemish isn't noticeable. I only know this because I bought a pair of strands and the eyelets were misaligned on the left shoe; when I returned them the sales associate explained to me that departments store sales are a clearinghouse for defective AE shoes.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sat May 18, 2013 1:53 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:My go-to dress shoe (I have a pair in both black and brown) is the AE Clifton, which I would buy when Nordstrom has its next half-yearly/anniversary sale.
There have been some problems with the AE shoes at sold at Macys, Nordstroms, etc. during their "big sales." For the last two years the shoes have been AE stock that failed the AE factory inspection. There's a small stamp on the bottom of the sole that's code for "defective." If you see that stamp, examine the shoes carefully to make sure that the blemish isn't noticeable. I only know this because I bought a pair of strands and the eyelets were misaligned on the left shoe; when I returned them the sales associate explained to me that departments store sales are a clearinghouse for defective AE shoes.
Purchased AE park avenues online (on sale) during the Nordstroms semi-annual sale and had no problems. My guess is that you bought from Macys, because this seems busch-league.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Borg wrote:No way, never wear those Clarks. None of them are intended for a suit or dress pants. Here are some pointers:

1. You really should buy two pairs of shoes, one black and one brown. Try not to wear them two days in a row so that they can air out, you'll get a lot more life out of them that way. Also, brown tends to go very well with navy.

2. The shoes should be made of smooth leather, have laces, and be relatively simple.

3. Stay FAR away from square toes or really pointed toes. A simple rounded toe is what you want.

4. Store them with a cedar shoe tree inside to retain shape at all times when you aren't wearing them.

Don't be too afraid of spending 150 - 300 per pair either. It makes a huge difference in terms of comfort and longevity, and I've used my Aldens (not to be confused with Aldo, which are crappy) for about 6 years now and they still look and feel great.

You don't need to get these specific shoes, but here are a couple of recommendations to get you started in terms of understanding how they should look. Notice how these have the features I described above.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmon ... ts-_-1_2_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-a ... s-_-1_10_C
I'd also add that you should avoid derbys because they are a bit too casual for a suit (so those AEs should be out). I stick to oxfords and sometimes will wear monk straps (even though they are somewhat casual. But they look more formal than derbys).

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Stick with Allen Edmonds (or Alden) as your baseline [American] shoes (I'm a personal fanboy of AE). I have the Park Aves, Cliftons, and McTavish and plan on picking up some Strands this summer.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat May 18, 2013 2:01 pm

John Lobb City 2

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:06 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote: I'd also add that you should avoid derbys because they are a bit too casual for a suit (so those AEs should be out). I stick to oxfords and sometimes will wear monk straps (even though they are somewhat casual. But they look more formal than derbys).
Definitely the traditional wisdom, though if he's at a business casual firm, it wouldn't really be a problem (not to mention most people wouldn't even know the difference). Unless, of course, we're talking about a first pair... then start with the core (i.e., something very conservative like Park Aves).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
Purchased AE park avenues online (on sale) during the Nordstroms semi-annual sale and had no problems. My guess is that you bought from Macys, because this seems busch-league.
Nordstroms, actually. Paul Grangaard, the AE CEO, published a big apology letter about it last year. The letter didn't say the practice would stop, it basically that, in the future, it would be clearer heavily discounted AE shoes sold at departments stores are line rejects. I don't know how it's any clearer now . . . you still have to look for that microscopic stamp on the sole. AE line-rejects 3% of its shoes; they gotta git rid of them somehow.

Edit: sorry, I can't resist: it's "bush league"

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat May 18, 2013 2:48 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
Nordstroms, actually. Paul Grangaard, the AE CEO, published a big apology letter about it last year. The letter didn't say the practice would stop, it basically that, in the future, it would be clearer heavily discounted AE shoes sold at departments stores are line rejects. I don't know how it's any clearer now . . . you still have to look for that microscopic stamp on the sole. AE line-rejects 3% of its shoes; they gotta git rid of them somehow.

Actually, he was referring to Busch Beer's internal fantasy football league.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Actually, he was referring to Busch Beer's internal fantasy football league.

