Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi guys,

I know much has already been written about being a summer associate at large, mid-level, and small firms but I thought I would start this thread as a way to refresh the subject and allow people to post general anxieties, experiences, things they expected but didn't see, things they didn't expect but did see, etc.

As for me, I start this Monday (as I'm sure a lot of you are as well) but my firm already had a pre-orientation that was extremely awkward and most people looked like zombies by the end. Now, I'm kind of dreading it. I know that I have no reason to complaint - most people would beg for the opportunity, but I guess I'm just wondering whether most summer associates are looking for new friends and are willing to "put themselves out there" so to speak. I'm sure you guys will have a lot of viewpoints on this.

Finally, I would like to say good luck to everyone and lets cross our fingers for full-time offers across the board in 8-12 weeks!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

I know much has already been written about being a summer associate at large, mid-level, and small firms but I thought I would start this thread as a way to refresh the subject and allow people to post general anxieties, experiences, things they expected but didn't see, things they didn't expect but did see, etc.

As for me, I start this Monday (as I'm sure a lot of you are as well) but my firm already had a pre-orientation that was extremely awkward and most people looked like zombies by the end. Now, I'm kind of dreading it. I know that I have no reason to complaint - most people would beg for the opportunity, but I guess I'm just wondering whether most summer associates are looking for new friends and are willing to "put themselves out there" so to speak. I'm sure you guys will have a lot of viewpoints on this.

Finally, I would like to say good luck to everyone and lets cross our fingers for full-time offers across the board in 8-12 weeks!
Stop worrying, be chill, you'll make friends, but it isn't your purpose in being there. Your purpose in being there is to be liked by current attorneys and seen as responsible, hard-working, and not stupid.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Fri May 17, 2013 6:34 pm

One down! Even with all the work, this first week flew by. Stayed until 6:30 every night (except today) even though I didn’t have to. The partners could not have been nicer. One associate went to hand me something and a partner stepped in and said I was already swamped — later I was informed about prioritizing. I can absolutely confirm that there is no lack of work. . . rumor is that we will be asked to extend our SA by two weeks. Since I hadn’t planned a vacation break, I am good with that.

There was a firm event but we were not invited, but I heard we will be invited to one next week. So, I have yet to experience that aspect. Nor have I experienced any formal review of my work. Also, because two others and I have our own office (two SAs share an office), there has been only minimal contact with the other SAs. Anyway, that is the essence of week one.

tree123

New

Post by tree123 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Skye wrote:One down! Even with all the work, this first week flew by. Stayed until 6:30 every night (except today) even though I didn’t have to. The partners could not have been nicer. One associate went to hand me something and a partner stepped in and said I was already swamped — later I was informed about prioritizing. I can absolutely confirm that there is no lack of work. . . rumor is that we will be asked to extend our SA by two weeks. Since I hadn’t planned a vacation break, I am good with that.

There was a firm event but we were not invited, but I heard we will be invited to one next week. So, I have yet to experience that aspect. Nor have I experienced any formal review of my work. Also, because two others and I have our own office (two SAs share an office), there has been only minimal contact with the other SAs. Anyway, that is the essence of week one.
Sounds like you are having a great time. May I ask, are you at a large firm or mid-size? It seems unusual that a large firm, which typically has this process pretty streamlined would extend the SA? How typical is that?

Also, how are you liking the people you are working with? Catty, snotty, awkward, etc.?

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 pm

tree123 wrote:Sounds like you are having a great time. May I ask, are you at a large firm or mid-size? It seems unusual that a large firm, which typically has this process pretty streamlined would extend the SA? How typical is that? Also, how are you liking the people you are working with? Catty, snotty, awkward, etc.?
It’s all good. A partner invited us to lunch today at an uptown restaurant and everyone had a great time (heard a lot of humorous stories). I could have had a mixed drink but didn’t (knowing a pile of projects awaited me).

The firm, isn’t a V250 (around 50 attorneys) but they are prestigious inasmuch as they have an impressive fortune-whatever client list. As far as their policy versus other firms, no idea. I did hear that every now and then we can expect comp tickets to certain events, definitely cool. So far the experience is much better than advertised.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Skye wrote:The firm, isn’t a V250 (around 50 attorneys) but they are prestigious inasmuch as they have an impressive fortune-whatever client list.
This is the best sentence everyone has ever written. It fills me with such a strange mixture of despair and joy.

Rankings, prestige, rankings based on prestige, rankings based on other rankings, misunderstanding of rankings... it really sums up our profession.

I don't mean that to be critical at all - it's not an obnoxious sentence or anything, it's perfectly reasonable. It's just... beautiful.

Beautiful.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Skye wrote:The firm, isn’t a V250 (around 50 attorneys) but they are prestigious inasmuch as they have an impressive fortune-whatever client list.
This is the best sentence everyone has ever written. It fills me with such a strange mixture of despair and joy.

Rankings, prestige, rankings based on prestige, rankings based on other rankings, misunderstanding of rankings... it really sums up our profession.

I don't mean that to be critical at all - it's not an obnoxious sentence or anything, it's perfectly reasonable. It's just... beautiful.

Beautiful.
Lol, nice.

Anyway, my advice would be to try not to worry to much about the offer. I definitely did. At best, it made my summer less enjoyable. At worst, it made me seem awkward.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Sun May 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Now that the weekend is about over, anyone else have a few “here comes the second week” butterflies? Do not understand why, but I certainly do.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 pm

It may only be in hindsight that you realize there was nothing to fear as a summer but fear itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:It may only be in hindsight that you realize there was nothing to fear as a summer but fear itself.
Thanks, there’s that along with two particular projects I was handed. They have fairly lengthy deadlines since they were deemed difficult, which I am about to conclude that a better definition would have been — impenetrable. . :(

Since you have been on board with TLS since ’08, thought you might know, why is there so little on SAs? Is it that most people start later, or has it always been that way? Just curious.

