Need A Little Help Here

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I have a good friend who was very excited about starting her 2L SA today. She just called and said her SA firm made it a point of saying that the SAs were there just for the summer (I believe there are roughly half dozen SAs). Clearly she is alarmed (to say the least). Who wants to be an SA with little to no chance of an offer? I remember her telling me that when the firm offered her the SA they said that they’ll own her for the next ten years. I guess she bought into that... worse yet she had others offers.

I’ll be with her tonight. I am not sure what I can say or do to help. Any ideas?

lukertin
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby lukertin » Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm

lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.

You make a pretty crappy friend.

That is part of most SAs... a shot at being offered. The reason people actually go to LS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 4:53 pm

What region is the firm based out of?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm

I did an SA knowing that the firm didn't hire out of its summer program. But the thing is, I knew that going in - because the firm was very clear about it when they interviewed me - and was fine with that for a variety of reasons.

It is crappy for a firm to say one thing about the potential for future hiring and then turn around and say something else. However, is she sure that's what they meant by "just for the summer"? Was it possible they meant they don't let people work during the school year (until after graduation, of course)? I'm grasping at straws a bit, but she should probably just talk to whoever did the hiring and ask if they can clarify.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What region is the firm based out of?

She is in a major Satellite market in the NE. She could have landed in NYC, but didn't want to move to NYC for an SA (nor did she want to go to LS in NYC). She is only and hour and half away, so I will be seeing her tonight or tomorrow. Wish I could advise her what to do. Probably too late to contact a firm that previously made her an offer (is my guess). Life can be such a . . . .

enigmabk
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby enigmabk » Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm

lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.



Wow

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I did an SA knowing that the firm didn't hire out of its summer program. But the thing is, I knew that going in - because the firm was very clear about it when they interviewed me - and was fine with that for a variety of reasons.

It is crappy for a firm to say one thing about the potential for future hiring and then turn around and say something else. However, is she sure that's what they meant by "just for the summer"? Was it possible they meant they don't let people work during the school year (until after graduation, of course)? I'm grasping at straws a bit, but she should probably just talk to whoever did the hiring and ask if they can clarify.

Will give that some thought. Thanks.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby OutCold » Mon May 13, 2013 5:51 pm

In all fairness, unless this is a departure from past behavior, she should have done her homework on firm before accepting, especially if she had NYC options. That being said, she should make the best of it and network her ass off. Good work this summer might land her someone willing to make a call or two for her. You play the cards you are dealt--what other choice do you have?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 pm

OutCold wrote:In all fairness, unless this is a departure from past behavior, she should have done her homework on firm before accepting, especially if she had NYC options. That being said, she should make the best of it and network her ass off. Good work this summer might land her someone willing to make a call or two for her. You play the cards you are dealt--what other choice do you have?

If I recall it right, the offers came in late as they did for several cohorts (all undergoing anxiety issues). But I believe the firm checked out OK. If I had to have the conversation right now I would asked about approaching the firm that told her if things didn’t work out to get back in touch. Just not sure if the timing is right to do that this week, or if the timing is perfect to do it this week. Not that they would tell her to speed on over, but it might be helpful to swing the door wide open for OCI. She’ll likely say that the door doesn’t swing open for rising 3Ls. It’s a conundrum for sure.

Another
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

.

Postby Another » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

.
Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm

lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.


Why so aspie?

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.


Why so aspie?

I think the habitual haters on TLS are simply angry about all the fails in their life and the keyboard is their cry for help. And for whatever reason they move from thread to thread because. . .actually at this point I think we need a physiologist to intervene and finish this sentence.

enigmabk
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby enigmabk » Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.


Why so aspie?



Cuz TLS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 pm

I was at a firm who went on and on about "We wanna expand", "We hire everyone", "You'll be here for years", etc. only to no offer all 3 SAs because of budget reasons. The lesson is you always need to think for yourself. At this point your friend is screwed for this summer given that ti is too late to reneg and go back to the old firms, but I highly suggest she start mailing out 3L apps as soon as August 1st hits.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a good friend who was very excited about starting her 2L SA today. She just called and said her SA firm made it a point of saying that the SAs were there just for the summer (I believe there are roughly half dozen SAs). Clearly she is alarmed (to say the least). Who wants to be an SA with little to no chance of an offer? I remember her telling me that when the firm offered her the SA they said that they’ll own her for the next ten years. I guess she bought into that... worse yet she had others offers.

I’ll be with her tonight. I am not sure what I can say or do to help. Any ideas?


Did they say they weren't being considered for an offer, or did they say that the current job is not guaranteeing to turn into an offer?

Your friend might be misintrepeting here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a good friend who was very excited about starting her 2L SA today. She just called and said her SA firm made it a point of saying that the SAs were there just for the summer. . .

Did they say they weren't being considered for an offer, or did they say that the current job is not guaranteeing to turn into an offer?

Your friend might be misintrepeting here.
You might be right about that misinterpreting. Spoke with her tonight and what they may have said, they will be here just for the summer. That word JUST is the trigger. I said that it didn't matter what the firm, hearing they'll be here for the summer, is what every firm says.

Wouldn’t it be over-the-top weird for a firm to spring that on new SAs.?? Who would do that... unless it was understood upfront (as per an earlier post)? If I get a drama update tomorrow, will post.

User avatar
2LsAPlenty
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 am

I would not hit the panic button so quick. First, if she does a real good job, you might be surprised that the firm while try to make room of her. Second, even if it is true, there is good resume value and she will make contacts that could help in finding a full time job or providing a good rec letter.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 am

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Renne Walker » Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

rad lulz wrote:Sliper the sausage

Do you like live here at TLS? Your posts are never funny or informative. Only that there are a lot of them. DWMT.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

lukertin wrote:Oh look, someone feels entitled to a full time job because they landed a summer internship.

This has to be a joke, right? You take an SA for the purpose of getting a full-time job. If a firm tells you they intend to hire you when they actually don't, then uhh... yeah, I'd say you have a pretty damn good reason to be upset, and it isn't "entitled" to feel that way.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Old Gregg » Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Maybe you have a claim under Section 90? I'm pretty sure many people have seriously succeeded suing the firm under the theory of promissory estoppel.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby Old Gregg » Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm

But seriously, sounds like your friend is overreacting to something said very casually.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 14, 2013 3:26 pm

My 1L SA said similar shit. But seriously, context is needed.

Who did they say this to? To other attorneys? To staff? Or to the SAs? If they explicitly told the SAs that you are only here for the summer than it means that they may be warning that they don't give out offers to everyone. If they said it to the staff or to other attorneys, they are probably just saying you guys are the summer clerks.

My 1L SA firm said similar stuff, but they ended up giving out offers to the 1Ls to come back and to the 2Ls for employment.

YMMV.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Need A Little Help Here

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:But seriously, sounds like your friend is overreacting to something said very casually.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.