Oh, I thought he was referring to the Nascar event

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat May 18, 2013 2:59 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:

I can't believe how wrong you (and that sales associate) are about this. AE never admitted that they sold seconds to Nordstrom, nor was the problem that AE was giving known seconds to Nordstroms—it was a quality control problem. Nor did they say that they would be clearer that they are seconds, because well…they aren't. AE does indeed need to do something with its seconds. The main thing it does is sell them at its outlets. It is very clear that what it sells at its outlets are seconds. The other thing it does is it sometimes sells seconds to places like Nordstrom Rack.

It should also be noted that Nordstrom will take like anything, ever back without any hassle. There's that folklore story about returning a tire to Nordstrom. Everyone ended up (or could have) with an unblemished pair of shoes.

Here's "the letter" you're talking about: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvi ... ds/c5igxkc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sat May 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Any shoe shiners recommended for black?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 pm

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat May 18, 2013 3:23 pm

LeDique wrote:I can't believe how wrong you (and that sales associate) are about this. AE never admitted that they sold seconds to Nordstrom, nor was the problem that AE was giving known seconds to Nordstroms—it was a quality control problem. Nor did they say that they would be clearer that they are seconds, because well…they aren't. AE does indeed need to do something with its seconds. The main thing it does is sell them at its outlets. It is very clear that what it sells at its outlets are seconds. The other thing it does is it sometimes sells seconds to places like Nordstrom Rack.

It should also be noted that Nordstrom will take like anything, ever back without any hassle. There's that folklore story about returning a tire to Nordstrom. Everyone ended up (or could have) with an unblemished pair of shoes.

Here's "the letter" you're talking about: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvi ... ds/c5igxkc
I don't know if that's the letter or not. I'm just repeating what I was told by the Nordstrom guy. When I brought the shoes back to the store he told me 1) they had received a lot of complaints, 2) 3% of AE shoes are line-rejects that are sold at department stores during big sales, 3) the AE CEO wrote an apology letter saying that line-rejects will be clearly marked in the future. The Nordstrom guy then showed me a little stamp on the bottom of the shoe (IIRC, it was two tiny numbers) and said "that means it's a line reject." A few months later, I went to a Macy's sale in NY. The AE shoes were heavily discounted and they had the little stamp on the bottom so I didn't buy them. There was no other indication that they were line-rejects but I didn't want to take a chance.

That was my experience. If the sales associate at Nordstrom gave me bad information, I'm sorry for passing it along. But I don't understand why he would have lied to me since he was basically admitting that Nordstrom shafted their customers by shelving defective merchandise during sales. Who knows.

I think this is the takeaway: if you buy heavily discounted Allen Edmonds shoes at a department store sale check for defects or blemishes.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
Nordstroms, actually.

How much were yours discounted??

During the semi-annual sale most AE shoes were ~$210 and without defects.

Also, busch-league is a reference to the NASCAR event. Though it sounds the same as the baseball reference (that predates the NASCAR reference), it's a play on words--meaning the same thing but also referencing a shitty beer and rednecks.

People often fight about semantics but they are two separate references that have the same effect. Make sure you know your shit before correcting someone when it can be accurately said both ways. :lol:

ETA: It's probably worthwhile to add that if you get a legit pair of AEs, their customer service is unsurpassed. To see for yourself, look at the comments/reviews on the AE site. They usually will replace/repair the product if someone has the slightest negative thing to say about its quality. Top-notch company.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:Also, busch-league is a reference to the NASCAR event. Though it sounds the same as the baseball reference (that predates the NASCAR reference), it's a play on words--meaning the same thing but also referencing a shitty beer and rednecks.

People often fight about semantics but they are two separate references that have the same effect. Make sure you know your shit before correcting someone when it can be accurately said both ways. :lol:
It's fine if you want to coin new expressions; Shakespeare did that. But if we're going by dictionaries or history (see oed.com) bush league is correct.

Also, I don't recall the shoe price.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat May 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Just wanted to reiterate how ugly these are for all situations

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat May 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Not a huge fan of these, but they're probably the best you'll find for under 150 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... and+murphy

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Allen Edmonds at the Nordstrom Rack (or a Sacks off Fifth possibly). You may have to stop at a couple, but I found a pair of Park Avenue Black Captoes for $205, and a brown pair for 145. This is pretty common to find.

Also, Allen Edmonds is a great value. They basically never run out. See: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/ ... &storeId=1 .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”