Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Skye

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Postby Skye » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Everybody else getting off at Noon Friday! Love these long weekends!

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Tag

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

We get off at 3PM tomorrow. Hard to say why we’re even coming in tomorrow since most of the partners were gone by 3PM today.

I think there is a tendency to turn a three day weekend into a four day weekend. Case in point we get two days off for the fourth of July (Thurs & Fri). Just glad we’re not on a time clock! :D

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Week 2 Down. There was no traffic on the way in and the place turned into a ghost town at Noon. No one was expected to return after lunch. The lunch gossip (if that is what one calls it) is that some SAs are receiving long tedious assignments while others are continually handed short order tasks — I sensed there was a bit of anxiety over that. I don’t know how to feel about it other to assume these things average themselves out over a few weeks.

How did everyone else’s week go?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Skye wrote:Week 2 Down. There was no traffic on the way in and the place turned into a ghost town at Noon. No one was expected to return after lunch. The lunch gossip (if that is what one calls it) is that some SAs are receiving long tedious assignments while others are continually handed short order tasks — I sensed there was a bit of anxiety over that. I don’t know how to feel about it other to assume these things average themselves out over a few weeks.

It's common that some summers get assigned a lot more work. Some partners and senior associates do not fully buy into the idea that summers should be on vacation. I would not assume that it will even out. In fact, it is pretty weird to be anxious that other summers might get away doing less work. The only thing I was anxious about was getting an offer.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Skye wrote:Everybody else getting off at Noon Friday! Love these long weekends!

Fuck your early release. :x Lucky.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Skye wrote:Week 2 Down. There was no traffic on the way in and the place turned into a ghost town at Noon. No one was expected to return after lunch. The lunch gossip (if that is what one calls it) is that some SAs are receiving long tedious assignments while others are continually handed short order tasks — I sensed there was a bit of anxiety over that. I don’t know how to feel about it other to assume these things average themselves out over a few weeks.

That is just going to be the nature of the beast. I have had times so far where I have had no work and where I have been swamped. You aren't always going to have an assignment or you may get a number of easy things. Just take them as they come and don't worry.

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri May 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
Skye wrote:It's common that some summers get assigned a lot more work. Some partners and senior associates do not fully buy into the idea that summers should be on vacation. I would not assume that it will even out. In fact, it is pretty weird to be anxious that other summers might get away doing less work. The only thing I was anxious about was getting an offer.
Although it is only week two, “offered” anxiety tends to permeate in the SA world. Especially since the attitude about 3L options are generally pessimistic. Maybe it would have been wiser to take an SA offer from a firm with a near 100% record on offers, even if it meant moving for the summer. It seems that the moment something goes poorly the first thought is second guessing the decision about the firm(s) one turned down (or why their "SA offer" came two days late). Perhaps split summers may have lightened those concerns, but the firms I dealt with had “no” checked to their split summer box (so I never asked).

The worst is “no offered,” but in second place must be getting an offer after fretting throughout your SA experience. I need to hang with more optimistic people!

I have looked around for SA topics, doesn’t seem to be many here. What’s up with that?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 pm

I will say that is one thing I am happy about. Being at a firm wtih a near 100% offer rate (and the no-offers only involve true fuck-ups). Eases the anxiety a bit.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 24, 2013 8:07 pm

So much for getting off early, we left maybe 10 minutes earlier than usual. The highlight of the day is that was that we were paid. Saw what they took out, they better not be wasting that money on $14 cupcakes.

Things seem to have settled in. I can’t put my finger on it, but toward the end of the week it was a lot more businesslike than it was during our orientation honeymoon period. Although it has gone unsaid, I sense that there already is a bit of anxiety about being offered. Personally, I think it is way too early to tell, with two more months to go.

And now.... ready to face my very first Memorial Day weekend having to wear a coat to stay semi-warm.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Finally starting tomorrow...shoe, belt and tie shopping today!

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Getting anxious. I finished and handed in my first assignment on Friday. It was on an area of law I had never heard of. It was tough. A part of me keeps stressing that I missed something. I did my best though and the partner wanted me to do what I did for the client. Anxiously awaiting feedback. Hoping I don't have to wait until mid-summer review, but it's possible.