One thing about SA v. LS. bed time comes a lot earlier!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Skye wrote:
thesealocust wrote:It may only be in hindsight that you realize there was nothing to fear as a summer but fear itself.
Thanks, there’s that along with two particular projects I was handed. They have fairly lengthy deadlines since they were deemed difficult, which I am about to conclude that a better definition would have been — impenetrable. . :(

Since you have been on board with TLS since ’08, thought you might know, why is there so little on SAs? Is it that most people start later, or has it always been that way? Just curious.

One thing about SA v. LS. bed time comes a lot earlier!
There was a long SA thread last summer. It'll build steam.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 pm

There's plenty about SAs, but either not much to say (only puke on people who really deserve it?) or the experiences are just too unique to get much traction in a thread (TLS can't help each summer with each area of the law they wind up exposed to).

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 pm

I will say I am super fucking glad to have done a 1L SA so I don't have this feeling of impending doom this year that I had last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Sun May 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Well, that and the no-fault no-offer.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Skye wrote:One down! Even with all the work, this first week flew by. Stayed until 6:30 every night (except today) even though I didn’t have to. The partners could not have been nicer. One associate went to hand me something and a partner stepped in and said I was already swamped — later I was informed about prioritizing. I can absolutely confirm that there is no lack of work. . . rumor is that we will be asked to extend our SA by two weeks. Since I hadn’t planned a vacation break, I am good with that.

50 attorneys and 5 SAs? It wouldn't surprise me if at least one of yall gets no offered

Then again, maybe your firm does 100% every year

But it wouldn't surprise me

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:50 attorneys and 5 SAs? It wouldn't surprise me if at least one of yall gets no offered

Then again, maybe your firm does 100% every year

But it wouldn't surprise me
I know that there is more than enough work (at least so far). On the other hand for forty weeks a year they somehow manage to get along just fine without any SAs! A much larger firm (+200 attorneys) across town cut their SA class from 20 to 10.

Unfortunately, as far as “offered” I think that decision (with certain exceptions) is normally more fluid than assured.

Peyton

New

Post by Peyton » Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to say good luck to everyone and lets cross our fingers for full-time offers across the board in 8-12 weeks!
When do firms usually divulge their intentions? I assume it is at the end of the SA term, but before then what are the subtle (or obvious) signs on how their decision is likely to go? Or is it a white-knuckle experience until the very last minute?

I’ll assume they bring in people individually to break the news (if it is not good) and a throw party for everyone else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 am

Peyton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would like to say good luck to everyone and lets cross our fingers for full-time offers across the board in 8-12 weeks!
When do firms usually divulge their intentions? I assume it is at the end of the SA term, but before then what are the subtle (or obvious) signs on how their decision is likely to go? Or is it a white-knuckle experience until the very last minute?

I’ll assume they bring in people individually to break the news (if it is not good) and a throw party for everyone else.
My firm gave every indication that I was a typical summer associate until I got no-offered via email 2 weeks later when others got offer calls.

SammyJ

New

Post by SammyJ » Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Peyton wrote:

My firm gave every indication that I was a typical summer associate until I got no-offered via email 2 weeks later when others got offer calls.
Yikes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Peyton wrote:

At my firm (V20, typically very high offer rates - 95+%, but occasionally one or two people get no offered), they basically had a policy of explicitly warning you in your mid-summer review if there was any danger that you'd get no-offered. Basically, unless they said otherwise in your midsummer review, you were fine barring anything truly egregious.

As far as the actual no-offer, the one guy who got no-offered my summer was brought in a couple days before the end of the summer, told he wasn't getting an offer, and told he could either keep coming in or take off early, whatever he preferred. The rest of us got offers on our last day.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Mon May 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Skye wrote:
tree123 wrote:Sounds like you are having a great time. May I ask, are you at a large firm or mid-size? It seems unusual that a large firm, which typically has this process pretty streamlined would extend the SA? How typical is that? Also, how are you liking the people you are working with? Catty, snotty, awkward, etc.?
It’s all good. A partner invited us to lunch today at an uptown restaurant and everyone had a great time (heard a lot of humorous stories). I could have had a mixed drink but didn’t (knowing a pile of projects awaited me).

The firm, isn’t a V250 (around 50 attorneys) but they are prestigious inasmuch as they have an impressive fortune-whatever client list. As far as their policy versus other firms, no idea. I did hear that every now and then we can expect comp tickets to certain events, definitely cool. So far the experience is much better than advertised.
Reading between the lines, this firm sounds awful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
Skye wrote:

Tell me what I am missing inbetween-the-lines? Am I supposed to get a limo ride to/from work every day? .:?

Other than we (SAs) didn’t get an invite to a client social tonight, the experience is, as I noted above “better than advertised!”

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Skye wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:
Skye wrote:

Tell me what I am missing inbetween-the-lines? Am I supposed to get a limo ride to/from work every day? .:?

Other than we (SAs) didn’t get an invite to a client social tonight, the experience is, as I noted above “better than advertised!”
Don't listen to that person...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Seeing the 1Ls at my firm fret about bullshit makes me, yet again, appreciate the fact that I did this SA thing last year as well.

sunny88

New

Post by sunny88 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Seeing the 1Ls at my firm fret about bullshit makes me, yet again, appreciate the fact that I did this SA thing last year as well.
I'm going to join in on this point. I worked for a judge last summer and am starting to wish I'd gone the firm route after 1L. Oh well...I'm two days in and I've really enjoyed it. The people I've met are amazing and I really like the other summers. We get our first assignments tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. Trying very hard to shake that feeling though, because I don't think it'll help much. Good luck everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”