Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stinson

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by Stinson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Summerz wrote:
Stinson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Summerz wrote:For everyone with an offer (or about the get one), what’s the grand plan for 3L?
First Semester: Drink; golf; travel; remember to take exams/turn in papers at end of semester.
Second Semester: Repeat. Graduate.
Afterward: Don't fuck up bar exam.
Currently prepping for the bar, this is the correct course of action. Just two things to add:

1. Figure out if your state requires you to pass the MPRE before taking the bar, in which case you should take it in the fall.
2. Figure out if your state frequently tests commercial paper and/or secured transactions in which case just take the course. That and evidence are kinda terrible to have to learn in two months if you've literally never seen them before.
Do I have this right? You were offered before you graduated and now you’re prepping for the bar exam. What costs are the firm picking up? Are the costs paid by stipend or loan?
The prep course and bar exam (this was like $4000 all told) itself were paid in full by firm, not a loan. For living expenses my firm offered no-interest salary advances for people who wanted them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Stinson wrote: The prep course and bar exam (this was like $4000 all told) itself were paid in full by firm, not a loan. For living expenses my firm offered no-interest salary advances for people who wanted them.
Can you say how much the advance was (particularly if you are talking NYC BigLaw?) Really difficult to tell what market is these days given that that old ATL chart is probably way outdated. Anyone else please feel free to chime in on this -- anon if you are worried. Maybe it's something I should ask in my exit/offer/no-offer interview this summer? Is it enough to actually support yourself until a September/October start date? How do people do this?

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Not NYC. It was any amount up to $15,000. I don't know that I would ask it in the exit interview, but that's just my personality. It will be a year between offer and bar exam, and I would think most firms would inform people of the relevant policies substantially in advance. Barbri - and I imagine the others - asks people when they sign up whether a firm will be paying the tab, so firms know you need to know that stuff.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 am

moneko wrote:
Lasers wrote:Won't hear back for about a month...in the meantime 3LOLCI.
... ? :( firm/market? particularly worried about no-offer or just as a failsafe?
v100 in LA market. mostly doing it for a fallback option because you really never know until you do.

firm has a good track record but i've heard this year might be less certain than the years before despite strong financial performance last year. so we'll see... :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any Texas SA homies heard either way about offers from their first half gig yet?
Expecting to hear this week (hopefully).
Anon above....offer today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am

had a pretty glowing final review today; no negative feedback, a few general constructive words of advice, and pretty much universal praise.

so i've done my part...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

Lasers wrote:had a pretty glowing final review today; no negative feedback, a few general constructive words of advice, and pretty much universal praise.

so i've done my part...
Same. And my firm offered 49/50 last year. But it is still nerve-wracking to wait for an offer. My firm said it may be weeks until we hear from them. Ugh.

And I actually can't do OCI because I am going to be out of the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Just had end of summer review. Was told "These are all glowing reviews, that not everyone receives, you should feel proud. You've had a great summer." Firm has like a 98% offer rate so feeling pretty solid now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stinson wrote: The prep course and bar exam (this was like $4000 all told) itself were paid in full by firm, not a loan. For living expenses my firm offered no-interest salary advances for people who wanted them.
Can you say how much the advance was (particularly if you are talking NYC BigLaw?) Really difficult to tell what market is these days given that that old ATL chart is probably way outdated. Anyone else please feel free to chime in on this -- anon if you are worried. Maybe it's something I should ask in my exit/offer/no-offer interview this summer? Is it enough to actually support yourself until a September/October start date? How do people do this?

My firm that I just received an offer from pays all bar prep and bar costs, a 4k acceptance bonus, and a 5k stipend (not a salary advance, just additional bonus money basically) given out around the time we finish up with school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm that I just received an offer from pays all bar prep and bar costs, a 4k acceptance bonus, and a 5k stipend (not a salary advance, just additional bonus money basically) given out around the time we finish up with school.
I like the sound of “acceptance bonus” because it is easy to understand. To me stipend sounds like a reward with strings attached.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 am

Offer today, thank the lord. I looked like a fool all summer for being cautious because the firm has a 100% offer rate, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Reviews were great - people are way too nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 am

iLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm that I just received an offer from pays all bar prep and bar costs, a 4k acceptance bonus, and a 5k stipend (not a salary advance, just additional bonus money basically) given out around the time we finish up with school.
I like the sound of “acceptance bonus” because it is easy to understand. To me stipend sounds like a reward with strings attached.

