What is first year in-house corporate counsel salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is first year in-house corporate counsel salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm

What is the appropriate salary for an entry-level in-house corporate associate? This is for a major corporation. They have a small legal team. I come from one of the top couple schools, and have had previous biglaw summer experience. My responsibilities will be substantial (e.g., working second chair with big firms on M&A deals, working big-law type hours). I've seen things fluctuate a bunch from company to company.

What should I be paid? I may have some room to negotiate and want to base my figure on something.

desertlaw

Re: What is first year in-house corporate counsel salary?

Postby desertlaw » Thu May 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the appropriate salary for an entry-level in-house corporate associate? This is for a major corporation. They have a small legal team. I come from one of the top couple schools, and have had previous biglaw summer experience. My responsibilities will be substantial (e.g., working second chair with big firms on M&A deals, working big-law type hours). I've seen things fluctuate a bunch from company to company.

What should I be paid? I may have some room to negotiate and want to base my figure on something.

Might depend on the city/market you are in. I'm guessing something like $120-$160k + bonus. Hard to know because most figures I've seen (as a 3L, granted) are for in-house positions with 3-7 years of experience.

But you probably want them to throw out the first number. If they really want you and they know you chose them over BigLaw, $160k seems reasonable if that's what Biglaw market is, especially if you're actually doing big-law hours. If it was better work/life hours, I'd say $135-150, but why not ask for market+bonus if you're going to be working hours like that anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 pm

A quick googling reveals this resource, though I have no idea of its accuracy: http://www.roberthalflegal.com/SalaryCenter.

If you look at page 12 it suggests a range of $65k - $100k for first year in-house counsel. Given you are going to a major corporation I would guess you should land in the top half of that. So, anywhere from $80-$90k sounds reasonable. I believe that number is total compensation, not base salary, so be sure to inclue any bonuses/equity/etc. when evaluating the offer.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm

As a practicing in-house attorney, I don't care if you have big law summer experience, etc or that you will be working biglaw hours. In-house salaries are going to be judged on the corporate scale and not a law firm scale, especially if the legal department is small. For big corporations you can expect a 75-100k range. Maybe stock options if a public company. If there are stock options you should focus the negotiations on those options. That is where you will make your money.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu May 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I was so wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Most I've seen for entry-level corporate counsel are around $80-90k with stock options/benefits. I do have a friend set to make around $115k though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

I started last year straight out of law school in-house for a fairly large corporation and make $60k. Not in a major city though so COL isn't high. I'm pretty sure there's no way you're going to approach big-law first year associate salary. Even coming in-house after 3-5 years you would be lucky to bring in more than 150k due to the better work-life balance. I would expect 70-100k depending on the location and size of company. Also, I obviously don't know about all in-house counsels but I have yet to meet corporate counsel that regularly works big-law hours. Not sure if they told you to expect those hours or you're just thinking your hours will be that crazy. The norm as I've observed it is 45-55 hr weeks.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:A quick googling reveals this resource, though I have no idea of its accuracy: http://www.roberthalflegal.com/SalaryCenter.

If you look at page 12 it suggests a range of $65k - $100k for first year in-house counsel. Given you are going to a major corporation I would guess you should land in the top half of that. So, anywhere from $80-$90k sounds reasonable. I believe that number is total compensation, not base salary, so be sure to inclue any bonuses/equity/etc. when evaluating the offer.

65k - 100k sounds about right but much more towards 65k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am

Working as a summer associate in-house for a very large financial corporation. Pay is based on $90k annual salary. They didn't specifically say that this is the first-year starting salary, but I assume the first year starting salary would be close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 9:41 am

FWIW I graduated in 2012 and started in-house at a large software company, primarily supporting technology transactions. My base salary is around $70k and I am eligible for a performance-based bonus. That seems to be consistent with what other people are reporting.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:49 pm

How are the bonuses compared to big law?

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

shock259 wrote:How are the bonuses compared to big law?

Wow... This is all much lower than I thought. I would hate to get a JD and the work 4 years and go back to making about 70k which is close to what I made pre law school.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

BigLawer wrote:
shock259 wrote:How are the bonuses compared to big law?

Wow... This is all much lower than I thought. I would hate to get a JD and the work 4 years and go back to making about 70k which is close to what I made pre law school.....

I'm the anon above who makes $60k. I think you need to understand a few things: 1) we're talking about starting in-house straight out of law school (which is fairly uncommon). If you work in biglaw for several years and transition in-house you'll almost certainly make 100k+; 2) The work-life balance/overall mindset between starting out biglaw and starting out in-house are astronomical. I work 45-50 hours a week, am never stressed out or paranoid about losing my job, don't have to worry about outperforming co-workers, and have done meaningful, interesting work right off the bat. Sure, I wish the salary was higher, but I'm glad with my decision. It definitely differs depending on the person, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”