Changing LinkedIn status to "Associate"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing LinkedIn status to "Associate"

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering when it is generally acceptable to change my linkedin status from intern to associate? Should I wait until after I actually pass the bar? I'm just considering changing it a little early because I've already been hired by the firm as an associate. Thanks

Sup Kid

Re: Changing LinkedIn status to "Associate"

Postby Sup Kid » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering when it is generally acceptable to change my linkedin status from intern to associate? Should I wait until after I actually pass the bar? I'm just considering changing it a little early because I've already been hired by the firm as an associate. Thanks

You wait until after you are admitted to practice law (not just passing the bar, unless in the state you take it you are automatically admitted after passage). That is why first year associates use the term "Law Clerk" or something similar until they get admitted -- "Associate" has a connotation of being a lawyer, which you are not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering when it is generally acceptable to change my linkedin status from intern to associate? Should I wait until after I actually pass the bar? I'm just considering changing it a little early because I've already been hired by the firm as an associate. Thanks

You wait until after you are admitted to practice law (not just passing the bar, unless in the state you take it you are automatically admitted after passage). That is why first year associates use the term "Law Clerk" or something similar until they get admitted -- "Associate" has a connotation of being a lawyer, which you are not.

Thanks! I saw a friend change their status on LinkedIn. I should advise them.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 pm

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and firm to firm, but some are adamant about not having people hold themselves out as associates until they're sworn in.

Return to “Legal Employment”