My firm has a 92% offer rate nation-wide. I'm really hoping to get in on that 92%.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 27, 2013 8:48 pm

alicrimson wrote:Getting anxious. I finished and handed in my first assignment on Friday. It was on an area of law I had never heard of. It was tough. A part of me keeps stressing that I missed something. I did my best though and the partner wanted me to do what I did for the client. Anxiously awaiting feedback. Hoping I don't have to wait until mid-summer review, but it's possible.

My firm has a 92% offer rate nation-wide. I'm really hoping to get in on that 92%.

Chill.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Getting anxious. I finished and handed in my first assignment on Friday. It was on an area of law I had never heard of. It was tough. A part of me keeps stressing that I missed something. I did my best though and the partner wanted me to do what I did for the client. Anxiously awaiting feedback. Hoping I don't have to wait until mid-summer review, but it's possible.

Chill.

Alicrimson, you always seem to stress and always do well. You should have more faith in yourself! I know that a little bit of neurosis is part of what impels your success, but if it helps, you definitely don't need to worry as much as you seem to. Which market are you working in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Not a summer associate specific anxiety, but anyone else at least a little concerned about their grades affecting the chances of receiving an offer?

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Starting tomorrow. Kinda nervous, but not full on. Uneasy? Is that what I am?

Skye

Postby Skye » Mon May 27, 2013 11:10 pm

stewie27 wrote:Starting tomorrow. Kinda nervous, but not full on. Uneasy? Is that what I am?

Butterflies… that’s what I call them. Went through it two weeks ago and still have a few going into week 3. The first week will fly by. Yours even more so, this being a short week.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Butterflies are a part of this profession. From the minute we sign up for the LSAT, it's nothing but waiting for other people to rank us: LSAT score, acceptances, 1L grades, summer jobs, law review invites, board positions, permanent offers, clerkships, bar exam results, approval of memos, sign off on transaction documents, responses to document requests, judicial ruling, jury verdicts, and maybe one day retainer checks from clients.

Nobody thrives on red rink and evaluation, but it's a fact of life. The easiest way I've found to deal with it is to realize it's all made up BS anyway, and just approach every task with the following attitude:

I'll either do it right, or I'll fix it.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a summer associate specific anxiety, but anyone else at least a little concerned about their grades affecting the chances of receiving an offer?

If it makes you feel better.... I was concerned when my grades crashed but to my gleeful surprise nobody asked to see them. Actually, the latest grades are my best ever and I wished somebody would ask (nobody has). IMO: If you bang out your SA work in good fashion, grades are apparently moot.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 am

Good luck to everyone starting today!

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 am

thesealocust wrote:Butterflies are a part of this profession. From the minute we sign up for the LSAT, it's nothing but waiting for other people to rank us: LSAT score, acceptances, 1L grades, summer jobs, law review invites, board positions, permanent offers, clerkships, bar exam results, approval of memos, sign off on transaction documents, responses to document requests, judicial ruling, jury verdicts, and maybe one day retainer checks from clients.

Nobody thrives on red rink and evaluation, but it's a fact of life. The easiest way I've found to deal with it is to realize it's all made up BS anyway, and just approach every task with the following attitude:

Great post

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 am

thesealocust wrote:Butterflies are a part of this profession. From the minute we sign up for the LSAT, it's nothing but waiting for other people to rank us: LSAT score, acceptances, 1L grades, summer jobs, law review invites, board positions, permanent offers, clerkships, bar exam results, approval of memos, sign off on transaction documents, responses to document requests, judicial ruling, jury verdicts, and maybe one day retainer checks from clients.

Thank you

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Some unexpectedly cool happened today. We received tickets to see Wicked. Saturday matinee in June. I checked the seating chart a minute ago, close to the stage. I had heard of Wicked but never knew it connected to Oz. Starting to like this lawyering gig!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Sheffield wrote:Some unexpectedly cool happened today. We received tickets to see Wicked. Saturday matinee in June. I checked the seating chart a minute ago, close to the stage. I had heard of Wicked but never knew it connected to Oz. Starting to like this lawyering gig!

oh God, I forgot how cute summer associates can be :D

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 pm

First week is in the books... Generally a good time.. The usual anxiety stuff and my first project is wiping the floor with me, but otherwise a good week... Got paid even!

Return to “Legal Employment”