Best SA Bloopers / Epic SA Fails to Avoid and Laugh At Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Best SA Bloopers / Epic SA Fails to Avoid and Laugh At

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Bronte wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Stinson wrote:Damn what do you have to do with Westlaw to rack up that kind of bill? Non-stop 50 state surveys all night?
I would venture that it would be impossible to rack up a six figure charge in one night. If I remember correctly, the most expensive thing is law review articles and other secondary sources, and they're around $30 a pop. You would have to download over 8000 of them to break $260,000. You could probably do it over the whole summer, but it would have to be on purpose. Maybe you could do it by accident on hourly billing if you left it on all summer, but even then...
LOL, no. There are things on Westlaw that are much more expensive than $30.
I don't doubt it, but like what? And are you saying it's feasible that you could accidentally spend a quarter million in one night due to feverish research?
At my summer firm, Lexis "Federal and State All" Searches were like $255 each or something.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 am

thesealocust wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:That's hilarious. I've literally never heard a call where people used the announcing feature, but on your first call, there's no way you could know that other than by guessing...
Please tell me you have read the xoxo thread about work conference calls.
Nope -- link?
--LinkRemoved--
Oh, man. THank you for posting that. Should be a fun read.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 am

Bronte wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Stinson wrote:Damn what do you have to do with Westlaw to rack up that kind of bill? Non-stop 50 state surveys all night?
I would venture that it would be impossible to rack up a six figure charge in one night. If I remember correctly, the most expensive thing is law review articles and other secondary sources, and they're around $30 a pop. You would have to download over 8000 of them to break $260,000. You could probably do it over the whole summer, but it would have to be on purpose. Maybe you could do it by accident on hourly billing if you left it on all summer, but even then...
I don't doubt it, but like what? And are you saying it's feasible that you could accidentally spend a quarter million in one night due to feverish research?
It depends on the firm's plan. I once had to access floor records or something. They were like $150 a pop and we needed a bunch of them. I got the OK from the librarian and associate to download them. Spent a few grand on that case alone in one day. All of it was worth it, though.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 am

More stories! This is hysterical!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2013 12:41 am

Here are some fun ones I heard:

Going to an outing with a fellow SAs at a strip club, then billing the firm for it.

Upon hearing that the firm will have an intramural hockey team, SA boasts to the organizing partner about how he will be the best player because he played hockey during high school. Organizing partner is a former NHL player.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 19, 2013 12:46 am

TTRansfer wrote:
thesealocust wrote: Nope -- link?
--LinkRemoved--
No shit, during a hearing today the judge wanted to conference in an executive from my client's company. So we put it on sp3eakerphone and called. The receptionist answers we ask for officer and she puts us on hold. Their hold music was the super mario brothers theme.
loling irl

SammyJ

New

Post by SammyJ » Sun May 19, 2013 2:10 am

Some funny stories here (towards the bottom):

http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/inde ... &Itemid=65

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 am

TTRansfer wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
thesealocust wrote: Nope -- link?
--LinkRemoved--
No shit, during a hearing today the judge wanted to conference in an executive from my client's company. So we put it on sp3eakerphone and called. The receptionist answers we ask for officer and she puts us on hold. Their hold music was the super mario brothers theme.
loling irl
Fucking hilarious, even if it didn't really happen.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Bronte wrote:
Holy... I would never have known that Westlaw would charge you per a pop. Now I'm super scared of doing a "thorough" research... How do people deal with this issue?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Work for clients that don't give a shit.

Also, use the west law hotline. All their searches for you are free.

Persia

New

Post by Persia » Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Holy... I would never have known that Westlaw would charge you per a pop. Now I'm super scared of doing a "thorough" research... How do people deal with this issue?
At my firm they encouraged us to start off with our free Bloomberg student accounts (which were still available over the summer) and then move to Westlaw only once we had a good idea of exactly what to look for and where. Bloomberg also has a shepardizing tool that isn't great, but is free... so it's great for double- and triple-checking after your Lexis or Westlaw shepardizing if you're paranoid about missing anything. You've also got hard copy treatises in your firm's library, and you can always call a Westlaw rep and ask him to design and run a quick search for you.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Two summers before me (as told by the hiring partner himself):
[Setting: nondescript men's room in an office building downtown; Hiring Partner is taking a dump; Summer enters the bathroom]

Summer: [Grabs can of industrial Lysol left behind from cleaning staff the night before] "Ewww, stinky stinky...."

Hiring Partner: "What tha fuck?!"

[Sprays Lysol into the stall where Hiring Partner is taking a dump.]

Summer: [Leaves immediately. From the building. Doesn't come back until the next day.]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Holy... I would never have known that Westlaw would charge you per a pop. Now I'm super scared of doing a "thorough" research... How do people deal with this issue?
Westlaw has training sessions on how to do efficient research (what searches cost more/less, that kind of thing). I don't remember anything about them, though, because I've never worked anywhere that cared in any way about the number of searches we ran. (Unless I somehow got so magically efficient my searches never cost very much... but I highly doubt that.)

