1L: Unpaid Prosecutor v. $15/hour Public Interest

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L: Unpaid Prosecutor v. $15/hour Public Interest

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Ok, I'm a 1L who is dead-set on trying to get work as a prosecutor after graduation. I accepted an unpaid internship with the county attorney's office in the state I want to practice in over the summer; however, I was just offered a $15/hour paid position with a legal aid public interest group.

Is showing the dedication to crim law more valuable than the $15/hour position?

Factors to consider:
The county attorney's office said they typically only hire prosecutors who were past interns. In my eyes, it would be a huge advantage for me to be able to show 3 summers with the same position.

If the smarter thing is to go with the public interest position, will I burn any bridges with the county attorney's office who offered me an internship? I'd hate to be screwed down the line by backing out.

I'm barely top half. My stats aren't great. I have no idea how I snagged a paid position. (These were the only two interviews I went on.)

hiima3L

Re: 1L: Unpaid Prosecutor v. $15/hour Public Interest

Postby hiima3L » Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

"I'm a 1L who is dead-set on trying to get work as a prosecutor after graduation."

You have your answer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Don't ditch the prosecutor's office you want to work for especially when they hire their interns

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Fri May 03, 2013 5:33 pm

0L disclaimer

Does your school provide funding for public-sector summer positions? It might not be too different than what you'd make at $15/hr

In any case: if the prosecutor only hires interns and you're dead set on being a prosecutor, this is a no brainer.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 pm

This isn't even a question. Take the prosecutor's office and decline public interest.

I've never heard of legal aid paying a 1L before.

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an unpaid internship with the county attorney's office in the state I want to practice in over the summer; however, I was just offered a $15/hour paid position with a legal aid public interest group.

Is showing the dedication to crim law more valuable than the $15/hour position?

Factors to consider:
The county attorney's office said they typically only hire prosecutors who were past interns. In my eyes, it would be a huge advantage for me to be able to show 3 summers with the same position.

If the smarter thing is to go with the public interest position, will I burn any bridges with the county attorney's office who offered me an internship? I'd hate to be screwed down the line by backing out.

I'm barely top half. My stats aren't great. I have no idea how I snagged a paid position. (These were the only two interviews I went on.)

This too. If you gave them your word you're going to work for them not sure how you could back out unless there's a way to split the summer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 pm

+1 to everything above.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm

This is a dumb thread.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 pm

worldtraveler wrote:This isn't even a question. Take the prosecutor's office and decline public interest.

I've never heard of legal aid paying a 1L before.

the legal aid org I used to work at paid 1L interns before the LSC budget was slashed, now they only have clinical interns.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is showing the dedication to crim law more valuable than the $15/hour position?

Yes. Do DA this summer and next, then extern during 3L in your local DA office. Take all the crim pro classes 2L. After that, just tell your summer office you'd like to do a post-bar internship after you are done with school and awaiting bar results.

Return to “Legal Employment”