Researching Haynes & Boone

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Researching Haynes & Boone

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

I'm splitting my summer with HayBoo and another firm. Doing some research on HayBoo (Google News, AboveTheLaw, Vault, Martindale, etc.), it seems as though there have been quite a few people departing from the firm to go elsewhere. Is this a bad sign, or is this just frequently reported news for all firms?

Anonymous User

Re: Researching Haynes & Boone

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 am

I am interested in HayBoo and would also like to know this. It looks like the partners who left for national firms were doing it for more money. However, it is tough to tell whether their leaving is solely a result of financial inducements or whether it is a sign of something more. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Researching Haynes & Boone

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm going to be at HayBoo too this summer, so I try and follow the firm's news pretty closely. One thing is that, as far as I know, the firm is pretty lockstep with its partners. That of course leads to some of them jumping ship for more cash when a rival firm wants laterals. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like the firm is losing lawyers at any higher rate than comparable firms. Usually when an attorney laterals out from HayBoo, he or she is making the jump along with attorneys from other Texas firms to their new home. Also, HayBoo has been picking up new attorneys for pretty much everyone that leaves. It seems like their focus is on growing their NY office, which has expanded a lot over the past few years.

If you look at the associate/partner turnover numbers reported every year, they actually have a relatively low percentage leave. It is significantly lower than many other TX firms, e.g., V&E. Also, it seems like the recent departures are largely from the Houston office, and with new biglaw firms moving to Houston almost daily, it doesn't seem unusual that some would peel away. The firm is a powerhouse in Dallas; extremely well known and respected. It's also well known for its office culture (which is what drew me in over other firms). And unlike many other bigger TX firms, their revenue and profit numbers were up for the last year (though I realize these can be gamed to look good).

All this being said, I'd also love to hear if anyone has more insight. My info is mostly based off following news stories and somewhat talking to attorneys not at HayBoo.

Return to “Legal Employment”