Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V10 SA @ large office w/ questions relating to firm social events: Multiple male attorneys keep pushing me to cheat on my gf with a particular female SA (think: alpha male banter + occasionally shoving me into the female SA). Also, a couple of other attorneys regularly sh*ttalk (not playfully) about other attorneys to the SA class.

Is there a more credited response than simply ignoring these tools?

The correct response is it really doesn't matter what you do. All of the following are appropriate responses that won't lead to any negative consequences: ignoring them, joining in on the shittalk, hooking up with the other SA.

Pretty much the only thing you can do that would get you in trouble is tell the associates to stop shittalking other attorneys or ratting out the attorneys for talking shit to people.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V10 SA @ large office w/ questions relating to firm social events: Multiple male attorneys keep pushing me to cheat on my gf with a particular female SA (think: alpha male banter + occasionally shoving me into the female SA). Also, a couple of other attorneys regularly sh*ttalk (not playfully) about other attorneys to the SA class.

Is there a more credited response than simply ignoring these tools?

The correct response is it really doesn't matter what you do. All of the following are appropriate responses that won't lead to any negative consequences: ignoring them, joining in on the shittalk, hooking up with the other SA.

Pretty much the only thing you can do that would get you in trouble is tell the associates to stop shittalking other attorneys or ratting out the attorneys for talking shit to people.
Is this serious...

There are no consequences for example if he joins on the shittalk? So because attorney X at my firm makes fun of attorney Y, when I am with attorney X I can also make fun of attorney Y. There is no possibility that this is a minefield, that it is ok for him to do so, but not for me?

And you think it is fine to try to hook up with an SA because your attorney bros are pushing you? What if she gets offended and complains about you? Will the attorney bros talk to the recruiters and tell them, "oh no worries, we told him to do so."

I rarely, rarely try to judge people and believe in a kind of it is not really my business attitude, but the attorneys here are really crossing lines that no SA should cross or be exposed to within a working environment.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:The correct response is it really doesn't matter what you do. All of the following are appropriate responses that won't lead to any negative consequences: ignoring them, joining in on the shittalk, hooking up with the other SA.

People like you are why I'm so reluctant to go for prestige whoring. I can't stand insufferable douches who think that their ability to pass tests make them superior to others. I particularly can't stand people who use other people as toys.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Hah. You should probably ask what jurisdiction they want before you research. I've done that and it has saved my ass a few times when the law is insanely different somewhere else.
Oh I definitely ask but both times (and from two different people), it's this vague response - "just feel it out" or something along those lines, which makes me think it's busy work. Regardless, I check the federal and state law of whatever state the case is currently pending in, and hope for the best.
I wouldn't think that because they say "just feel it out" that it's busy work.

First, it's not always that important to use case law from the same jurisdiction. Especially when you're dealing with federal law, the courts often look across jurisdictions. Case law from the same jurisdiction and especially the relevant court of appeals is best, but federal law is supposed to be uniform.

Second, sometimes the first step in a research assignment is to determine which jurisdiction's law to apply. If it's a diversity action, state law applies, but you need to figure out which state's law. If it's an action in federal court in Michigan but Illinois law applies, then you want to look first to Illinois law as determined by Illinois state courts and second to Illinois law as interpreted by federal courts applying Illinois law. If there is a dearth of Illinois precedent on the subject (as determined by either state or federal courts), then you can look to the law of other states.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Bronte wrote:First, it's not always that important to use case law from the same jurisdiction. Especially when you're dealing with federal law, the courts often look across jurisdictions. Case law from the same jurisdiction and especially the relevant court of appeals is best, but federal law is supposed to be uniform.
Courts really only look across jurisdictions if the law is unsettled in their circuit. Yes, federal law is supposed to be uniform, but it's not always. Your own jurisdiction is always best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Bronte wrote:First, it's not always that important to use case law from the same jurisdiction. Especially when you're dealing with federal law, the courts often look across jurisdictions. Case law from the same jurisdiction and especially the relevant court of appeals is best, but federal law is supposed to be uniform.
Courts really only look across jurisdictions if the law is unsettled in their circuit. Yes, federal law is supposed to be uniform, but it's not always. Your own jurisdiction is always best.
I specifically said that case law from the relevant jurisdiction is best. But I disagree that federal courts only look across jurisdictions when the law is unsettled, unless you're using a pretty capacious definition of unsettled. A lot of times there's just not that much precedent on a particular issue, even if courts uniformly treat the issue. In that case, federal courts readily look across jurisdictions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 am

I just thought the advice was a little misleading, as it seemed to suggest that out of circuit case law was in some way equally binding as in circuit. (I mean unsettled as in "not established.") It's just that I've dealt with enough 1Ls who offer the wrong jurisdiction, I wanted to comment. (Sorry, less relevant to the 2Ls!)

