Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 am

To the user asking about mass mailing, do you know anyone who could hook you up with partners in the firms? I picked about 8 firms in a particular city that I wanted to work at (I'm targeting mostly biglaw in a smaller that NY market), and I was able to snag four interviews so far that, as far as I can tell, are identical in structure to how my callbacks were. I don't think massmailing is worthless, but I think a more targeted approach might yield better results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I am still waiting two weeks after the day that I "will hear back by at the very latest." Does anyone know if no-offers are all phone calls or if they also no-offer via snail mail? I was told I had nothing to worry about and even got an unofficial offer. Everyone in my summer class has heard, but I have not in my satellite office. The hiring committee scheduled a meeting last Thursday to make a decision, but still no news. I wonder how long this stuff takes or if someone went out of town/got real busy. I wish people would communicate better.
Were you the only summer in your office?

I'm going on week 4 now too....this sucks
Yes. I was the only one in my office, but there were tons nation-wide.

I feel your pain. Especially, if they gave you an estimate and they are now a couple weeks late on that. Here's hoping something just came up and it's no biggie. We'll be okay. Were you the only summer in your office too?
No, I wasn't the only one in my office, but I was one of few. Like you, my firm had many more summers nationwide. I'm wondering if the firm is waiting to release all results across the nation at the same time.

In any case, this is getting irritating and my opinion of the firm is getting worse and worse as the days go by.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I am still waiting two weeks after the day that I "will hear back by at the very latest." Does anyone know if no-offers are all phone calls or if they also no-offer via snail mail? I was told I had nothing to worry about and even got an unofficial offer. Everyone in my summer class has heard, but I have not in my satellite office. The hiring committee scheduled a meeting last Thursday to make a decision, but still no news. I wonder how long this stuff takes or if someone went out of town/got real busy. I wish people would communicate better.
Were you the only summer in your office?

I'm going on week 4 now too....this sucks
Yes. I was the only one in my office, but there were tons nation-wide.

I feel your pain. Especially, if they gave you an estimate and they are now a couple weeks late on that. Here's hoping something just came up and it's no biggie. We'll be okay. Were you the only summer in your office too?
No, I wasn't the only one in my office, but I was one of few. Like you, my firm had many more summers nationwide. I'm wondering if the firm is waiting to release all results across the nation at the same time.

In any case, this is getting irritating and my opinion of the firm is getting worse and worse as the days go by.
Yeah, mine let others know at variable times. Some on the last day and some on the Monday after. It was sort of a mixed bag office by office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Boo. Another hopeful day has come and gone. lol. I wonder if my firm just forgot about me? :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 pm

I am officially employed. My firm from last summer contacted me and offered me a gig.

Man alive. I am so relieved.

It's going to be an insanely tough choice if I have the pleasure of being able to make a choice (here's hoping this year's firm offers me, too). I really don't know what I'll do with the choice. Off.

Either way, good luck to all of you guys waiting on offers!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am officially employed. My firm from last summer contacted me and offered me a gig.

It's going to be an insanely tough choice if I have the pleasure of being able to make a choice (here's hoping this year's firm offers me, too). I really don't know what I'll do with the choice. Off.

Now THAT"S the way it's done!! Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am officially employed. My firm from last summer contacted me and offered me a gig.

Now THAT"S the way it's done!! Congrats!
Thanks a lot. I am so fucking relieved it's not even funny. I'll be in a secondary/tertiary market so I won't be making MAWTLES AND BAWTLES cash, but it'll be enough.

I truly hope everyone here does well. This thread was a place for my sanity to return to me this summer both during work and waiting for the offer(s).

Cheers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I summered at an NALP Big LAW firm and got my offer via phone call a couple of weeks ago. They said I would receive something in the mail, but have not received anything yet. I was told I need to submit the paper work to them by 11/1. (I assume this is per nalp regs) Could this be a cold offer? How long have you had to wait from the time you received a verbal offer to the time you received the formal paper work? When should I start emailing/calling them, if at all?
Thanks

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at an NALP Big LAW firm and got my offer via phone call a couple of weeks ago. They said I would receive something in the mail, but have not received anything yet. I was told I need to submit the paper work to them by 11/1. (I assume this is per nalp regs) Could this be a cold offer? How long have you had to wait from the time you received a verbal offer to the time you received the formal paper work? When should I start emailing/calling them, if at all?
Thanks
Call them tomorrow. It's no big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I summered at an NALP Big LAW firm and got my offer via phone call a couple of weeks ago. They said I would receive something in the mail, but have not received anything yet. I was told I need to submit the paper work to them by 11/1. (I assume this is per nalp regs) Could this be a cold offer? How long have you had to wait from the time you received a verbal offer to the time you received the formal paper work? When should I start emailing/calling them, if at all?
Thanks
Call them tomorrow. It's no big deal.
yes, call or e-mail your recruiting contact. you're overthinking it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 am

Edit: Found more appropriate thread to ask question. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Well, thankfully I had my 1L firm to fall back on as I just got the bad call from my 2L firm. Talk about a blessing.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, thankfully I had my 1L firm to fall back on as I just got the bad call from my 2L firm. Talk about a blessing.

Sorry about the bad call, but congrats on having something. ITE, that's a big accomplishment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:01 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, thankfully I had my 1L firm to fall back on as I just got the bad call from my 2L firm. Talk about a blessing.

Sorry about the bad call, but congrats on having something. ITE, that's a big accomplishment.
It's all good. The 1L firm actually pays better, too. :twisted:

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

Haha. So all around better deal. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Waiting to hearback from summer firm. It's a midsize, would it hurt if i called saying I loved firm and am willing to work for 30k less than starting? I really loved the lifestyle of the firm and 30k less is way better than alternatives, or possible unemployment. Thoughts?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hearback from summer firm. It's a midsize, would it hurt if i called saying I loved firm and am willing to work for 30k less than starting? I really loved the lifestyle of the firm and 30k less is way better than alternatives, or possible unemployment. Thoughts?
I think this would come off as (1) weird as hell and (2) desperate as hell

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hearback from summer firm. It's a midsize, would it hurt if i called saying I loved firm and am willing to work for 30k less than starting? I really loved the lifestyle of the firm and 30k less is way better than alternatives, or possible unemployment. Thoughts?
I think this would come off as (1) weird as hell and (2) desperate as hell
+1 (especially if they have lockstep salaries)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:25 am

alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

Haha. So all around better deal. :)
Basically. I guess I am sort of annoyed, though, because I was told that the firm doesn't over-hire summers and the reason I was given was that there was no room for me. Just really bummed me out, I guess. C'est la vie.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

Finished my SA on Friday, and now sometime in the next 11 days the firm will call us with an offer or no offer. Getting excited to have this over with.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am

How did you necro this rather than posting in this year's thread?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”