Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Diamond

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by bk1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:44 am

Nominating this thread for worst of the year.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am

bk187 wrote:Nominating this thread for worst of the year.
Can't be. Thesealocust is posting in it. That automatically bumps it up several slots from 'horribly retarded' to 'retarded'.

Folks, stop stressing yourselves. Go out, do the work, come home, crack a beer. This is not rocket science and you don't need to stress about every little detail. And for God's sake, don't let work follow you home. Get into good mental habits now.

Summerz

New

Post by Summerz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:43 am

I found this to be one of the few topics to be of interest. People just writing about their SA experiences on a law school board, how novel. Up until now this was one of the few (and perhaps only) interesting threads where someone with thousands of posts hadn’t jumped in just to say something really negative. I guess it was just a matter of time… I do not know why they think it's cool, but they must.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 am

having trouble researching an assignment - any pointers would be helpful.

issue: A goes to new insurance agent seeking a new umbrella policy. B, the new agent, sets up a new umbrella policy to begin on the first of the month. A's old umbrella policy, which was set to expire at the end of the month, was actually cancelled due to delinquency just one day before the new umbrella policy was set to begin. On the day that A was not covered, because old policy was cancelled and new policy had yet to begin, there was an accident.

A's previous insurer had given notice of the delinquency, however, A wants to sue B arguing that B should have inquired about prior policy coverage/whether or not A was delinquent.

I have been looking for duties/responsibilities for agents but I just cant seem to find an answer. Any help/advice?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 am

nucky thompson wrote:having trouble researching an assignment - any pointers would be helpful.

issue: A goes to new insurance agent seeking a new umbrella policy. B, the new agent, sets up a new umbrella policy to begin on the first of the month. A's old umbrella policy, which was set to expire at the end of the month, was actually cancelled due to delinquency just one day before the new umbrella policy was set to begin. On the day that A was not covered, because old policy was cancelled and new policy had yet to begin, there was an accident.

A's previous insurer had given notice of the delinquency, however, A wants to sue B arguing that B should have inquired about prior policy coverage/whether or not A was delinquent.

I have been looking for duties/responsibilities for agents but I just cant seem to find an answer. Any help/advice?
http://next.westlaw.com/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 am

Cavalier wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:having trouble researching an assignment - any pointers would be helpful.

I have been looking for duties/responsibilities for agents but I just cant seem to find an answer. [via westlaw] Any help/advice?
http://next.westlaw.com/

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 am

I would guess that the principal having actual notice might limit a claim against the agent.
There are very specific insurance related cases. Find the insurance law for your state. There must be treatises, restatements, insurance law digests.

I'm not an expert but this sounds like something that has happened before and been litigated if the money is large enough.

Not giving advice to be relied on here- just trying to point you in a very general direction.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 am

Call the Westlaw/Lexis librarians/help line-- they are great with helping to structure searches to get what you need.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:49 am

Did you ask your firm's librarian for advice? That's always the first step if you're stuck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Renne Walker wrote:This week we got a hefty dose of "what lies in store"... never ending assignments, there was barely time to have a sandwich in the park (forget about making lunch reservations).
Thanks for the chuckle -- "what lies in store" does NOT equal "sandwich in the park"

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Don't use the term "agent." Use the term "broker."

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:This week we got a hefty dose of "what lies in store"... never ending assignments, there was barely time to have a sandwich in the park (forget about making lunch reservations).
Thanks for the chuckle -- "what lies in store" does NOT equal "sandwich in the park"
That was a ++180 chuckle! Still... :lol: :lol:

(I laugh respectfully, since RW is my go-to TV ratings guru.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Is anyone else considering stepping away from Biglaw? The TLS consensus is that we haven't see anything yet in terms of work. This scares me. I've been billing 8.50-9 hours a day for the past several weeks. I'm exhausted. I don't think I'm cut out for this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the work. I just don't think it's the quality of life I'm looking for. I want a family one day and I want to have hobbies. Anyone else rethinking big law?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else considering stepping away from Biglaw? The TLS consensus is that we haven't see anything yet in terms of work. This scares me. I've been billing 8.50-9 hours a day for the past several weeks. I'm exhausted. I don't think I'm cut out for this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the work. I just don't think it's the quality of life I'm looking for. I want a family one day and I want to have hobbies. Anyone else rethinking big law?
(a) I think Big Law is just a stepping stone for the vast majority of people. It's a way to pay off loans and it provides great exit options

(b) Where are you working that you're putting in that many hours as an SA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else considering stepping away from Biglaw? The TLS consensus is that we haven't see anything yet in terms of work. This scares me. I've been billing 8.50-9 hours a day for the past several weeks. I'm exhausted. I don't think I'm cut out for this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the work. I just don't think it's the quality of life I'm looking for. I want a family one day and I want to have hobbies. Anyone else rethinking big law?
(a) I think Big Law is just a stepping stone for the vast majority of people. It's a way to pay off loans and it provides great exit options

(b) Where are you working that you're putting in that many hours as an SA?
I'm worried about the outing. haha. I don't want to name the firm. It's vault 50 though.

