Best SA Bloopers / Epic SA Fails to Avoid and Laugh At

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Best SA Bloopers / Epic SA Fails to Avoid and Laugh At

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly a blooper but there's a person at my school who's dropping out at the end of the year. But he's still summering at the firm.

Smart bro

That's like free money

Apparently he hates law school and is using the money as start-up capital for some business venture. Was on a full-ride too.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 am

lol that is pretty funny and a good move. he can probably coast and live it up at all the events too without the stress.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 am

patrickd139 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly a blooper but there's a person at my school who's dropping out at the end of the year. But he's still summering at the firm.

Smart bro

That's like free money

Wonder if he'll take time off during his SA to interview for jobs...

I wonder if it was him who started that epic thread a couple wks ago

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 am

pastapplicant wrote:Seems kind of lame that the senior would throw a hissy fit because the summer did not know how to play. It was definitely dumb behavior but it seems pretty lame to boil over things like bringing the wrong ball, etc.

I can even understand the golf cart thing as crossing the line because it is going to come from the senior's wallet, but to yell in public like a child is pretty pathetic. With that said, I will remember to play tennis if this scenarios descends upon me.

No.

A. Using someone else's clubs without asking is not okay.
B. If you don't know how to play you legitimately ruin everyone else's day (including those behind you, not with your law firm).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 20, 2013 7:52 am

wert3813 wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:Seems kind of lame that the senior would throw a hissy fit because the summer did not know how to play. It was definitely dumb behavior but it seems pretty lame to boil over things like bringing the wrong ball, etc.

I can even understand the golf cart thing as crossing the line because it is going to come from the senior's wallet, but to yell in public like a child is pretty pathetic. With that said, I will remember to play tennis if this scenarios descends upon me.

No.

B. If you don't know how to play you legitimately ruin everyone else's day (including those behind you, not with your law firm).

I do feel a little bad for the summer, in that golf is something that if you have no exposure to it, you have no idea of the huge range of possible things you could be doing wrong. Throwing yourself into it could be seen as ballsy. But mostly this guy should have realized he had no clue, and it seems like every time he was given a hint to that, he just doubled down in a bad way. Discretion's a good thing.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

No.

I do feel a little bad for the summer, in that golf is something that if you have no exposure to it, you have no idea of the huge range of possible things you could be doing wrong. Throwing yourself into it could be seen as ballsy. But mostly this guy should have realized he had no clue, and it seems like every time he was given a hint to that, he just doubled down in a bad way. Discretion's a good thing.

I would be scared to play even though I've probably played a 100 rounds in my life. Just being on a US Open course, I'd be hacking it all day.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Mon May 20, 2013 1:05 pm

wert3813 wrote:

No.

I never said it was okay. Difference in opinion I guess but I a fully grown man yelling at a summer in front of his coworkers until he ran out of breath because of that (excluding the damage) is still very childish in my book.

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Mon May 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:That's hilarious. I've literally never heard a call where people used the announcing feature, but on your first call, there's no way you could know that other than by guessing...

Please tell me you have read the xoxo thread about work conference calls.

Nope -- link?

--LinkRemoved--

Wow, that thread is fucking golden. Half my day is spend on conference calls and they all basically play out in some way described in that thread.

Please move your blackberry away from the speakerphone

I laughed out loud at this. Every god damn call....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 am

Common people, I know there are more great stories out there!

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am

pastapplicant wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

No.

I never said it was okay. Difference in opinion I guess but I a fully grown man yelling at a summer in front of his coworkers until he ran out of breath because of that (excluding the damage) is still very childish in my book.

I'm going to go ahead an assume you are the summer from the story. I can't see anyone other than him defending what he did.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not siding with the summer; he should have just chosen another activity.

At the same time, all this story tells me besides that one moral is that golf is a stupid sport.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I'm not siding with the summer; he should have just chosen another activity.

At the same time, all this story tells me besides that one moral is that golf is a stupid sport.

Golf is pretty fun when you're hitting actual golf shots, although I suck so bad at it that I rarely hit actual golf shots. I don't see how it's stupid. The things the summer did wrong would be reckless outside the golf context. You shouldn't use your boss's stuff without permission, so it was very weird to use the clubs. You shouldn't drive a vehicle without knowing what you're doing, and you shouldn't drive fast and slam on the breaks, especially on finely cut grass, so the incident on the green was pretty dumb. It's just common sense. Don't know if it merited a no offer though.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm

drmguy wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

No.

