Class Rank After OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Class Rank After OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 1:20 pm

I missed out on getting a job at OCI and ended up with a job at a small firm. At my school, you generally needed to be in the top 20% to interview at OCI and top 10% for the top firms. My class rank is around 14%. Does it even matter for me anymore to try to work my ass off to get into the top 10%? Or does that not matter anymore? Even if I still want a job at a large or mid-size firm.

TTRansfer

Re: Class Rank After OCI

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Since you missed out on OCI -- yes. You should work your ass off to get your GPA up. If you had not missed out on OCI, I don't think it'd be worth it nearly as much (unless your firm cared about grades).

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Sat May 18, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I missed out on getting a job at OCI and ended up with a job at a small firm. At my school, you generally needed to be in the top 20% to interview at OCI and top 10% for the top firms. My class rank is around 14%. Does it even matter for me anymore to try to work my ass off to get into the top 10%? Or does that not matter anymore? Even if I still want a job at a large or mid-size firm.

OP I was top 33% at the beginning of 2L so I didn't get an SA through OCI, I worked my ass off first semester of this past year and jumped up to top 20% and I just got an SA offer at a midsize firm yesterday (which I obviously took).

So to answer your question, try to get as high of a ranking as you can. If you want any more details ask away.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I missed out on getting a job at OCI and ended up with a job at a small firm. At my school, you generally needed to be in the top 20% to interview at OCI and top 10% for the top firms. My class rank is around 14%. Does it even matter for me anymore to try to work my ass off to get into the top 10%? Or does that not matter anymore? Even if I still want a job at a large or mid-size firm.

I mean get your GPA as high as you can but do know that the ship has largely sailed on those types of firms

see http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753

Return to “Legal Employment”