taking mediocre GPA off resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
the rza

taking mediocre GPA off resume

Postby the rza » Mon May 06, 2013 12:48 pm

let's say 2010 t14 grad, law review, one year of clerking, two subsequent years of gov't employment. does it strike you as generally acceptable to omit a 3.2ish gpa from resume when applying for a new, non-clerkship, non-biglaw job?

Anonymous User

Re: taking mediocre GPA off resume

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm

the rza wrote:let's say 2010 t14 grad, law review, one year of clerking, two subsequent years of gov't employment. does it strike you as generally acceptable to omit a 3.2ish gpa from resume when applying for a new, non-clerkship, non-biglaw job?

I would think if no GPA than you must have at least your rank on there. I am not sure excluding any reference to your performance in school is wise. 3.2 is a very competitive GPA at a t14, not sure how it hurts you having it on there?

target

Postby target » Mon May 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I am leaning toward No unless the employer specifically asks you to include GPA on your resume.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon May 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Normally, you should expect leaving it off to create a presumption that it's sub-3.0 (non-TLS-groupthink cite), but your credentials might change that. Consider sharing more info on clerkship (article III? relevant geography?) and gov't W/E.

linquest

Postby linquest » Mon May 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I think that's fine to leave it off, esp since you went to a T14 school. After a couple years of practice (real practice of law, maybe not doc review), most non-biglaw employers don't care what your GPA/rank was. After all, those are just predictors of your performance as an attorney, and now you have real practice under your belt to show what you can do. Also, it's a safe assumption that you had decent grades if you clerked, esp ITE.

Return to “Legal Employment”