Grades once you have a summer associate postion

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades once you have a summer associate postion

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 am

Just wondering what the general consensus is in Big Law in regard to grades. If your grades the spring before your summer drop is there anything to be worried about? If it doesn't matter in general, how substantial a drop would be cause for alarm? Could somoene who generally gets B's, some A's, get a bunch of C's in spring term and still be ok provided overall GPA doesn't drop too much?

Re: Grades once you have a summer associate postion

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 am

No big deal really. Just don't drop more than .05 gpa points.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 am

It's essentially a game of chicken between you and your neuroticism.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Bronte wrote:It's essentially a game of chicken between you and your neuroticism.

^this.

I know I'm a self-absorbed broken record on this point, but I found an elegant solution to this problem: I never checked any of my grades from 2L or 3L year.

I graduated a year ago and still have no idea how I did in any of my classes after 1L.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No big deal really. Just don't drop more than .05 gpa points.

FUUUUUUUUCK....

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Bronte wrote:It's essentially a game of chicken between you and your neuroticism.

^this.

I know I'm a self-absorbed broken record on this point, but I found an elegant solution to this problem: I never checked any of my grades from 2L or 3L year.

I graduated a year ago and still have no idea how I did in any of my classes after 1L.

really?

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 pm

OP, in my 2L year my scouring of TLS on this question produced this: in the absence of more direct information (i.e. if someone tells you the offer is contingent on keeping your grades up) what you ought to assume is that

1. Most firms will shoot for 100% offers, and will ignore non-huge grade drops to hit that
2. Some firms do not mind offer rates in the 80s and 90s, some others will have financial changes of circumstance between OCI and your SA resulting in not offering everyone, and some will intend to get 20 SA's and extend 30 offers based on historical yields but accidentally get 25 or 30.
3. If your firm falls in any of the categories in number two, grade drops make for very easy targets when cuts need to be made because they are nice excuses for firms; they can say a few people got no-offered because of grades and not need to cop to financial trouble.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:

^this.

You are my hero, bro.

/worked at same place 1L + 2L summer, got offer -- no one ever asked to see my grades before permanent offer. In other words, they have no idea what my grades are like since fall 1L.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:

^this.

I followed this man's advice but waited to check 2L grades after I had my offer post-SA summer. My grades were bad, real bad. Like, going from top 20% to below median cumulative.

If you check before SA and they're great, you still need to do good work & be a normal BigLaw bro. And if they are bad, it's just going to stress you unnecessarily.

I hopefully won't look at my 3L grades for a few years. Hopefully it doesn't come when I lateral. And if it does, I'll show the employer how cool my wife/dog/alcohol/friends are and they'll understand why I didn't put much work in.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:59 pm

You should check just to tweak your lazy ways a bit. After I bombed 1st semester 2L, I made sure never to take a curved class again, and I learned you can't skip small classes.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:

^this.

But... how do you know whether you can put Coif on your Linkedin page...? :?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

hm, grades seem like nothing to worry about then?

back to 2LOL...soon to be 3LOL.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

^this.

But... how do you know whether you can put Coif on your Linkedin page...? :?

My facebook bio lists me as employed at the nap taking ministry, I don't have a "linkedin page," and my firm bio is purely name/rank/serial number, no organizations or accolades.

Fuck this fucking prestige obsessed industry.

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:

^this.

/shamelessly stealing quote from shock259 in the I'm a 2L thread

Flawless victory.

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Wed May 08, 2013 3:21 am

I'm confused. If you dun check your grades. What GPA do you put out in your resume...

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 am

joetheplumber wrote:I'm confused. If you dun check your grades. What GPA do you put out in your resume...

The last time I needed my resume was fall OGI in 2010. The next time I need my resume I can't imagine my grades will be relevant.

Return to “Legal Employment”