SA + Summer School?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
janefbk

SA + Summer School?

Postby janefbk » Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello! I posted this in the 'law students' forum but maybe it is more appropriate here..

Hopefully someone here can give me advice. I need to take summer units in order to graduate in the spring (I was a PT transfer to FT). I was only going to take a Saturday class but I would like to take another class during the week so that my 3L year won't be so rough. I start my SA position this Monday and summer classes start on the 28th. Has anyone ever taken any summer classes during their SA position? Is this even doable? Did you have issues commuting/getting to class on time? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: SA + Summer School?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

janefbk wrote:Hello! I posted this in the 'law students' forum but maybe it is more appropriate here..

Hopefully someone here can give me advice. I need to take summer units in order to graduate in the spring (I was a PT transfer to FT). I was only going to take a Saturday class but I would like to take another class during the week so that my 3L year won't be so rough. I start my SA position this Monday and summer classes start on the 28th. Has anyone ever taken any summer classes during their SA position? Is this even doable? Did you have issues commuting/getting to class on time? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I would recommend against doing that. Your goal from your 2L summer SA is to get an offer. It's not worth jeopardizing that, even a small amount, to avoid having to take a lot of credits as a 3L. The Saturday class may be less of a problem, since it's less likely you'll miss events, though social events do happen on the weekend. The weekday class just seems like a terrible idea in my opinion. Even if your firm historically gives out 100% offer rates, I don't think it's worth it. Law school is about getting a job and you are heading in that direction this summer. What happens 3L year is much less important.

(If you are working somewhere where they don't give out fulltime offers at the end of the summer, this advice is obviously less applicable.)
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Thu May 16, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Re: SA + Summer School?

Postby bdubs » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 pm

janefbk wrote:Hello! I posted this in the 'law students' forum but maybe it is more appropriate here..

I did it and it wasn't a problem, but my classes were from 6:30-9:30 at night. Though my SA was pretty informal and at a boutique too. My commute was only ~20 minutes, so I left around 6 PM.

Doing it during the day is probably not advisable. Check against your firm's calendar to see how many events conflict with your classes if they're at night or on the weekends. I mixed missing class with missing events and was able to only miss one event and one class.

Return to “Legal Employment”