Legal-sector jobs reach a four-year high

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renne Walker

Legal-sector jobs reach a four-year high

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am

Glad to receive this happy piece of email this morning, especially since SA starts next week (I know for some SA started today). As someone noted, maybe the skies are about to clear!

Jobs in the legal sector are at their highest level in four years, after two months of gains.

The legal sector added 2,100 jobs in April and 3,500 jobs in March, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The March figures are revised upwards from an initial report showing a gain of 2,000 jobs that month. The Am Law Daily has the latest numbers.

The total number of legal services jobs now stands at 1.13 million, up by 10,000 from April 2012. At its pre-recession high in May 2007, the legal sector had 1.18 million jobs.

stuckinthemiddle

Re: Legal-sector jobs reach a four-year high

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Mon May 13, 2013 10:06 am

Skeptical.

But tagging. :)

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah, but what type of legal sector jobs are gaining? I keep looking at job openings and they all seem to be for legal secretaries and paralegals.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am

legalese_retard wrote:Yeah, but what type of legal sector jobs are gaining? I keep looking at job openings and they all seem to be for legal secretaries and paralegals.

There are a good number of "attorney wanted" openings. There are several online places to look. . . a couple are:

InhouseBlog.com:
GoInhouse.com

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

Renne Walker wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Yeah, but what type of legal sector jobs are gaining? I keep looking at job openings and they all seem to be for legal secretaries and paralegals.

There are a good number of "attorney wanted" openings. There are several online places to look. . . a couple are:

InhouseBlog.com:
GoInhouse.com

inhouse attorneys are hired at the expense of firm jobs.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am

Stick to copy and pasting Nielsen ratings

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Poasting in a Renne walker thread

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

lukertin wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:

InhouseBlog.com:
GoInhouse.com

There is a silver lining... if someone from a firm takes an in-house job, it creates an opening at the firm. . :)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
lukertin wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:

InhouseBlog.com:
GoInhouse.com

There is a silver lining... if someone from a firm takes an in-house job, it creates an opening at the firm. . :)

No, not necessarily. Remember biglaw attrition?

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Renne Walker wrote:There is a silver lining... if someone from a firm takes an in-house job, it creates an opening at the firm. . :)

Not really. Companies look to cut costs by A) hiring cheaper out-of-house counsel, and B) hiring firm lawyers who have the expertise to handle more complex matters, so they can pay him 1/3rd what it would cost to outsource the job. A couple weeks ago I ran into someone who went in-house right out of law school, she told me that over the past 5 years her company tripled the size of their in-house counsel and cut down legal outsourcing to firms by like 75%. Create 1 job and kill 2 jobs.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

lukertin wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:There is a silver lining... if someone from a firm takes an in-house job, it creates an opening at the firm. . :)

Not really. Companies look to cut costs by A) hiring cheaper out-of-house counsel, and B) hiring firm lawyers who have the expertise to handle more complex matters, so they can pay him 1/3rd what it would cost to outsource the job. A couple weeks ago I ran into someone who went in-house right out of law school, she told me that over the past 5 years her company tripled the size of their in-house counsel and cut down legal outsourcing to firms by like 75%. Create 1 job and kill 2 jobs.

While I cannot disagree with your point, seems like things are picking up — from I hear firms added more SAs this go-around. I won’t know until next week after seeing if the workload has increased or not.

Return to “Legal Employment”