RA Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RA Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 3:46 pm

I have an upcoming RA interview and I was wondering, what are some typical questions I can expect (different from firm interviews)?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri May 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

aces

Re: RA Interview

Postby aces » Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm

It will differ a lot from professor to professor. I did a few before my 1L summer and none was really substantive at all. Most consisted of the professor describing their research and what my responsibilities would be if I took the position for the bulk of the interview. A few asked about my interest in their particular area of the law or asked about my relevant pre-law-school experience in the area (as noted in my cover letter). And then there's your standard small talk (how is law school going? What do you think your career path will be? etc). There's no need to prepare too much other than to read up on that professor's research.

Anonymous User

Re: RA Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Express an interest in the subject matter and ask why their personal view on the research topic is what it is. They're legitimately interested in this stuff. I also think it's even more important to focus on personal interests as it's not a big company, and they're looking just for somebody they would like to have a beer with and do pretty decent work.

Return to “Legal Employment”