2L Grades.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Grades.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 pm

My first semester 1L grades were basically Bs with one B+. Second semester was sprinkled with a couple A-, couple B+ and a B. Overall I was optimistically gray line median - no V-100 offers, but good enough to land me $2.5K (weekly) for my upcoming SA.

During 2L I had a B, B+, A- and the rest As. My guess (totally subjective) is that my 2L grades might afford me a second look from the V-100 or better. I certainly feel that if these 2L grades had occurred during 1L I would be looking forward to a high-rise view of central park during this SA.

That’s the background (plus I attend a T-10). My question is, should I partake in OCI? What are the odds that BL firms might be swayed with my 2L grades improvement to the extent that they might extend serious consideration, or are 2L grades just meh (as often stated on TLS)?

Also, is anyone in this similar situation? If so, what is your thinking? And has anyone been in the situation, if so, what was the outcome? Many thanks.

rad lulz

Re: 2L Grades.

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 4:45 pm

I don't see what the problem is. It takes minimal effort to participate in 3L OCI. Just do it and see if you get an offer you like better. That is, assuming you get an offer from this summer

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu May 09, 2013 4:46 pm

What does it hurt to do OCI for 3L anyways? There's really nothing to lose, right? Except maybe a few extra days back home or just hanging out. If you really want a presftigush Vault firm, then go ahead and do OCI. You will probably be under the 28-day NALP deadline to accept your offer from the firm when the summer ends (assuming you get one). That gives you enough time to interview with other firms during 3L OCI.

The only risk you run, I think, is choosing a brand new firm after a summer with one you like. If you like the firm this summer, then get an offer from another during 3L OCI, it seems like a risk to take it without having spent a summer there (especially considering you hypothetically like the 2L firm).

I've heard that some firms would require you to spend some of post-3L summer with them as well, so that might make bar prep more challenging.

But regardless, I don't think any of those concerns should stand in the way of trying 3L OCI and seeing what is out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm

OP: I agree with both posters about checking into OCI.

What is the real deal on 2L grades? I know (anecdotally) that 2L grades do not carry nearly the same weight as 1L grades (IMO: probably because of the curve).

So what is the significance of 2L grades? There has been a number of (TLS) opinions that lead me to believe 2L grades are somewhat meaningless. I am hopeful that these opinions are faulty.... what do you believe?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 09, 2013 5:23 pm

2L grades are generally important if you want to clerk. (Granted, given the changes in/collapse of the hiring plan, more and more 2Ls are getting hired before the year is out, but the first semester is still generally relevant.) And I'd imagine if you do interview during 3LOCI they'll look at your grades. Certainly it helped me that my grades went up after 1L, but YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: Certainly it helped me that my grades went up after 1L, but YMMV.

OP: Sorry, I misplaced my YMMV secret decoder gizmo. :)

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Problem is.. pretty much only a few of the V-10ish firms are hiring 3Ls at all these days and almost no firms below that range do 3L OCI. I haven't heard of too many "trading up" stories from 3L OCI.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: Certainly it helped me that my grades went up after 1L, but YMMV.

OP: Sorry, I misplaced my YMMV secret decoder gizmo. :)

Sorry! Your Mileage May Vary. :D

(and yeah, what the person above says about the lack of 3LOCI seems sadly true. The only - very few - firms that interviewed 3Ls at my school were hardcore IP.)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 pm

OP you should probably focus on getting an offer from this summer first. Register for 3LOLCI when it comes up and quit worrying ab it now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 6:38 pm

OP: Again, I want to thank everyone for your assistance. As I understand it, even with my new improved grades, this upcoming OCI will be challenging (certainly not cake).

As far as the 28 day waiting period, my SA firm probably doesn’t abide by those guidelines (I had 7 days to accept or decline their SA offer). Sadly enough three days after I accepted I received a BL offer from a firm with offices in a number of desirable cities (some with a substantially lower COL). As a side question, has anyone here ever circled back to a firm that made an earlier offer, if so, how did that work out? Need to note that I did not reject the BL firm, it was purely a timing problem and I decided not to renege on my SA firm (how smart/dumb was that??).

So I take it that a successful OCI for a 2L is iffy at best, but still worth the shot. To end this diatribe, let me ask, is it likely that an offer will be tendered (or else they will hand me my hat) before OCI begins. Timing wise, is that how it works?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”