I like the exit options. I'll have 20k in debt when all is said and done, so not awful. Loan money always helps though.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm worried about the outing. haha. I don't want to name the firm. It's vault 50 though.

I like the exit options. I'll have 20k in debt when all is said and done, so not awful. Loan money helps.
I assume it's in NYC. Have you talked to the recruiting people at your firm? I don't think there should be any real reason for a summer to be working 60-80 hours per week. All or most of the work you're doing is being written off. No reason to kill yourself over it. Are the rest of the SAs at your firm doing the same thing?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Billing 9 hours a day? Fuck me, man. Like Flips said, your work's getting written off anyway, don't burn yourself out this summer before you even start.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm worried about the outing. haha. I don't want to name the firm. It's vault 50 though.

I like the exit options. I'll have 20k in debt when all is said and done, so not awful. Loan money helps.
I assume it's in NYC. Have you talked to the recruiting people at your firm? I don't think there should be any real reason for a summer to be working 60-80 hours per week. All or most of the work you're doing is being written off. No reason to kill yourself over it. Are the rest of the SAs at your firm doing the same thing?
At some firms SAs work almost like regular associates. Cravath is the most notorious, but it's not the only one. They're in the minority, but it's become more of a thing recently. The last thing I would do is go complain to recruiting. Have a moment of introspection and consider whether you're working long hours because you have to or because you're being a gunner. If it's the former, just suck it up and worry about rethinking big law after you get the offer.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm

There's luck of the draw from start to finish. The capital markets are very busy, as are some litigation matters, which means frantic associates and frantic associates passing work to summer associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Not the people from before, but I'll concur that it's really hard to turn down work as a summer. And very easy to get overwhelmed if you just take on everything. But try your best. It's obviously better to turn down some work and have some downtime than to blow deadlines and turn in shitty work because you have too many things going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Bronte wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

At some firms SAs work almost like regular associates. Cravath is the most notorious, but it's not the only one. They're in the minority, but it's become more of a thing recently. The last thing I would do is go complain to recruiting. Have a moment of introspection and consider whether you're working long hours because you have to or because you're being a gunner. If it's the former, just suck it up and worry about rethinking big law after you get the offer.
I'm starting to reconsider NY biglaw and thinking about trying to leverage the offer to move to a smaller market. Can anyone attest that the hours are more reasonable outside of NY? Is this more true at regional firms than national ones?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MayomiSanchez

New

Post by MayomiSanchez » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 pm

First year lit associate at V20 here, summers at my firm seem to be pretty busy, many working on weekends etc. just throwing that out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Bronte wrote: At some firms SAs work almost like regular associates. Cravath is the most notorious, but it's not the only one. They're in the minority, but it's become more of a thing recently. The last thing I would do is go complain to recruiting. Have a moment of introspection and consider whether you're working long hours because you have to or because you're being a gunner. If it's the former, just suck it up and worry about rethinking big law after you get the offer.
Actually, the summer workload is highly partner-dependent at Cravath. For many SAs, leaving around six is normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Is it the consensus that it's better to say no to work, focus on 2 assignments instead of 3, and make sure the 2 are truly polished instead of just alright? The summer coordinator offered me a third assignment today and I felt bad saying no. He sounded disappointed.

In other words, quality over quantity?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it the consensus that it's better to say no to work, focus on 2 assignments instead of 3, and make sure the 2 are truly polished instead of just alright? The summer coordinator offered me a third assignment today and I felt bad saying no. He sounded disappointed.

In other words, quality over quantity?
Generally yes, but we don't know the specifics of your firm. Maybe the firm expected you to take the 3rd. Maybe they expected you to do a great job on all 3 and thought you could easily handle 3. Maybe they expected you to work late to finish a 3rd assignment. Then again, maybe they didn't. Maybe they are really chill and don't care. We can't tell you for sure because we don't work at your firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”