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:The correct response is it really doesn't matter what you do. All of the following are appropriate responses that won't lead to any negative consequences: ignoring them, joining in on the shittalk, hooking up with the other SA.

People like you are why I'm so reluctant to go for prestige whoring. I can't stand insufferable douches who think that their ability to pass tests make them superior to others. I particularly can't stand people who use other people as toys.
Trust me, people who don't have the ability to pass tests find other reasons to think they are superior to others. Most people at prestigious firms are not like this. In addition, it seems like whoever asked this question is incapable of making basic social decisions in life so you probably wouldn't have to communicate with him. Seriously, you should have learned how to handle this situation at least like 7 years ago.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:34 am

AllTheLawz wrote:Trust me, people who don't have the ability to pass tests find other reasons to think they are superior to others. Most people at prestigious firms are not like this. In addition, it seems like whoever asked this question is incapable of making basic social decisions in life so you probably wouldn't have to communicate with him. Seriously, you should have learned how to handle this situation at least like 7 years ago.
Very true. People will always find reasons. But the type of competition the jobs OP is talking about attract more competitive (and hence unpleasant) people. Also, I'm actually not annoyed at the person who posted the question. I've been awkward, I know where he's coming from.

The person who responded, however...yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I just thought the advice was a little misleading, as it seemed to suggest that out of circuit case law was in some way equally binding as in circuit. (I mean unsettled as in "not established.") It's just that I've dealt with enough 1Ls who offer the wrong jurisdiction, I wanted to comment. (Sorry, less relevant to the 2Ls!)
Yeah, it might have been a bit misleading. I was trying to say that, if your assignor is telling you the jurisdiction doesn't matter or to "just wing it" or whatever it was, it's more likely that you're in a situation where the question is unsettled or not established, meaning you're likely going to be looking across jurisdictions. But another point is that if your assignor gives you an abstract legal question with not accompanying facts, you ask what jurisdiction, and he says "just wing it," then you almost certainly are being asked to look at the whole of the law on the subject.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I split at a Vault firm in DC and a mid sized lit firm in Dallas last summer, and had very different experiences at each.....After working for both places, I knew I didn't want to work at Biglaw.
Anon_8:13 - Any regrets? I'm feel similar in some ways, but I'm much less averse to the work at biglaw.

How much did location factor in to your choice? My firm options are in 2 different markets as well and I think that might wind up pushing me in one direction or the other.
I don't have any regrets at all. Well, I guess I regret a little not making Biglaw bucks, but my pay difference was pretty minimal considering the markets. Actually, with adjusted cost of living in Dallas vs. D.C., even before factoring in no state income tax, I'll be taking home a decent amount more money. But no substantive regrets. I wasn't averse to Biglaw work and I enjoyed my time at the large firm until I made it down to the other firm. Then I realized what it was like to do real work and actually learn things. Additionally, the people were so much more knowledgeable and real. I couldn't see myself going to work and really connecting with the Biglaw people every day.

As for the different markets, I had ties to each, and could definitely see living in both cities. My brother lives in one city and my best friend lives in the other, and he's also a lawyer, so either way I was going to enjoy it. I think people really need to think about what makes them happy. I would recommend getting as many different experiences as possible, even interning during the year or, if your school offers clinics, getting out and working with firms or public services like the DA or something else. The way I knew I had made the right decision is because I have had enough experiences since beginning law school that I knew what made me the happiest and would teach me the most. I worked with a law professor, for a small firm, mid sized firm, and large firm, and also worked with a DA's office. After all that, I knew which was the right fit for me.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm

