State AG's Office v. Local DAs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 am

1L summer internship, Westchester County DA's or State AGs.
Currently undecided on what to do after graduation.
What would be better overall?
Thank you in advance.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 6:50 am

I hear this a lot. Regardless I'm still concerned about giving any sort of advantage to my resume.
What would a firm employer like to see on a 2L's resume?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby anon168 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hear this a lot. Regardless I'm still concerned about giving any sort of advantage to my resume.
What would a firm employer like to see on a 2L's resume?


For pure resume jewelry, go with the state AG, esp. if you're talking about NYAG.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 7:09 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hear this a lot. Regardless I'm still concerned about giving any sort of advantage to my resume.
What would a firm employer like to see on a 2L's resume?


For pure resume jewelry, go with the state AG, esp. if you're talking about NYAG.


Thank you. But in the interest of disclosure it is not the NYAG. I dinged there.
Do you mind explaining why the AG's Office in general has more prestige than the County DA's?
Also, would this have changed if I had been accepted to let's say Bronx or Manhattan DA's (both of which I dinged at)?

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Thu May 16, 2013 7:14 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby anon168 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hear this a lot. Regardless I'm still concerned about giving any sort of advantage to my resume.
What would a firm employer like to see on a 2L's resume?


For pure resume jewelry, go with the state AG, esp. if you're talking about NYAG.


Thank you. But in the interest of disclosure it is not the NYAG. I dinged there.
Do you mind explaining why the AG's Office in general has more prestige than the County DA's?
Also, would this have changed if I had been accepted to let's say Bronx or Manhattan DA's (both of which I dinged at)?


Think name recognition. At a minimum, people know that the AG covers an entire state (even if it is, for example, on RI). A DA, by contrast, can be something significant like Manhattan or Brooklyn, or some nondescript place like Kaufman County.

For people who don't work or live in the NE (or NY), Westchester might as well be Winchester ... if you know what I mean.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I worked Westchester DA last summer. Go state AG.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Geist13 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hear this a lot. Regardless I'm still concerned about giving any sort of advantage to my resume.
What would a firm employer like to see on a 2L's resume?


That's just the point. They don't care. They just want to see good grades. The decision between those two jobs couldn't have less impact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 pm

I worked at both. I vastly preferred my summer working at the District Attorney's Office. It was way more hands-on and I got to make more oral arguments in court

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm

OP here, thank you for the posts. It's been helpful. For the Anon who said that he/she worked at the Westchester DA's. Why do you say no? As for the AG's office it's New Jersey. I am leaning toward Westchester DA's.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thank you for the posts. It's been helpful. For the Anon who said that he/she worked at the Westchester DA's. Why do you say no? As for the AG's office it's New Jersey. I am leaning toward Westchester DA's.


I go to one of the not-so-hot schools in New Jersey (that literally means any of the 3), and AG internships are given out like candy. Stick with Westchester.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State AG's Office v. Local DAs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thank you for the posts. It's been helpful. For the Anon who said that he/she worked at the Westchester DA's. Why do you say no? As for the AG's office it's New Jersey. I am leaning toward Westchester DA's.


I go to one of the not-so-hot schools in New Jersey (that literally means any of the 3), and AG internships are given out like candy. Stick with Westchester.


OP here- that's hilarious. Thanks for the information. Also, ajax adonis thank you for your posts.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.