I'm going to go ahead an assume you are the summer from the story. I can't see anyone other than him defending what he did.

For the last time, I am not defending him nor saying he was doing okay. I am just saying that it was immature and pathetic for a grown man to steam that much over someone using his club or getting the wrong ball. Bunch of uptight people in here.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:37 pm

pastapplicant wrote:For the last time, I am not defending him nor saying he was doing okay. I am just saying that it was immature and pathetic for a grown man to steam that much over someone using his club or getting the wrong ball. Bunch of uptight people in here.

It's neither here nor there, but he didn't "steam" about using the wrong ball or using his clubs. He "steamed" about the ~$10k bill he had to pay to reconstruct the green on a US Open golf course.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm

tag

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Bronte wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:I'm not siding with the summer; he should have just chosen another activity.

Golf is pretty fun when you're hitting actual golf shots, although I suck so bad at it that I rarely hit actual golf shots. I don't see how it's stupid. The things the summer did wrong would be reckless outside the golf context. You shouldn't use your boss's stuff without permission, so it was very weird to use the clubs. You shouldn't drive a vehicle without knowing what you're doing, and you shouldn't drive fast and slam on the breaks, especially on finely cut grass, so the incident on the green was pretty dumb. It's just common sense. Don't know if it merited a no offer though.

Again, summer associate was an idiot. But golf is also a retarded sport.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Two summers before me (as told by the hiring partner himself):
[Setting: nondescript men's room in an office building downtown; Hiring Partner is taking a dump; Summer enters the bathroom]

Summer: [Grabs can of industrial Lysol left behind from cleaning staff the night before] "Ewww, stinky stinky...."

Hiring Partner: "What tha fuck?!"

[Sprays Lysol into the stall where Hiring Partner is taking a dump.]

Summer: [Leaves immediately. From the building. Doesn't come back until the next day.]

I laugh every time I go to the bathroom because of this story.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Two summers were fired in the last few years. One for getting blazed at work in his office (when they found out they said "we don't care about pot, we just care that you did so at work-- unprofessional"); another summer was fired for stealing wine throughout the year from the firm's party storage. He took a bottle home every once and awhile until the firm noticed some were missing.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I expect many new stories this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 pm

glitched wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Two summers before me (as told by the hiring partner himself):
[Setting: nondescript men's room in an office building downtown; Hiring Partner is taking a dump; Summer enters the bathroom]

Summer: [Grabs can of industrial Lysol left behind from cleaning staff the night before] "Ewww, stinky stinky...."

Hiring Partner: "What tha fuck?!"

[Sprays Lysol into the stall where Hiring Partner is taking a dump.]

Summer: [Leaves immediately. From the building. Doesn't come back until the next day.]

I laugh every time I go to the bathroom because of this story.

I think they put in a "shower" with a full bathroom on each floor of my office exactly to avoid this. Hilarious because it seems so obvious now when I see the partner going into that bathroom.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 am

TTRansfer wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Nope -- link?

--LinkRemoved--

Oh, man. THank you for posting that. Should be a fun read.

No shit, during a hearing today the judge wanted to conference in an executive from my client's company. So we put it on sp3eakerphone and called. The receptionist answers we ask for officer and she puts us on hold. Their hold music was the super mario brothers theme.

loling irl

I laughed so much shitboomers were staring at me on metro north.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:17 pm

IAFG wrote:I laughed so much shitboomers were staring at me on metro north.

I think it's really one of the funniest things I have ever read involving the legal field. Up there with [indicating] for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 pm

This happened last year. A summer told the hiring partner at a V50 firm that when he started full-time (this was before he had even received a full-time offer) he wouldn't work on Saturdays and had to leave by 6 during the week. No offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After I got no offered, I found it really hard to laugh at these kind of stories, even though I was no offered for a different reason.

I got no-offered last summer and I still love stories like this. Whether or not my no-offer was deserved, (I have no clue why I was) I can assure you it wasn't for something as hilarious as these stories.

Return to “Legal Employment”