1L SA "What Am I Doing Here" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA "What Am I Doing Here"

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am

It is at least somewhat comforting to see I am not the only one who feels this way. We only did 2 memos the whole year, 1 each semester and we were spoon fed the research. I read several books on legal writing so I feel ok there, even with limited experience. But I am lost in regards to legal research. Library research really scares me. The firm I am with this summer has their own legal library and from what I understand we are to go there before we try Westlaw or Lexis. In addition, there will be SA's from 3 different law schools at the firm, kind of concerned they will be further along in their reseach skills. Going to spend an afternoon later this week with a librarian at our law school. Good luck to everyone this summer.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is at least somewhat comforting to see I am not the only one who feels this way. We only did 2 memos the whole year, 1 each semester and we were spoon fed the research. I read several books on legal writing so I feel ok there, even with limited experience. But I am lost in regards to legal research. Library research really scares me. The firm I am with this summer has their own legal library and from what I understand we are to go there before we try Westlaw or Lexis. In addition, there will be SA's from 3 different law schools at the firm, kind of concerned they will be further along in their reseach skills. Going to spend an afternoon later this week with a librarian at our law school. Good luck to everyone this summer.
One word of advice: Utilize your firm's librarian. They exist for a reason and get paid for a reason.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm

TTRansfer wrote:One word of advice: Utilize your firm's librarian. They exist for a reason and get paid for a reason.

This times a thousand. I spent a ton of time in the library during legal writing, probably more than necessary for the assignments, but I don't regret it. At first, I puttered around randomly, trying to figure it out until I had spun myself into a spiral, then I'd go ask the librarian for help. They'd always set me straight.

Don't be shy, librarians are awesome.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:One word of advice: Utilize your firm's librarian. They exist for a reason and get paid for a reason.

This times a thousand. I spent a ton of time in the library during legal writing, probably more than necessary for the assignments, but I don't regret it. At first, I puttered around randomly, trying to figure it out until I had spun myself into a spiral, then I'd go ask the librarian for help. They'd always set me straight.

Don't be shy, librarians are awesome.
Shit, my firm's librarian was in another office. So I just called and emailed her. She was awesome. Super helpful. Even if you can't see them they can still be amazingly helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”