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itinerant

New

Post by Itinerant » Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Holy... I would never have known that Westlaw would charge you per a pop. Now I'm super scared of doing a "thorough" research... How do people deal with this issue?
Westlaw has training sessions on how to do efficient research (what searches cost more/less, that kind of thing). I don't remember anything about them, though, because I've never worked anywhere that cared in any way about the number of searches we ran. (Unless I somehow got so magically efficient my searches never cost very much... but I highly doubt that.)
The firm will have Westlaw come in and teach you how to search under their payment plan. For ours, WestlawNext has a search function that is $0 (It's something like "WestNumber Search" or something like that, but it only brings up decisions, and the results aren't quite as good as a full search. So you use the free search first, and then move on.

Before I knew about this, I racked up a 7k bill in a day, and someone called me and asked me to do the Westlaw training.
8)

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 19, 2013 8:50 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
The firm will have Westlaw come in and teach you how to search under their payment plan. For ours, WestlawNext has a search function that is $0 (It's something like "WestNumber Search" or something like that, but it only brings up decisions, and the results aren't quite as good as a full search. So you use the free search first, and then move on.

Before I knew about this, I racked up a 7k bill in a day, and someone called me and asked me to do the Westlaw training.
Hah, that's why I was glad I had permission to rack up a multi-thousand dollar bill.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Cross-post from the Golf thread, but appropriate here, too.
patrickd139 wrote:Just heard a side-splittingly hilarious (true) story about a summer associate at my former firm at a golf outing that took place several years ago. All the details are 100% straight from the hiring partner's mouth. Swear the Golden Bear all of this happened. No embellishment.

The firm is hosting an optional summer associate event at the local country club. Spa option for the ladies, and a round of golf for the guys. Tennis for anyone who wasn't interested in golf or a massage. Let me emphasize that the club is really nice. For instance, they hosted the U.S. Open a few years before this particular story happened.

Summer Associate doesn't play golf, had never played golf, and didn't know the first damn thing about playing golf. But like the consummate alpha bro, Summer picked the golf option without hesitation (or preparation; he didn't even go to the driving range and take a few practice swings before the round). He showed up in cargo shorts, a Hurley t-shirt and tennis shoes to the tee time. One of the junior associates was kind enough to intercept him in the parking lot and direct him to the clubhouse to buy a polo, because the course is collared shirts only.

So out from the clubhouse comes Summer in his brand new, embroidered [Fancy Club] shirt, cargo shorts and New Balance. By this time, pretty much all of the rest of the group had arrived. Three summer associates, a couple junior associates and three partners (the hiring partner who's telling me this story, and two senior partners). One of these partners holds the membership they're playing on. We'll call him Senior. Senior is a very, very serious scratch golfer. He rolls up to the valet, pulls his bag of professional, fitted clubs out of his Benz, sets them in the cart that's waiting for him and heads into the clubhouse to check in, grab a beer, change shoes, etc.

When he comes out, Summer is on the driving range. With Senior's clubs. All but excavating the driving range with the divots he's creating trying to make contact with the ball. Senior is fucking livid, but keeps his cool, walks over and asks summer what he's doing, whether he's ever played golf, subtly mocking him and eventually suggesting that he go to the clubhouse and rent his own set of clubs for the round. Summer does so.

The start the round, Summer and Senior are paired in the same group, along with the managing partner, and end up sharing a cart. About 5 holes in, Summer has lost all of the box of balls that the golf pro had stocked the rented clubs with, so Senior tells Summer to take the cart, go back to the clubhouse, and get more golf balls. Summer comes back about 20 minutes later with a bucket of balls. Orange driving range balls. This really brings the laughs, all at Summer's expense.

Senior is starting to lose his cool at this point, but keeps it together. Summer tees off, and somehow makes it to the next green with the ball he started with. Summer triumphantly returns to the cart while Senior is chipping from the rough just ahead to the left of the cart path, so Summer hops in the driver's seat, heads over to Senior and picks him up. And then he keeps driving. All the way to the green. And keeps going. Up onto the green. In the fucking cart. Senior is apparently so mad and confused about what's happening that he's just screaming random obscenities at Summer, trying to communicate that you should never get within 10 years of the green, much less drive the fucking cart onto it. Summer thinks he's about to have a wreck or something, so he slams on the breaks and digs ruts into the 6th hole green. Senior (whose membership is going to be charged for basically renovating the green) literally yelled at Summer until he almost passed out from exhaustion. All the while, the rest of the summers, associates and partners are actually crying with laughter, some literally rolling on the ground, at what's going down.

Absolute A+ legend status right there. (Obviously, Summer was no-offered.)

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 pm

After I got no offered, I found it really hard to laugh at these kind of stories, even though I was no offered for a different reason.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After I got no offered, I found it really hard to laugh at these kind of stories, even though I was no offered for a different reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pastapplicant

New

Post by pastapplicant » Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Seems kind of lame that the senior would throw a hissy fit because the summer did not know how to play. It was definitely dumb behavior but it seems pretty lame to boil over things like bringing the wrong ball, etc.

I can even understand the golf cart thing as crossing the line because it is going to come from the senior's wallet, but to yell in public like a child is pretty pathetic. With that said, I will remember to play tennis if this scenarios descends upon me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Not exactly a blooper but there's a person at my school who's dropping out at the end of the year. But he's still summering at the firm.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly a blooper but there's a person at my school who's dropping out at the end of the year. But he's still summering at the firm.
Smart bro

That's like free money

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly a blooper but there's a person at my school who's dropping out at the end of the year. But he's still summering at the firm.
Smart bro

That's like free money
Wonder if he'll take time off during his SA to interview for jobs...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”