Research Assistant Jobs (not your own school)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A shot in the dark

Research Assistant Jobs (not your own school)

Postby A shot in the dark » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 am

I am a rising 3L who goes to law school in the midwest, but this summer I'll be working at a government job in NYC. I won't be making a lot of money and I am hoping to supplement my income/build my resume at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice/experience obtaining research assistant positions away from your own school? I am thinking of just emailing NYC law professors whose interests/experience line up with my own. If someone knows of a website or has a better plan of attack, please throw it out there.

Agent

Re: Research Assistant Jobs (not your own school)

Postby Agent » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am

Maybe work for a prof at your own school. Easy to do via email.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Research Assistant Jobs (not your own school)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 am

The one thing I'd say about going outside your school is that, at least at my school, the funding for RAs was generally work-study funds, and I'm not sure how easy it is to administer those across schools. I mean, it might be no problem, or you might find a prof who has an independent grant, but it's something to keep in mind.

Return to “Legal Employment”