DOL Fed Internship in DC area=Good Employment Prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOL Fed Internship in DC area=Good Employment Prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Just wondering if anyone who has worked with the DOL (in any division) in the DC Metropolitan area has a story about how easy it is/was to get hired into the department after graduation.

Even if you didn't stay with the DOL, did the internship help you get in somewhere else?

Thanks.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: DOL Fed Internship in DC area=Good Employment Prospects?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 pm

You may know this already, but DOL seems to make most entry-level hires through its honors program (info on last year's program is here: http://www.dol.gov/sol/jobs/honorsprogram.htm). They don't appear to hire directly out of their internships, but having interned for them definitely seems to be an advantage for getting into the honors program (a lot of the hires have interned for DOL at some point in law school). Keep in mind, though, that for 2012 they got 1000+ applications for 8-12 hires. It's not clear how many people they hired for 2013. There's info about some of the 2010 and 2011 honors attorneys here: http://www.dol.gov/sol/jobs/05-2012_FRA ... GAZINE.pdf (the article's mostly about what they do but it lists names, and you can google/linkedin stalk if you're as obsessive as I am).

Interning for the feds generally is helpful for showing commitment to public service, but there just aren't a lot of positions.

(I didn't intern for DOL, but applied for the honors program.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm

I knew a few people who went from a 1L DOL position to a 2L position at another agency to a 3L honors position, one with the DOL and one with another agency. I also know at least one person who went from 1L DOL to a 2L biglaw position at a firm with a strong employment law practice (note, that person would have likely gotten biglaw regardless based on school and grades). But the DOL hired... maybe 4 3Ls this year? Maybe a handful more? That's nationally, in DC and every field office. It's not an agency that gives 2Ls offers and your chances of working there after 3L are slim.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks to sequestration, your employment prospects in the near future are currently forecast as: nonexistent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 9:02 pm

lukertin wrote:Thanks to sequestration, your employment prospects in the near future are currently forecast as: nonexistent.

OP here

Depressing but true.

Thanks everyone for the responses (please keep them coming!) I do have quite a bit of employment law experience outside of law school, so hopefully that would help my prospects. Obviously though, there is a lot of competition.

Return to “Legal Employment”