How are the other Weil summer associates going to approach 3L OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are the other Weil summer associates going to approach 3L OCI?
Associate at another big NYC firm here: If you're already a summer at Weil, you aren't in an awful position. The firm doesn't appear to be collapsing and the trimming appeared to be from midlevels/seniors. Weil also already had significant deferral issues, so the writing was kind of already on the wall... you may be able to jump ship if you really want to, but I'm not sure the calculus has actually changed dramatically relative to the moment Weil summers accepted their offers during OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Post by ZyzzBrah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Just a random bad/awkward moment fwiw

walked into copier room and guy (of counsel) was shredding papers and so he just stares at me, and I, trying to lighten the mood, say "oh, hey, getting rid of the evidence there?" and he stares at me as says "why would you ever say something like that, its not funny in a law office. its serious"

stay away from humor. Feel like I ruined my chances with the firm, fuark.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:Just a random bad/awkward moment fwiw

walked into copier room and guy (of counsel) was shredding papers and so he just stares at me, and I, trying to lighten the mood, say "oh, hey, getting rid of the evidence there?" and he stares at me as says "why would you ever say something like that, its not funny in a law office. its serious"

lol this is hilarious

Jacques_Bentley

New

Post by Jacques_Bentley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:12 pm

A12345 wrote:

lol this is hilarious
This is pretty funny, but don't obsess over it, ZyzzBrah. I made a blunder or two like that and it didn't affect anything. Chances are he didn't think twice about it.

Jacques_Bentley

New

Post by Jacques_Bentley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A12345 wrote:

lol this is hilarious
This is pretty funny, but don't obsess over it, ZyzzBrah. I made a blunder or two like that and it didn't affect anything. Chances are he didn't think twice about it.
Oops. This was me. (Accidental anon.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Post by ZyzzBrah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote: This is pretty funny, but don't obsess over it, ZyzzBrah. I made a blunder or two like that and it didn't affect anything. Chances are he didn't think twice about it.

Im probably over thinking it, but he just like stared at me like i told him i was a necrophiliac. He's also told me (when he first introduced himself) that people will give me more respect than i deserve when i start as a clerk (already got a clerkship). idk, the dude just doesnt like me or maybe hes just not friendly

but srs, it was one of the most awkward moments of my life cause nearly everyone else in the office is very friendly/jokes around.

TXIPLitigator

New

Post by TXIPLitigator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: This is pretty funny, but don't obsess over it, ZyzzBrah. I made a blunder or two like that and it didn't affect anything. Chances are he didn't think twice about it.

Im probably over thinking it, but he just like stared at me like i told him i was a necrophiliac. He's also told me (when he first introduced himself) that people will give me more respect than i deserve when i start as a clerk (already got a clerkship). idk, the dude just doesnt like me or maybe hes just not friendly

but srs, it was one of the most awkward moments of my life cause nearly everyone else in the office is very friendly/jokes around.
Dude's got no sense of humor. Makes sense he's a lawyer. Don't sweat it.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:26 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:

Sounds like he's just kind of an ass. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 am

Love it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Post by ZyzzBrah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 am

Update: got onto elevator this morning and who do you think gets on too... But he just stared at his shoes the ride up and didnt say anything (Im a good 8 inches taller than him, so i guess he doesnt wana stare at me).

Peyton

New

Post by Peyton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:Update: got onto elevator this morning and who do you think gets on too... But he just stared at his shoes the ride up and didnt say anything (Im a good 8 inches taller than him, so i guess he doesnt wana stare at me).
I realize that I must be a very special snowflake because I mainly SA from home (with a bloody Mary next to my keyboard), but when I visit my family’s firm everyone there is slammed with work and often working late hours. So, with that in mind how does a traditional firm SA manage to spend lots of time on TLS during the day?

Not enough work or you work for free, what’s up with that?

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:45 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote: walked into copier room and guy (of counsel) was shredding papers and so he just stares at me, and I, trying to lighten the mood, say "oh, hey, getting rid of the evidence there?" and he stares at me as says "why would you ever say something like that, its not funny in a law office. its serious"
Dude is wrong, that IS funny.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Peyton wrote:
ZyzzBrah wrote:Update: got onto elevator this morning and who do you think gets on too... But he just stared at his shoes the ride up and didnt say anything (Im a good 8 inches taller than him, so i guess he doesnt wana stare at me).
I realize that I must be a very special snowflake because I mainly SA from home (with a bloody Mary next to my keyboard), but when I visit my family’s firm everyone there is slammed with work and often working late hours. So, with that in mind how does a traditional firm SA manage to spend lots of time on TLS during the day?

Not enough work or you work for free, what’s up with that?
Not sure if serious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”