What is a 1L summer internship with city government like?nyc Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is a 1L summer internship with city government like?nyc

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm

So I've worked at city hall/ nyc city agencies during my gap year and it was great. Really chilled out, great people. I've secured a 1L internship at a nyc city agency(different one). I know each agency/firm/in house is different, but I wonder how much more "intense" my work this summer will be now that I am officially a legal intern. I was technically a legal intern before law school, but because I wasn't a law student yet I wasn't "allowed" near certain kinds of work.
I'm terrified of screwing up a memo or doing a bad job. I hated LRW and didn't actively try to learn what I should have this year...meaning that a big problem of mine is I don't write "great" but I want to do well enough at this internship to walk away with a good writing sample, not to mention connections and a possible job sometime later.

thegrayman

Silver

Re: What is a 1L summer internship with city government like?nyc

Post by thegrayman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am

I worked at a NY state agency 1L summer. It was pretty relaxed, I only wrote 2 memos, but had same concerns as you going in. Overall I thought the workload was very easy to manage while still going home at 5:00-5:30 every day. The average day, I could easily go at my own pace and still get everything done.

I found this guide to be pretty useful when writing memos.
http://law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanf ... tegood.pdf

Have a good summer!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”