Help me figure out cover letters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me figure out cover letters

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I hope some wise, more experienced attorneys can help me out here! I have found a job that is a really great match for my skills and experiences, so I feel I need to address my perpetual confusion over cover letters (the initial application calls for only resume and cover letter). I really think I've never written a successful cover letter, because every time I've had a good interview that led to a job, it's been pretty clear from the get-go that the person did not even read my cover letter. I've been told/read that you don't want to rehash what's in your resume, but what are you supposed to write? Are there any supervising attorneys out there who can tell me what you want to see? Also, this is a job at a federal agency, but it's been listed on my law school's Symplicity board. My resume is a really, really good match for everything this job calls for. Also links to good articles would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance!!

Bikeflip

Re: Help me figure out cover letters

Postby Bikeflip » Mon May 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope some wise, more experienced attorneys can help me out here! I have found a job that is a really great match for my skills and experiences, so I feel I need to address my perpetual confusion over cover letters (the initial application calls for only resume and cover letter). I really think I've never written a successful cover letter, because every time I've had a good interview that led to a job, it's been pretty clear from the get-go that the person did not even read my cover letter. I've been told/read that you don't want to rehash what's in your resume, but what are you supposed to write? Are there any supervising attorneys out there who can tell me what you want to see? Also, this is a job at a federal agency, but it's been listed on my law school's Symplicity board. My resume is a really, really good match for everything this job calls for. Also links to good articles would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance!!

What does your standard cover letter look like? What year in school are you?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon May 06, 2013 3:05 pm

The reason they seem like they haven't read your cover letter is because no one reads cover letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope some wise, more experienced attorneys can help me out here! I have found a job that is a really great match for my skills and experiences, so I feel I need to address my perpetual confusion over cover letters (the initial application calls for only resume and cover letter). I really think I've never written a successful cover letter, because every time I've had a good interview that led to a job, it's been pretty clear from the get-go that the person did not even read my cover letter. I've been told/read that you don't want to rehash what's in your resume, but what are you supposed to write? Are there any supervising attorneys out there who can tell me what you want to see? Also, this is a job at a federal agency, but it's been listed on my law school's Symplicity board. My resume is a really, really good match for everything this job calls for. Also links to good articles would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance!!

What does your standard cover letter look like? What year in school are you?

I'm a very recent graduate (Feb., passed the bar yay). I try to keep my cover letters succinct- 3 paragraphs. I usually try to express some enthusiasm for the organization/agency and mission, maybe clumsily tie them to my experiences. Other than that, I really don't know what to say other than sort of rehash my resume a bit...

Return to “Legal Employment”