Dropout? MVP Around 60-70%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Questions122

Dropout? MVP Around 60-70%

Postby Questions122 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I was just wondering if I could get any advice. Are there were any benefits of having the above degree outside of practicing law?

Although grades aren't out yet, I feel like I got a bunch of B's again. So I'm not all that confident my GPA will go up.

I have a net worth of about $300,000 if that matters. I got it in a really reckless manner though by trading on margin.

Also, what are my career prospects like? I know big law is out of reach, but could I possibly get a county job or something?

Grazzhoppa

Re: Dropout? MVP Around 60-70%

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm

why not stick it out if you got the cash? just because you won't get biglaw (unless youre at Penn?) doesn't mean you won't be a lawyer.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm

You don't have grades, you don't let us know what you want to do, what your COA is, or anything else. It's hard to give advice.

Although, if you don't want to actually practice law, why the fuck would you be in law school? Unless you want to be a lawyer, run away.

Questions122

Postby Questions122 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:why not stick it out if you got the cash? just because you won't get biglaw (unless youre at Penn?) doesn't mean you won't be a lawyer.

I'd rather not spend all of my money if it doesn't give me any benefits. I'm paying sticker. No loans though.

I'm in the 60th-70% (estimate). Law school is kind of hit and miss for me. There are certain classes I really enjoy, like Con Law, but other classes like Civ Pro and Contracts aren't so enjoyable.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Wait for your grades and come back

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 2:28 pm

FWIW, I know someone at MVP in the bottom half who received multiple big law offers specifically because of his successful trading experience. The offers were, of course, from firms that concentrated on finance.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon May 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 pm

You can get biglaw. Grades are overstated on this forum. Know plenty of people who got biglaw with less than stellar grades. But... but... your interviewing and work experience will matter a lot. Also, you will need some luck and good bidding strategies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 3:02 pm

You're not at all out of range for biglaw. Even some people near the bottom of the class can get biglaw at MVP if they have strong interview skills and relevant work experience, which you seem to have. It's hit-or-miss, but you're much higher than bottom of the class (probably not obviously distinguishable from median) and still have a solid shot. Also, you don't even know your second semester grades yet. Law school grades are frequently untethered from expectations.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon May 06, 2013 4:39 pm

You might as well wait to see if you get biglaw. I think you have a decent shot, depending on your background and personality.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 pm

A fair amount of people from Virginia get biglaw in that grade range. Just make sure you are conservative with your bids (anywhere where you can argue you have ties + secondary markets like Buffalo, Cleveland, Philly, Charlotte etc.). Don't be dumb and waste bids on S&C and and Williams and Connolly.

As everyone said, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to drop out before you even do OCI.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm

At this point, might as well do OCI. Highlight the trading experience, there are firms that are specifically looking for people who don't faint when they see numbers :)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Models and bottles yo.

Questions122

Postby Questions122 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. Usually people are so doom and gloom that I expected otherwise. I just figured being out of top half put me in a lot of trouble.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

to give my own take, i think that firms put quite a bit of stock on interviewing skills, personality, and work experience these days. at the top schools i have seen that a lot of above median students can strike out while below median students can be quite successful as long as you bid well and have the traits listed above. don't give up just yet bro!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 pm

pastapplicant wrote:to give my own take, i think that firms put quite a bit of stock on interviewing skills, personality, and work experience these days. at the top schools i have seen that a lot of above median students can strike out while below median students can be quite successful as long as you bid well and have the traits listed above. don't give up just yet bro!

This makes sense to me because I struck out at OCI at a T6 with good grades and the interviewing skills of an autistic goat.

totoro

Postby totoro » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote: This makes sense to me because I struck out at OCI at a T6 with good grades and the interviewing skills of an autistic goat.

LOL. Just read this and laughed. Not at you striking out but it's nice that you can joke.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I had similar grades at a T10 two years ago - below median, but not drastically, with a few years of substantive work experience - and wound up with a few offers. My sense was that being sub-median with no work experience might be problematic, but work experience + good interviewing + smart bidding + mailing gave people a decent shot at a big or midlaw firm even with subpar grades.

So depending on grades this semester, and whether you write on to LR, you could actually have a pretty good shot at winding up with an offer that you're happy with.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 pm

totoro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: This makes sense to me because I struck out at OCI at a T6 with good grades and the interviewing skills of an autistic goat.

LOL. Just read this and laughed. Not at you striking out but it's nice that you can joke.

Should have just been like that at the interviews, might have come across as more personable with at least some interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm

kryptix wrote:
totoro wrote:

Should have just been like that at the interviews, might have come across as more personable with at least some interviewers.

No, I just would have ended up going too far and making it awkward. This is why I started taking prozac.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm

ajax adonis wrote:If you go to P, you might still get big law. Wait for grades to come out, unless you have to pay more money or something to get them.

You could easily get big law at V with top 60%, probably even right at the 1/3 cutoff and maybe even lower. it didn't seem that many people were having trouble at OGI last year unless their grades were completely awful and/or they had absolutely no interviewing skills

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 am

If you're at M though you're probably in trouble. I was in a similar place and career services told me pretty straight Biglaw was unlikely. But might as well do OCI, can't hurt. Maybe firms will dig deeper in the class this year

bowser

Postby bowser » Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you're at M though you're probably in trouble. I was in a similar place and career services told me pretty straight Biglaw was unlikely. But might as well do OCI, can't hurt. Maybe firms will dig deeper in the class this year

i dont believe career services told u this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 am

bowser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're at M though you're probably in trouble. I was in a similar place and career services told me pretty straight Biglaw was unlikely. But might as well do OCI, can't hurt. Maybe firms will dig deeper in the class this year

i dont believe career services told u this

First of all I was probably more close to the top 70%/bottom 30% than 60/40, but they said almost verbatim "if you want to get a job through OCI your grades MUST come up". did I interpret that wrong? don't get me wrong they've been helpful but they were also brutally honest. they told me that they only knew of one person who had below what my GPA was that got a biglaw offer last year, but that that was an improvement over previous years where no one had.

Questions122

Postby Questions122 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

May I ask what you plan on doing career wise? Would getting a midlaw job or a nonprofit job be out of reach?

Return to “Legal Employment”