Firm Size and Culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Size and Culture

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 pm

How does firm size relate to general culture of a law firm? Generally, what is the culture of big firms? Mid-size firms? Small firms?

And generally what are the demands and hours like at each size firm?

rad lulz

Re: Firm Size and Culture

Postby rad lulz » Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm

The culture is:

Make money

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:The culture is:

Make money

And beyond this, it will totally vary by firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Since no one is answering, I'll bite. Based on my experience, I think that firm size has a big impact on culture. My friends that went to smaller firms got more mentoring from partners and more feedback. Some, but not all of my friends at small firms had more of a work/life balance. People socialized with each other outside of work and not just at firm events. I also think smaller firms tend to be more transparent about their financial situation ,etc. Those that went to bigger firms usually did so for the prestige of working at a large valut-ranked firm. The experience is more impersonal, the socializing more geared towards partying among the younger cohorts. There was less of a work-life balance.

Basically, the difference is what you would expect it to be. Again, this is just based on reports from people I know/my own experience.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm

No correlation. Even in a firm that as a whole might not be great, you could end up working with people in a practice group who are awesome, and of course visa versa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since no one is answering, I'll bite. Based on my experience, I think that firm size has a big impact on culture. My friends that went to smaller firms got more mentoring from partners and more feedback. Some, but not all of my friends at small firms had more of a work/life balance. People socialized with each other outside of work and not just at firm events. I also think smaller firms tend to be more transparent about their financial situation ,etc. Those that went to bigger firms usually did so for the prestige of working at a large valut-ranked firm. The experience is more impersonal, the socializing more geared towards partying among the younger cohorts. There was less of a work-life balance.

Basically, the difference is what you would expect it to be. Again, this is just based on reports from people I know/my own experience.

While I agree with the above in general, I would add that practice group also matters. I was at a big firm last summer, and saw wildly differing cultures and attitudes in different groups (since they seem to attract different types of people). For example, the people in real estate & M&A (two relatively large groups in my firm) were usually stressed, a lot less friendly, more impersonal, etc. Whereas in a smaller, slightly more niche group like labor and employment, the people were very cheerful, the experience was far more personal, people seemed to have a far more humane attitude toward one another, etc.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since no one is answering, I'll bite. Based on my experience, I think that firm size has a big impact on culture. My friends that went to smaller firms got more mentoring from partners and more feedback. Some, but not all of my friends at small firms had more of a work/life balance. People socialized with each other outside of work and not just at firm events. I also think smaller firms tend to be more transparent about their financial situation ,etc. Those that went to bigger firms usually did so for the prestige of working at a large valut-ranked firm. The experience is more impersonal, the socializing more geared towards partying among the younger cohorts. There was less of a work-life balance.

While I agree with the above in general, I would add that practice group also matters. I was at a big firm last summer, and saw wildly differing cultures and attitudes in different groups (since they seem to attract different types of people). For example, the people in real estate & M&A (two relatively large groups in my firm) were usually stressed, a lot less friendly, more impersonal, etc. Whereas in a smaller, slightly more niche group like labor and employment, the people were very cheerful, the experience was far more personal, people seemed to have a far more humane attitude toward one another, etc.

m&a to labor and employment.... there's a difference you say?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

The practice group you're in can matter more than the firm, especially if you're stuck in one practice group and don't get to rotate.

Return to “Legal Employment”