Clinic vs Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clinic vs Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Just curious what people's thoughts are regarding which looks better on the resume.

For example: I was accepted into a clinic at my school within the area of practice I am interested but I could also get an internship at a gov't agency in that area as well (ASIDE: my school doesn't allow externships)---are employers more impressed with one over the other? This will be for 3L at T10 (for what it's worth).

Does anyone have experience with a choice similar to this and whether it mattered at all for interviews, job offers, work experience, etc.

LawIdiot86

Re: Clinic vs Internship

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious what people's thoughts are regarding which looks better on the resume.

For example: I was accepted into a clinic at my school within the area of practice I am interested but I could also get an internship at a gov't agency in that area as well (ASIDE: my school doesn't allow externships)---are employers more impressed with one over the other? This will be for 3L at T10 (for what it's worth).

Does anyone have experience with a choice similar to this and whether it mattered at all for interviews, job offers, work experience, etc.

It depends. State agencies aren't impressive for big firms, but are impressive if you're trying to get a job in gov't. I'd do the clinic if you are going to a firm and the agency otherwise.

Anonymous User

Re: Clinic vs Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 pm

If you are an unemployed 3L (or presumably a 2L without a job that will lead to an offer this summer), you are going to need the extra time to apply to hundreds of jobs. Take the clinic so that you can take fewer other course credits to give yourself that time.

Return to “Legal Employment”