Cold Feet, Looking for 0L advice.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cold Feet, Looking for 0L advice.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Deleted: Apparently no forum for 0L to Market-place questions on this forum. Oh well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Re: Cold Feet, Looking for 0L advice.

Postby jd20132013 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 pm

One important part of being a lawyer is reading.

Such as posts like this

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 pm

jd20132013 wrote:One important part of being a lawyer is reading.

Such as posts like this

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

In before the lock!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Damn, before lock, can someone direct me where this is suppose to go? Says "Ask a law student" but students aren't who I want to ask, and law school is not necessarily what I'm looking for information on. Doesn't seem like this forum has a section that OL's can talk to Law Grads about the legal market? That forum also lacks an anonymous function, and I'm not comfortable putting a public identity next to personal information. Guess better just try to find a more welcoming forum for general questions :? .

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 14, 2013 9:26 pm

The "Ask a Law Student" forum you refer to is actually called "Ask a Law Student/Graduate."

Also, I think a lot of students actually could help you.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Also- what you've written about yourself hardlyakes you so easy to identify.

Fudge the numbers and locations a bit.

Is your question about where you can get a job? Or retaking? What exactly is the question? Ask that in the right forum and you will get answers

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Before the ZOMG 0Ls in the LE forum - why anon?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Don't worry about people being terse, that's just the way internet forums are, especially legal forums. Also don't worry about the lock, I have a feeling a mod would be happy to move this thread to the Ask a Law Student/Graduate subforum. Anyway, I will give you my advice.

I believe that a major reason that many lawyers are unhappy is because they go to law school without a clear understanding of what the practice of law entails. They then find out that they dislike what it entails.

The first thing you should know is that the practice of law is characterized by an intense detail orientation. Lawyering involves reasoning at level of specificity that many would describe as "splitting hairs." If the idea of writing a twenty page brief arguing the meaning of the word "defalcation" sounds hellish to you, you might want to reconsider law school. Take a look at this opinion that came down from the Supreme Court today: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 8_97be.pdf.

Further, law is a field that primarily involves technical reading and writing. You have to be willing to read, and hopefully even somewhat enjoy reading, lengthy technical documents. This is the stuff of court opinions, statutes and regulations, briefs, and secondary sources. These are often poorly written, unclear, way too detailed, and overlong. But you have to read and understand them anyway. You also have to learn to write, and hopefully even enjoy writing, in this mode.

Finally, you should recognize that good legal employment is overwhelming business related. Big law firms, of course, make up a large part of this, as do smaller firms. But it's not just big law firms that work in the business space. Much of government work is also business focused, as a major purpose of government is to regulate businesses. Consider, for example, the kind of work that lawyers at DOJ Antitrust, SEC, CFTC, and OCC do.

Not all good law jobs, of course, are business related. There is criminal law and public interest law, although even these fields are often business oriented. But gainful employment in these practice areas is harder to come by than you might think.

Feel free to ask further questions, and good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”