Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I officially emailed the partners in my group asking to come back as a 2L SA. Unbelievably nervous, because I have no idea if they like me.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Summerz wrote:For everyone with an offer (or about the get one), what’s the grand the plan for 3L? Trying (unsuccessfully) to locate a thread or two on what others did in their 3L year.


First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

traehekat wrote:First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Geaux12 wrote:I officially emailed the partners in my group asking to come back as a 2L SA. Unbelievably nervous, because I have no idea if they like me.


do you have an offer already? let me know how it goes

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby alicrimson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:17 pm

I received an "unofficial" offer today. I was told that they have one guy left to sign off on it, I got to read my reviews, and was asked what practice group and shareholders I'd ideally like to work in/for. It also came up that if I want to, I can transfer my offer to another city. It isn't the official one yet...that one comes in a week or so...but it felt good when the managing shareholder told me that. Much less stressed out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Got my official offer today. Feels so good! My firm also gave me a nice farewell gift, too.

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Stinson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

traehekat wrote:
Summerz wrote:For everyone with an offer (or about the get one), what’s the grand the plan for 3L? Trying (unsuccessfully) to locate a thread or two on what others did in their 3L year.


First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.


Currently prepping for the bar, this is the correct course of action. Just two things to add:

1. Figure out if your state requires you to pass the MPRE before taking the bar, in which case you should take it in the fall.
2. Figure out if your state frequently tests commercial paper and/or secured transactions in which case just take the course. That and evidence are kinda terrible to have to learn in two months if you've literally never seen them before.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got my official offer today. Feels so good! My firm also gave me a nice farewell gift, too.


What was the gift? My firm last summer did not give a 1L an offer to come back (grade drop). Not as great as a gift as yours probably.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:42 am

Don't know if this has been addressed already (or in a different thread), but is anyone looking to reach out to other firms after you get your offer? What's your plan?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my official offer today. Feels so good! My firm also gave me a nice farewell gift, too.


What was the gift? My firm last summer did not give a 1L an offer to come back (grade drop). Not as great as a gift as yours probably.


We got good quality Columbia jackets with the firm's name on it. I'll definitely be getting lots of use out of it.

User avatar
Summerz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Summerz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 am

Stinson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Summerz wrote:For everyone with an offer (or about the get one), what’s the grand plan for 3L?


First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.


Currently prepping for the bar, this is the correct course of action. Just two things to add:

1. Figure out if your state requires you to pass the MPRE before taking the bar, in which case you should take it in the fall.
2. Figure out if your state frequently tests commercial paper and/or secured transactions in which case just take the course. That and evidence are kinda terrible to have to learn in two months if you've literally never seen them before.

Do I have this right? You were offered before you graduated and now you’re prepping for the bar exam. What costs are the firm picking up? Are the costs paid by stipend or loan?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:11 am

Summerz wrote:
Stinson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Summerz wrote:For everyone with an offer (or about the get one), what’s the grand plan for 3L?


First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.


Currently prepping for the bar, this is the correct course of action. Just two things to add:

1. Figure out if your state requires you to pass the MPRE before taking the bar, in which case you should take it in the fall.
2. Figure out if your state frequently tests commercial paper and/or secured transactions in which case just take the course. That and evidence are kinda terrible to have to learn in two months if you've literally never seen them before.

Do I have this right? You were offered before you graduated and now you’re prepping for the bar exam. What costs are the firm picking up? Are the costs paid by stipend or loan?


My firm paid all bar costs (reimbursed application fees, direct bill to barbri), moving costs, reimbursed health insurance premiums, and made available an optional salary advance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 pm

got an offer friday. life is good. 3L coasting here I come.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Boss just stopped by my cube to invite me back for 2L summer -- as he was on his way out the door to leave for China he gives me an "Oh by the way, the shareholders spoke about it and we think you did great work, how would you feel about coming back next Summer and also doing some work for us from school this semester?"

Cloud 9 guys. Cloud 9.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Have any Texas SA homies heard either way about offers from their first half gig yet?

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Lasers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Won't hear back for about a month...in the meantime 3LOLCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any Texas SA homies heard either way about offers from their first half gig yet?


Expecting to hear this week (hopefully).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any Texas SA homies heard either way about offers from their first half gig yet?



Got an offer friday. I know of two other larger Texas firms that have already heard back as well.

moneko
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby moneko » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 am

Lasers wrote:Won't hear back for about a month...in the meantime 3LOLCI.


... ? :( firm/market? particularly worried about no-offer or just as a failsafe?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have any Texas SA homies heard either way about offers from their first half gig yet?



Got an offer two weeks into my second half gig.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am

nvm

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:nvm


ok fine

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:nvm


ok fine

:D sorry, changed my mind, then found out you can't delete anonymous posts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 pm

just an offer (V50). feels good. good luck to everyone still waiting

User avatar
iLaw
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby iLaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Finally. All 10 of us received our offer. I am so happy I stayed in LA instead of going to the northeast or Palo Alto for that matter. Last year the firm took the SAs to Spago to celebrate. That would work for me! Congrats to all.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.