I think they call it a stipend since it's basically paid out in installments in the four months after graduation before we start in september. It's supposed to help cover the living expenses in those months, hence stipend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes nyc big law to make offers? I am trying to figure out when I should start getting nervous. How many days/weeks after the program ends?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes nyc big law to make offers? I am trying to figure out when I should start getting nervous. How many days/weeks after the program ends?
It varies. Some firms take a while; others make their decision before the summer ends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Waiting on offers sucks :-/

The only review not in when I finished was from a notoriously cantankerous lit partner. I want transactional and all my other reviews were good (especially from the practice group I want) so realistically I don't think this will make or break me... But I'm going to go ahead and freak out until I hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same anon -- does anyone know about this? Is $5-15k standard for NYC? If it's $5k do you pretty much have to take out more loans to survive May to October?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same anon -- does anyone know about this? Is $5-15k standard for NYC? If it's $5k do you pretty much have to take out more loans to survive May to October?
Market for NYC tends to be bar prep courses/bar exam fees and expenses/moving expenses all covered by the firm, with a salary advance on top of that (normally up to $10k or so). I know a few firms (Paul Hastings is one and I think STB is another) only pay for moving expenses BUT give a $15k-$18k stipend (i.e., you don't have to pay it back). Ends up being slightly better but you have to pay your own way for bar prep, transportation to bar exam, fees, hotels, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 am

I am surprised that a good number of friends are still awaiting word on being offered, even though their SA ended last week. There are others SAing until mid-August and may not have a decision until class begins. What is up with that?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:06 am

iLaw wrote:I am surprised that a good number of friends are still awaiting word on being offered, even though their SA ended last week. There are others SAing until mid-August and may not have a decision until class begins. What is up with that?
Their hiring committee hasn't made final decisions yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 am

NYstate wrote:
iLaw wrote:I am surprised that a good number of friends are still awaiting word on being offered, even though their SA ended last week. There are others SAing until mid-August and may not have a decision until class begins. What is up with that?
Still waiting to hear from my NYC firm even though the program ended. The firm has a history of giving out 100% offers, so not sure why they are taking their time. It would have been sweet if they had just given out the offers on the last day of work. Only one person was offered on the last day, but this person is a VIP, sort of. I am afraid to ask the other SA's if they have heard back.
Is it possible that some of us won't hear anything? That we will just be ignored? After all, we were hired for the summer and the firm doesn't owe us a thing besides summer pay. They don't owe us an acceptance or a rejection. So, getting worried.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Still waiting to hear from my NYC firm even though the program ended. The firm has a history of giving out 100% offers, so not sure why they are taking their time. It would have been sweet if they had just given out the offers on the last day of work. Only one person was offered on the last day, but this person is a VIP, sort of. I am afraid to ask the other SA's if they have heard back.
Is it possible that some of us won't hear anything? That we will just be ignored? After all, we were hired for the summer and the firm doesn't owe us a thing besides summer pay. They don't owe us an acceptance or a rejection. So, getting worried.
Seriously, you need to calm the fuck down. Do you honestly believe a professional large firm is going to never respond and act as if you don't exist?
Two things: people are gone in August so they may not be able to finalize their hiring plans; secondly and more importantly, summer associates and their anxiety is at the bottom of the list of partners concerns.

I know while you are a summer it may seem like the firm revolves around you. It doesn't.

Not to add to your anxiety but did you act like this as an SA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Seriously, you need to calm the fuck down. Do you honestly believe a professional large firm is going to never respond and act as if you don't exist?
Two things: people are gone in August so they may not be able to finalize their hiring plans; secondly and more importantly, summer associates and their anxiety is at the bottom of the list of partners concerns.

I know while you are a summer it may seem like the firm revolves around you. It doesn't.

Not to add to your anxiety but did you act like this as an SA?
Not to add to your anxiety but did you act like this as an SA? If I did come off this way, would that affect my chances of getting an offer?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 am

lol

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 am

For those still waiting for offers, just sit back and relax. Enjoy the rest of summer. Trying to read the tea leaves here is the ultimate exercise in futility - there are any number of reasons for which a firm may take a while to get back to summers about offers, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with the actual decision of whether or not to extend an offer. Do your sanity a favor and take some of that sweet, sweet SA dough and take a short trip somewhere with some friends.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:43 am

Not to add to your anxiety but did you act like this as an SA?[/quote]

Not to add to your anxiety but did you act like this as an SA? If I did come off this way, would that affect my chances of getting an offer?[/quote]

Are you serious or just trolling to increase the anxiety levels of all the SAs? Most people are getting offers so you should all relax. Outside of looking for other jobs, there is nothing else you can do.

To answer your question, I find your combination of entitlement with paranoia fairly off-putting. This probably did not come through at your summer job, though the entitlement might have. Being worried about an offer is normal but you seem way over the top. Just relax. The firm has policies and procedures to follow. You will get an answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”