Must decide by 4:30

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Must decide by 4:30

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I am in a bit of a bind.

I am a T20 grad currently clerking in my home and preferred state.

I have received an offer with the federal gov for a job that sounds awesome-it is not a lawyer position but definitely involves legal work-I could see myself being very happy with it. The people are nice, my security clearance is coming along, and the work seems interesting and I would be proud of the position.

Making the choice difficult is that I would have to leave my preferred state- and my husband behind to take the job. I am not sure I want to only see him on the weekends. He just got into an MBA program at the University he works for and will be able to attend at a large discount. Further, he has already had to move several times for my law school and career-so we both agree its best for him to stay put at least for two years or so.

I don't have any solid leads on jobs in my home market-my understanding is being barred here will make the difference.
I am barred in a neighboring state - but missed passing here by a few points the first time and have been waiting to retake the exam (its only offered once a year).

Adding to the issues: the gov wanted me to start right away and my judge didnt want me to leave my clerkship early, I was able to negotiate a different start date- but it is the same day as the bar exam here. So I can either not take the job, take the job and not take the bar, or ask them if I can start a few days later (which may be an issue)?
The deadline for bar applications is 430 today. So I have to make some decision quickly.

I have always thought I wanted to litigate-and work for a firm (big or small)- but this job seems like something I could be happy with especially compared to some jobs I have gotten interviews for her even without the bar. I know not taking the job means the risk of being unemployed or having to take something I dont want here for some unknown period of time.

Any thoughts or perspective appreciated.

marcfj

Re: Must decide by 4:30

Postby marcfj » Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

how far from H is your new job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm

marcfj wrote:how far from H is your new job?

OP here- New Job is about two hours from home and husband.

New job is in a location where we have lived before- and he would like to live again.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Long distance is tough, being unemployed is also tough. Only you know which will be tougher for you. You're in a tough spot and I feel for you! I wish you the best.

EDIT: Two Hours away?!?! Take the job! Being from LA, I've had job commutes longer than two hours lol. Save up for a Honda Civic if you don't have a fuel efficient car already. Either way, take the job!

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Even if you take the job, I would absolutely still take the bar exam if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Even if you take the job, I would absolutely still take the bar exam if possible.

Op Here: Thanks. I feel that way as well. It costs 1400 to register and I am not sure if I could get an answer back from HR (who has to communicate with the dept. manager) in time to know what gov thinks of that before I file.

Getting permission could be tricky because they only set certain start dates to correspond with new pay periods-however insiders tell me I could use unpaid leave or go in the hole on vaca time- and tell them I'll start three days late.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

take the job

edit: 2 hours isn't that far away. perhaps once he finishes you can both move half way, and each have an hour commute to work ( assuming he stays at the university)

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 15, 2013 3:01 pm

This is extremely difficult.

Do what feels right to you, IMO. I don't know how financially stable you will be if you didn't take the job--most people I knew with SOs were fine if they had to be unemployed for short periods of time because the other had a job, but your husband is going to an MBA program, sooo...

Personally, I would go anywhere right now and I don't think 2 hours is that bad. So I would take the job. But I am 100% confident that I would feel differently if I were actually in a committed relationship.

If you do take the job, try to take the bar exam too, definitely. If it's not possible, then take the job over taking the bar exam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 3:13 pm

lolwat wrote:This is extremely difficult.

Do what feels right to you, IMO. I don't know how financially stable you will be if you didn't take the job--most people I knew with SOs were fine if they had to be unemployed for short periods of time because the other had a job, but your husband is going to an MBA program, sooo...

Personally, I would go anywhere right now and I don't think 2 hours is that bad. So I would take the job. But I am 100% confident that I would feel differently if I were actually in a committed relationship.

If you do take the job, try to take the bar exam too, definitely. If it's not possible, then take the job over taking the bar exam.

Financially its a difficult decision-The gov job starts at about 50K
The issue is affording two places to live with all the associated expenses. We would have help from in laws...But in some sense, it would be cheaper for me to stay here, unemployed, for a little while. Than to pay for a place there too.

This decision would be much easier if the gov job sounded awful-but it sounds cool and if it was here in my home market I would definitely take it.

As far as the bar, I could register and explain to the government tomorrow about the bar exam. I am afraid that they might be concerned about my commitment to the job if I am taking an out of state bar. I feel prepared now, and confident. But it could be an option to take the job and wait a year and take next july if Iwant to come back

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah paying for two places at $50k salary is not all that great. If you're really hardcore you can just commute from where you are now. 2 hours there and back. You'd be exhausted as hell probably, but if the work hours are reasonable like most gov jobs are, the +4 hours on top of work probably wouldn't be any different from your hours away if you worked at biglaw. Plus you won't have to actually leave anything behind and you'll get to see your husband every day for a couple hours + the weekends.

I wouldn't want to give any advice that ends up being bad. But taking the job seems overall the safer choice, assuming your relationship wouldn't be affected in a bad way by it.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Last edited by Myself on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm

OP Here: No kids
And I definitely agree, starting salary is 50k but this position alone has the potential to go up to 115k as I move up the levels.

So assuming I definitely do the job...what about my local bar exam offered only once yearly?

Should I risk 1400 registering before 4:30 to see if they will let me start late? Or wait till the next year?
I don't want them to think I am not committed to the job, or staying...but it would be nice to get this out of the way.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd take the job and wait another year.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed May 15, 2013 4:16 pm

5th year attorney here...

Law is not always a great way to make a living + you may fail the bar again + job market sucks + the bar will be there next year + 2 hours is commutable, not east but commutable = Take the job!!

guano

Postby guano » Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Take the job, live somewhere in the middle. If your husband can take public transportation, that's great study time. An MBA is piss easy, and that should be all he needs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Well has 4:30 has passed, it is now official

I did not register for the bar exam- so fully committed to the job at least for now.

After literally driving myself crazy about this for days, I at least feel slightly relieved.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed May 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well has 4:30 has passed, it is now official

I did not register for the bar exam- so fully committed to the job at least for now.

After literally driving myself crazy about this for days, I at least feel slightly relieved.

Smart decision. Congratulations on the new job!

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I think that was the right call. Good luck.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Last edited by Myself on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! It was actually extremely helpful in reaching my decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”